belize shore excursions

cherlynn11

We took our kids on the Lamanai excursion . theywere 17 to 24 (4 years ago) it was just the seven of us and the guide i.c. the trip was their most memorable part of the trip. we went down the river and saw a croc, howler monkeys. then to get to the ruins in the rain forest it is just amazing. don't know if island marketing is still doing this trip and it was one of the more expensive ones but it was worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Belize last year around Xmas time. I was the only one in my group who wanted to go to a Mayan ruin site, so I arranged for an excursion to Lamanai. The rest of the family went cave tubing.

I met Antonio outside the tender area, and we had to wait about 15 minutes for another family (with an 11 year old girl), then we were on our way. The drive is about an hour, and then an hour boat ride. I liked being out on the water, it was a nice day, and we saw some wildlife along the way.

The ruins are an amazing experience. You can climb up one of the temples, which the kids loved (me too!); at another, which we couldn't walk on, howler monkeys began gathering in the trees above us, and even though we couldn't see any of them, their sounds kept getting louder and louder as they congregated. It was beautiful, eerie, exciting, and I wish I'd had a video camera to record the sound. My only disappointment was that the big masks were being restored, so they were surrounded with scaffolding and we couldn't get close to them, nor get any good pictures.

I think kids would love this since they can do some climbing, but they also have to be able to tolerate the travel time there and back. And you have to have a tolerance for some risk if you book the trip with an independent (as I did). It's a good distance to travel, and in my case, because of the amount of time we had in port, we were back about 45 minutes / one hour before our last tender. Not really a close call, but a flat tire or boat engine trouble makes it close.

Oh yeah, and because of the weather and high seas, cave tubing was cancelled for that day, so everyone else was stuck around the ship.

What would you recommend for 13 and 16 yr old to do as a shore excursion in the port of belize?

I would say the Airboat Adventure and Belize City Tour. You can check out my review here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1263491 The airboat ride is fun and the Belize City Tour would give them some background history of the city and let them see the sights.

Archived