Los Veranos zip line and special needs

3mmm

We have been planning for some time to do this zip line in Peurto Vallarta.

I have a 12 year old son who is very adventurous, but has limited use of one hand. He has done a short zip line around here and adapts so well that I never thought about if he can do this until I started looking at videos on line. He will not be able to hold on to the handles with both hands. Has anyone seen someone ride without using both hands on the handles.

I will call and ask, but sometimes the person on the phone is not the one with first hand experience.

Just like Verde Man said, as you go along, they actually encourage you, if you like, to go tandem with a camera man and hang upside down, hence using no hands at all. At first i thought to myself, "no way!" but as we went on I got up the courage and twice went upside down! What a rush! Anyway, I'd probably give them a call just to be sure...wouldn't want to get there and have them tell you that he can't participate, especially if you haven't paid!

• 3 years later...

Never followed up and I figure better late than never.

We explained my sons limitations very clearly to each guide at registration, the equipment area and the briefing. They all told us he would be fine. I was worried because he can't brake and they really emphasized that during the briefing and they didn't seem very concerned.

So we continued to explain it at each zip line. There is a group of guides and they rotate through from front to back of the group so the first few zips we had a different guide at the start. They just sent him on his way. They were all short, slow lines and they told us he would be fine. But after the first couple of lines they realized he would need help on the longer lines so we fell to the back of the group and my son was always the last one to go and on the faster lines he would tandem with the guide. And it was the same one most of the time because once he realized he needed help he hung back with us.

My son loves to be first, so going last did not go over well. He's also very Independent so he wasn't crazy about the tandem but once we all started doing it with the videographer he was fine.

We had a great experience and I would do it again.

You have a kid who does not consider himself disabled and does not limit himself and he is suddenly faced with his limitations! I never considered his disability when we first booked this. So happy it worked so well.