What exactly is the smoking policy???

when making reservation,,I asked,,,a SB agent on phone,,told NO smoking in rooms or balconies,NOW,,,only selected areas on ship....not reflected under frequent questions on website...have seen on Search forum,,older answers,,,,was I told the truth? a new policy??really confused,,have booked Norway cruise for next year,,,and may have to cancel and get deposit back if smoking allowed,,,would be my luck to be next to cigar smoker...whew..hard to believe hasn t changed...so unhealthy....:eek:

Hi, alexandra cruiser. As of March of this year, smoking was allowed in cabins and on verandas. That said, the cabin did not smell of smoke in the slightest. Although on several occasions we had to leave our veranda because the chap next door was smoking a cigar on his.That new policy--it would have to be a really new policy--would be great. But I tend to doubt there could be a change of such magnitude without an eruption--pro and con--on this board.

I can tell you that smoking was allowed in suites and verandahs on the 8/8/10 Sojourn cruise that I got home from last week. But it so wasn't a problem. As far as the interior of the ship, there was a smoking section in the Observation Lounge. Didn't notice anything else.

Please note that i am not trying to start any debate--

I do enjoy the occasional cigar---would never smoke in the cabin but have done so on the balconies of every ship I have ever sailed on (without any problems from those next to us).

However, if someone was next door who had a big problem with that I would try to work out times when they were not out there so I could enjoy my time as well. Who knows, they could be heavy drinkers and get loud/obnoxious out there. Nothing is perfect all the time.

Life is too short to get worked up over this issue.

Remember, at the end of the day we are all destined to have the same fate one way or another.

And as my friend Dave puts it---'There are no pockets in the shroud'

Grouchotoo, alas, you weren't next to us. Actually, we didn't use the veranda much, but slightly resented being driven off it. (Although he had every right to smoke there.) And who told you about my obsessive drinking? Interesting posting name. Have you, like your namesake, mastered the one-liner riposte, accompanied by an eye-brow wiggle? You obviously already have the cigar in hand.

Grouchotoo, alas, you weren't next to us. Actually, we didn't use the veranda much, but slightly resented being driven off it. (Although he had every right to smoke there.) And who told you about my obsessive drinking? Interesting posting name. Have you, like your namesake, mastered the one-liner riposte, accompanied by an eye-brow wiggle? You obviously already have the cigar in hand.

Years back someone was trying to insult me and stated that I reminded him of Groucho Marx (not knowing he was my alter ego)---I promptly thanked him for the compliment.

And yes I occasionally have a good one liner---but try to tone down the sarcasm aspect until I know you well (and you know I am kidding)---or at least had a few drinks with you--lol

-Barry

I don't think anyone smokes in cabins anymore. I actually do smoke but on Sojourn, I only did so when my neighbors weren't on their balconies and if they came out while I was smoking, I immediately put it out. I really think smokers are considerate these days.

I can tell you that smoking was allowed in suites and verandahs on the 8/8/10 Sojourn cruise that I got home from last week. But it so wasn't a problem. As far as the interior of the ship, there was a smoking section in the Observation Lounge. Didn't notice anything else.

Strawbs....I don't see anyone posting a review or any information about their Sojourn cruise. Anything you'd like to tell us about your cruise? Love to hear what they did for evening entertainment, and really anything and everything you feel like sharing. Makes the wait more bearable!

The match has been "lit" on smoking policies. This matter hit my hot-button, considering that cigarettes literally killed my father and two of my uncles before their 67 birthdays. And, irony: all three survived WWII combat in either the South Pacific or European Theaters of Operation. A great incentive for my brother (also an avid cruiser and retired Army Officer) and me never to have taken up the practice.

From my perspective--26+years in the U.S. Army, now retired: Picked up one habit--which is high-test coffee. Got to have several cups a day. As to smokes: anyone's "right" to smoke any tobacco product ends at my nostrils. Simply put: whenever I encounter tobacco byproducts (second-hand smoke) on any ship--and have been aboard Silversea, Regent, Seabourn, Holland America, Princess, Celebrity, and so-on for the past 16 years--outside posted smoking areas, simply contact the hotel manager.

GO ARMY!

Smoking was allowed in cabins/verandahs when I was on the Spirit last year as well, but I can also attest that the cabin did NOT have any indications that smoking ever occurred (and I'm HIGHLY allergic so if it had any residue, I would have known).

Hope this helps some.

As the question is now tabled, and as an earlier poster said that he respects others' rights to smoke, I would like to ask... Why does anyone have a right to smoke on a ship's balcony when the consequence of that is without question that second hand smoke will drift towards another balcony where someone might well be enjoying clean, smoke free sea air?

The Seabourn balconies are not large enough for you to move to its other end and thereby hope to avoid smoke. All you can do is leave the balcony to do so.

