What exactly is the smoking policy???

Good luck with kicking the habit. I would still hope that you would only smoke in areas that allowing smoking, e cig or not. That would be very considerate.

I am having much success with stopping smoking by using my e cig. Hope everyone on board will appreciate this and not object to my smoking anywhere on the ship as there is little or no odor [may smell a little vanilla or mint] and it is not detrimental to anyone's health including mine. Wish me luck on my crusade to quit!

I would still hope that you would only smoke in areas that allowing smoking, e cig or not. That would be very considerate.

People who use Digital cigarettes - i.e., ecigs - ARE being considerate. Ecigs do NOT emit smoke. A water-based vapor is what is emitted, which consists of 97% vegetable glycerin. Harmless in the atmosphere, as well as being odorless. The fact of the matter is, no tobacco is being burned, no fire is in use and, most importantly, because there is no smoke, there is no tar or carcinogens in the air.

Let's give these folks who are utilizing these devices a little credit and show some compassion in their efforts to conform and reform. THAT would be considerate, in my view.

I think she mentioned that it did emit an smell of some sort. Some of us may not like that smell. I think a possible by product is another smoker seeing this from a distance and then assuming it was OK to light up. It's either smoking or it is not, and I really don't know what it is.

People who use Digital cigarettes - i.e., ecigs - ARE being considerate. Ecigs do NOT emit smoke. A water-based vapor is what is emitted, which consists of 97% vegetable glycerin. Harmless in the atmosphere, as well as being odorless. The fact of the matter is, no tobacco is being burned, no fire is in use and, most importantly, because there is no smoke, there is no tar or carcinogens in the air.

Let's give these folks who are utilizing these devices a little credit and show some compassion in their efforts to conform and reform. THAT would be considerate, in my view.

I think she mentioned that it did emit an smell of some sort. Some of us may not like that smell.

I think we've all been guilty of an offense to the senses at one time or another. To quote the great NFL wide receiver, Chad Ochocinco: "Child, please"...:rolleyes:

Honestly, is this the best you can come up with?

What is an e-cig? Do you have to reboot often?

Bob

For more information you can go to the ecig forum -- just google it. Each ecig has it's own characteristics. The "trick" is to find one that most mimics your smoking habits and lifestyle. I, too, hope that people would support those of us who are trying to quit smoking. Positive reinforcement helps!

I think she mentioned that it did emit an smell of some sort. Some of us may not like that smell. I think a possible by product is another smoker seeing this from a distance and then assuming it was OK to light up. It's either smoking or it is not, and I really don't know what it is.

My bf (now an ex smoker) tried an ecig when he was trying to quit and i actually smelled the vapor that an ecig gives off. Didn't smell like anything, it was the oddest thing. I can almost guarantee you that it doesn't emit enough scent to bother anyone, and esp nowhere near as irritating as carcinogenic smoke. I am highly allergic (or irritated by, as some will say you can't be allergic to it) to smoke and many other allergens and I had no reaction to the vapor.

Of course, your experience could differ, but honestly, if everyone on the ship were smoking ecigs, you'd never notice, imho.

Kudos to those of you who kicked the habit, or are trying to quit, or switched to ecigs to help both your own and others health. :-)

My bf (now an ex smoker) tried an ecig when he was trying to quit and i actually smelled the vapor that an ecig gives off. Didn't smell like anything, it was the oddest thing. I can almost guarantee you that it doesn't emit enough scent to bother anyone, and esp nowhere near as irritating as carcinogenic smoke. I am highly allergic (or irritated by, as some will say you can't be allergic to it) to smoke and many other allergens and I had no reaction to the vapor.

Of course, your experience could differ, but honestly, if everyone on the ship were smoking ecigs, you'd never notice, imho.

Kudos to those of you who kicked the habit, or are trying to quit, or switched to ecigs to help both your own and others health. :-)

Bless you. As a person who has been "vaping" for two months now and, as a result, has been completely off of "analog cigarettes" (tobacco smoking) for the same period of time, I truly appreciate your sentiments.

I only hope this can be a beginning for a true solution and compromise for all alike.

I think they're becoming popular in CA. Friend who is an RN says patients in hospitals even use them. There is no fire hazzard or anything like that. I guess popular on airplanes, hotels or anywhere smoking isn't allowed. Congrats to all who now use e-cigs instead of smoking.

I do support anyone trying to stop. Sorry, if some thought my comment out of line.

Bob

Not at all, Bob -- I actually got a chuckle out of your use of the term "reboot".:D

Thanks for your support. I have been getting so much support from family and friends, and it's what keeps me going.

"Life is too short to get worked up over this issue."

Perhaps, however, for asthmatics like me, life will be even ever so much shorter because of being exposed to someone else's smoke. And, it's not a good way to die. I'm actually pretty frightened by the thought of it.

Sorry if I'm raining on the smokers' parade, but I really suffer with the exposure. It's not something I can afford to take lightly any more.

My choices of cruise lines is therefore quite limited. I keep hoping another cruise line will open up for me. I guess this isn't one of them - yet.

Happy sailing, and, happy breathing.

Susan

Everyone has to take their own personal needs and desires into consideration and book accordingly. It's up to the individual to do what's best for him/herself and not rely on a cruise line to adapt its policies to them.

Not the point really. Cruise lines should cater for the tastes/wishes of the majority, whilst making such provisions as are reasonable to cater for minority interests. So long as those privisions do not impact adversely on the majority of passengers. Not only is this fair and equitable but it makes commercial sense.

