Sept 11 - Eastern Carribean - Weather

SteenMason

HI everyone,

Just starting to get a little worried about the weather for the next few weeks as we prepare for our first cruise to the Eastern Carribean leaving on September 11th.

I know its hard to predict the weather 3 or 4 days in advance let alone 14, but I cant help but thinking if our curise will be impacted by a hurricane or a bad tropical storm.

Im keeping my eye on possible Hurricane Fiona.

I'm certainly no expert but I would venture to guess that Fiona will either be long gone by the time you get ready to cruise or will be a once in a lifetime storm that circles through the eastern caribbean twice.

Offhand, I can't think of that ever happening.

You need to be concerned about two things: a wave that comes off the coast of Africa about a week prior to your cruise or a home brew storm that begins in the Caribbean and makes its way towards Florida from there.

Good luck. Hurricane cruising is always exciting.

We are going on the Dream Sept 11th.. flying in the morning off.. and watching Earl and the one after... also a small formation forming off the coast now. but not of much formation yet... so watching 3 things.. Going to St Martan and St Thomas.. Looks like they are all going to the west more than they expected so who knows... We will have to all pray our flights get in and we dont miss the ship... and the storms slow down. Is first time cruising for my use to be in Navy new husband.. Honeymoon here we come..

We've been storm-watching too! My family will be on the September 11 sailing of the Oasis. It looked, yesterday, like Gaston was going to be an issue but he has apparently fizzled... Here's to hoping that neither Hermine nor Igor affect our week at sea!

My friends & I are first time cruisers, sailing Sept 12 on Libery of the Seas to the Western Caribbean. We are freaking out just a bit :eek:

The only feature to watch right now are the remnants of Gaston over the Leewards. Hermine is a classic example of how quickly a tropical system can develop - from a weak disturbance a few days ago to almost a hurricane at landfall.

I don't have the prettiest graphics on my website, but hopefully the most accurate forecasts.

The only feature to watch right now are the remnants of Gaston over the Leewards. Hermine is a classic example of how quickly a tropical system can develop - from a weak disturbance a few days ago to almost a hurricane at landfall.

I don't have the prettiest graphics on my website, but hopefully the most accurate forecasts.

Hi Hurricane Expert,

I have checked the 10 day forcast for Ochos Rios and Grand Caymen as we will be on the Destiny 9/11 sailing into these ports on 9/13 & 9/14. It is currently showing No Sun and 60% chance of showers... Will the remnants of Gaston be there at those times? I'm feeling a bit bummed, two ports in the rain!

Thanks,

Rebecca

Thank you :) I have been watching the weather coming off Africa & in the Atlantic.

Hi Hurricane Expert,

I have checked the 10 day forcast for Ochos Rios and Grand Caymen as we will be on the Destiny 9/11 sailing into these ports on 9/13 & 9/14. It is currently showing No Sun and 60% chance of showers... Will the remnants of Gaston be there at those times? I'm feeling a bit bummed, two ports in the rain!

Thanks,

Rebecca

I pay no attention to long term forecasts. It's normal for the Caribbean Islands to have a passing shower each day this time of year. Once every several days a more organized tropical wave will give a day that can be more rainy. I wouldn't pay much attentioin to any forecast in the tropics more than 3 days out. Gaston should be past Jamaica and the Caymans by then, the question will be does it start to redevelop some in the west Carib? Too early to tell.

Is it time for me to be concerned for my Sept 26th cruise to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Jamaica??? Please tell me its going to quiet! LOL...I know the chances when booking....I just cant seem to figure out these maps!

Archived