It seems to me that for people with balconies to be treated considerately NO ONE should smoke on balconies. That can be reserved for some special area, maybe at the stern of the ship, that is large enough to dissipate smoke, is so ventilated, and that can be easily avoided by non-smokers.

Of course unless Seabourn puts such a policy into effect, and I can understand that they are loath to implement policies that might infringe on some smokers' "rights" to do what they want, others will continually face the risks we all know comes with second hand smoke.

This makes you want to question why you would book a balcony cabin when there is a chance you might find yourself near a smoker who likes to indulge himself at your expense.

Looking forward to our first SB cruise on Pride this October. We have just returned from a 14 day cruise on Oceania (our fav). You may know that O restricts smoking on its ships to only two small areas. On this past cruise, I observed not a single smoker. Times do in fact change and perhaps other cruise lines will begin more restrictive pollicies.

I must admit that the Seabourn smoking policy has been one of my concerns but with all the comments on this board about the cabins not smelling of smoke, and not actually having a balcony to worry about on the Legend, I am actually not too concerned regarding the policy.

I wonder why they can't offer smoking/nonsmoking cabins. I suppose there are issues, people who wish to book a particular cabin that would no longer be available due to the restriction and difficulty on grades/types of cabins matching up with those wanting to book a particular preference.

Smoking is always a hot issue (a burning question?)

I must admit that the Seabourn smoking policy has been one of my concerns but with all the comments on this board about the cabins not smelling of smoke, and not actually having a balcony to worry about on the Legend, I am actually not too concerned regarding the policy.

I wonder why they can't offer smoking/nonsmoking cabins. I suppose there are issues, people who wish to book a particular cabin that would no longer be available due to the restriction and difficulty on grades/types of cabins matching up with those wanting to book a particular preference.

Smoking is always a hot issue (a burning question?)

(Apologies for the double posting, above.)

hoosier74, in the interests of full disclosure, on our first SB cruise on Odyssey, 2 years ago, we met a couple who found that cigarette smoke from the cabin next door was entering their cabin in some way. The initial response by SB was to place room deodorizers at various points in the cabin. Which accomplished nothing. However reluctantly, SB personnel (the Hotel Manager?) spoke to the occupants of the offending cabin, and they thence limited their smoking to the veranda. The way in which the smoke from cabin X found its way to cabin Y was never discovered. I emphasize that despite our concerns about boarding and finding that our new cabin smells like a giant ashtray, that hasn't happened.

As to the resistance of SB to more stringent smoking rules, perhaps it is explained by the higher percentage of Europeans who still smoke, and the number of Europe-based SB cruises with their higher percentage of European passengers. Anyone who has ever dined at a restaurant in Italy knows that no smoking regulations are regularly ignored.Still, I think it is only a matter of time before SB succumbs to passenger pressure and further restricts smoking. A remarkable example of smoking segregation is evident at the the international airport in Buenos Aires--EZE (Ezeiza Ministro Pastrani) --where the main concourse contains a shipping-container-sized structure lined with banquettes and faced with windows on all sides. This is the smoking "lounge", and it is so fogged with cigarette smoke that the figures within are barely discernible. One wants to open the door and scream, "Get out.You're killing yourself." But instead, you pass by congratulating yourself on not having that particular addiction.

still have time to cancel,,but will have to pay for airline change,,,will look into other cruises....if cant find,,will take my chances,,,but feel I was lied to by agent,,,even called back and spoke to her,,,,she said I "misunderstood the areas for smoking" mmm,,right....Have been on many river cruises,Oceania,,and going on Regent in Nov...after this mix up,,,will chose NOT to go on SB again,,,,think its a really poor and unhealthy policy,,plus,,not TOO safe,,,smoking in cabins,,,on ship,,,on ocean...good mix...??

Now will check website,,,plus ask agent...and check these sites,,,before next booking...:mad:

I am not a smoker and my wife suffers from asthma and reacts very badly to smoke. That said, we have never had a problem with second hand smoke on Seabourn whether it be in our cabin, veranda or any of the public areas. We are aware that there are areas that permit smoking and just avoid them.

I am not anti-smoking. If people want to wreck their health then that is their privilege and they are entitled to have a place to do that. However, I do expect them to be segregated from us non-smokers and I think that Seabourn does a pretty good job of this.

From Carnival's published Health, Environmental, Safety and Security Policy:

"Carnival Corporation & plc and its Operating Lines are

committed to:

•Protecting the health, safety and security of our passengers, guests, employees and all others working on behalf of the Company, thereby promoting an organization that is free of injuries, ill health and loss."

How is allowing passengers to be unnecessarily subjected to second-hand smoke protecting one's health?

Didn't Princess have a serious ship fire due to an errant cigarette butt on a balcony?