As I said in an earlier post, and which I am pleased to reiterate, the hospitality industry (restaurants, bars etc) in many countries long ago decided that it is dangerous to force their staffs to work in a smoke-filled environment. Banning smoking was the remedy. So what's different about a cruise line such as Seabourn where the Observation Lounge is polluted with smoke from the very few addicts? The answer is: Nothing.

Passengers and crew are ENTITLED to enjoy the ship and themselves without exposure to the hazards of smoking!

As I said in an earlier post, and which I am pleased to reiterate, the hospitality industry (restaurants, bars etc) in many countries long ago decided that it is dangerous to force their staffs to work in a smoke-filled environment. Banning smoking was the remedy. So what's different about a cruise line such as Seabourn where the Observation Lounge is polluted with smoke from the very few addicts? The answer is: Nothing.

Passengers and crew are ENTITLED to enjoy the ship and themselves without exposure to the hazards of smoking!

Smoking (tobacco) is not an illegal activity. The regulation of its use is, therefore, up to the individual employer or the regulatory authority for that industry/location. If Seabourn choose not to ban smoking inside entirely and if there is no regulatory requirement for them to do so, then that is their right. It is then up to the employee or the passenger to decide whether an environment where smoke might be present is unacceptable and either not take the job or not go on the cruise.

Some people believe in the benefits of social legislation for the good of the community and some people believe in the free market which is meant to deliver the goods. The context is topical in philosophical, political and social dialogue today. Food for thought...

I hope that Seabourn will soon ban smoking in all interior spaces for the good of everyone. It's nothing more than a risk management mitigation tool. Passive smoke inhalation is recognlzed as dangerous, after all. Simple as that.

Some people believe in the benefits of social legislation for the good of the community and some people believe in the free market which is meant to deliver the goods. The context is topical in philosophical, political and social dialogue today. Food for thought...

I hope that Seabourn will soon ban smoking in all interior spaces for the good of everyone. It's nothing more than a risk management mitigation tool. Passive smoke inhalation is recognlzed as dangerous, after all. Simple as that.

Amen.

I posted this on the SS board yesterday. However it seems just as relevant here.

This smoking debate is happening on all cruise-boards and has been beaten to death repeatedly.

The problem with it is, recently when some of the cruise-lines went to all no smoking ships

with total smoking bans, it was a dismal financial failure. Non smokers in all their bluster still did not support the idea, so it failed. Even with huge fanfare and publicity the cruise-lines lost big money.

The cruise-lines in question lost big money and the idea was dropped after only one and a half years of operation.

Mind you this was only 3 years ago so it is not old news.

Personally as a non smoker, l have a bigger safety concern with drunks and intoxication on board ships than l do with smokers.

Many more people are hurt and killed at sea from drinking and alcohol related safety and social issues than smoking.

But the thing that disturbs me the most is when sophisticated intelligent non smoking adults, knowingly Pay & take a cruise on a cruise-line that they know clearly allows smoking and then all they want to do is complain about the smokers.

If you are truly concerned with your health, then why did you take the cruise.

Why did you book it in the first place if you are so against it??

People need to be responsible for their own decisions.

Please indicate which cruise lines banned smoking some years ago only to reverse the policy.

It will be interesting to evaluate the decisions you say they reached on whatever business model they apparently used in terms of what the vast majority of informed people enjoy in their hometown restaurants and bars- smoke free interior spaces.

So my next questions have to be:

- What does the Carnival demographic indicate about health issues and concerns among Seabourn passengers?

- Is what you say about Micky Arinson a fact or your opinion?

In any case, Seabourn passengers (including smokers, and those trying to quit the habit) and crew deserve smoke-free indoor spaces!

- "What does the Carnival demographic indicate about health issues and concerns among Seabourn passengers?"

I have no idea, perhaps you should ask them!

I do know that Carnival owns Seabourn.

At the time of the announcement that the trial was to take place, MA stated at the annual Seatrade conference in Miami, that it was due to requests by some passengers and the anti tobaco lobby.

If my memory serves me correctly he said that if it was successfull there would be a further rolling out to other ships and lines in the Carnival stable.

I know when he canceled the trial and rated it as a failure, the anti tobaco lobby was up in arms and called on a boycott of Carnival products, but this did not eventuate.

I do remember him making comments at Carnival's AGM (televised)that the trial was very costly to the bottom line due to low occupancy and forward bookings and as a result the trial was canceled 6 months early and would not be repeated on other ships.

He also sited problems in staffing as well. He said they found it very difficult to recruit and maintain full non smoking foreign crews.

He said that he believed that if the ship was to be non smoking, that meant below decks as well as passenger services.

My personal opinion is, that most other cruiselines were watching for the results of this trial. It was anounced with lots of fanfare and publicity and gained lots of worldwide media.

When the trial failed due to lack of support, the others brushed their hands of the idea as unworkable, and were probally glad Carnival took the loss and not them.

However, if the trial had been successfull, you could bet that the others would have jumped on the bandwagon as well.

I really did think the trial would be a shoe in.

I was very suprised that non-smokers did not support it.

But the $$$ bottom line proved me wrong.

The vast majority of ships now have a majority of internal space smoke free.

Because smoking is not illegal I will not begrudge smokers their few and far between designated area's to enjoy their habit.

I just enjoy the rest of the ship without a problem and steer clear of area's that bother me.

As l said earlier, if people are that concerned with it, don't go.

But if you do knowingly go, you go with the facts and you can't blame anyone but yourself.

The best way to change corporate policy and thinking is to withhold your custom/$$$. Over time this is proven to move mountains.

As long as people keep handing over the $$$ the staus quo will stand as is.

Archived