Guess dollars are more important than passenger health and safety in spite of professed policies.

If I have a smoker on the next balcony, I hope it's you. I fear that most Europeans do not take this attitude. Smoking is still a major way of like in Europe. I'll just take y chances on the Odyssey on 10-30-10. Aloha, Al

I don't think anyone smokes in cabins anymore. I actually do smoke but on Sojourn, I only did so when my neighbors weren't on their balconies and if they came out while I was smoking, I immediately put it out. I really think smokers are considerate these days.

I too am a nonsmoker and aside from the occasional person in the Observation Lounge or at the Sky Bar I have never been bothered by smoke on any of the five ships (not been on the Sojourn yet.) It is truly not pervasive and I certainly would not let it deter me from sailing on SB. Talk about cutting off one's nose to spite one's face. I also would not expect a change in policy soon because, as stated previously there is an ever growing British and European clientele they wish to attract, many of whom smoke more than Americans. Oceania's clientele is much more American so it's easier for them to restrict smoking to one or two areas.

I do enjoy the occasional cigar---would never smoke in the cabin but have done so on the balconies of every ship I have ever sailed on (without any problems from those next to us).

that you were aware of ..........perhalps you neighbors were too genteel to raise the issue ...........just a thought .

also of note : a substantial difference does exist between the emisions from a cigar and those of a cig..............i had a cigar gent next door on a triplet who enjoyed his puro inside and at the rail of his "french balcony " to the point that i could not open my balcony [ and i was f'ward of him ! ].....the purser told me cigars were not permitted in the cabin [ to include at the rail of the "french balcony " ]but .sorry, she could not do anything . i choose not raise it with my neighbor to avoid confrontation . this was 2 years ago. today i would almost certainly not ignore it .............. again , just a thought

Picking up on Wripro's comment about biting off one's nose to spite one's face, I wonder if his view would be different if he did smell smoke in his own cabin (not to mention balcony) because the cabin next door was used by smokers? What then?

I had this experience on Odyssey and it was only relieved when the offending couple left the ship at the end of a longer cruise's segment.

Let's all remember that a ship's ventilation system is a shared utility in that there will be air exchanges between adjacent cabins. And also bear in mind that you have paid a lot of money for your holiday. You have a right to expect a clean and healthy environment.

It does not matter if Seabourn is interested in more marketing penetration favor Europeans who supposedly like to smoke more than Americans do- as if certain nationalites are less understanding of the risks to health of inhaled smoke. If a cruise line cannot sustain your breathing health because they choose not to apply common sense rules about smoking relative to your cabin's environment, then that shows that narrow commercial interests trump

the broader good. That makes no sense and will fail in the long run.

That's the argument for limiting the permissible smoking areas to exterior areas such as some place at the stern of the ship.

A year ago when we were ending a SB cruise, one of the crew told us that a company had reserved the complete spirtit for a cruise. They were ALL heavy smokers and SB knew it. They have apparently done it before. After the cruise the ship went in to be fumigated completely. Of course that was included in the cost to the company. We were told that this happens periodically and you would never know after fumigation that anyone had smoked on the ship. Hard to believe.

that you were aware of ..........perhalps you neighbors were too genteel to raise the issue ...........just a thought .

also of note : a substantial difference does exist between the emisions from a cigar and those of a cig..............i had a cigar gent next door on a triplet who enjoyed his puro inside and at the rail of his "french balcony " to the point that i could not open my balcony [ and i was f'ward of him ! ].....the purser told me cigars were not permitted in the cabin [ to include at the rail of the "french balcony " ]but .sorry, she could not do anything . i choose not raise it with my neighbor to avoid confrontation . this was 2 years ago. today i would almost certainly not ignore it .............. again , just a thought

I have always had the courtesy to specifically ask those on adjacent balconies b4 lighting a cigar. If they have any problem with it I do not light up and do not get upset. I would go up on deck to the areas set aside for smoking. My life does not revolve around cigars---if you are in the cabin next to me and have a problem with a cigar I would hope we could still have a pleasant conversation and enjoy a drink if that is appropriate.

-Barry

I have always had the courtesy to specifically ask those on adjacent balconies b4 lighting a cigar. If they have any problem with it I do not light up and do not get upset. I would go up on deck to the areas set aside for smoking. My life does not revolve around cigars---if you are in the cabin next to me and have a problem with a cigar I would hope we could still have a pleasant conversation and enjoy a drink if that is appropriate.

-Barry

Barry,

If you come with us in the car on St. Barts, then not only can you have a good Scotch, but you can also smoke your cigar!!! My wife loves the smell of cigars. Would have to keep the window open as it is only a small car.

anyhow we can enjoy a Macallan and a cigar at the Sky bar.

Neil

Archived