Paradise Beach Review, 02/09/2005

Mikey8Ohio

Cozumel and Paradise Beach

Sadly, I have just returned from a 7 day Caribbean Cruise onboard the Norwegian Majesty. I have posted a review of the ship on the NCL board, if you are so inclined, you may read it there. This review is about Paradise Beach, as this is the only stop we made in Cozumel other than some shopping by the pier.

Arrival: We docked at Punta Langosta pier, and walked out into the wonderful sunshine on the dock. The long walk to the main gate was just what I needed after an evening of doing nothing even resembling physical activity. As part of apparent renovations, the front area of the port is completely closed. There was no discernible signage to direct us towards a taxi, and as a result, we walked several blocks until we found the back way into where the taxi area was. Once there, we found a willing driver, and ascertained a price of $15.00 before we departed for Paradise Beach.

The Beach: As we pulled into the driveway for Paradise Beach, it was obvious that the place was very well cared for. The lush green grass, the trimmed vegetation, and the CLEAN look of the place spoke of attention to detail. As we exited the taxi, a gentleman approached us and inquired as to if we wished to purchase the wrist band for the water toys/accessories. I said not yet, I want to look around, and he quickly moved away. No pressure, no problems. I had a small delivery for Paradise Beach Tom, and I left this with the bartender, and then decided to purchase the wrist bands. We moved through the restaurant/bar area and to the beach. I found a changing room, and quickly changed into my swim suit. The changing room was very clean, as were the restrooms, but the door wouldn’t close completely and would not lock. This was not a big deal to me; I figured I would probably scare anybody who opened it by mistake. The day was a bit overcast, but warm enough for me; having come from 17 degree weather in northeastern Ohio. It was fairly early in the day, around 11:30 AM, and the beach was not very full. The sand was beautiful and white and clean. It appeared that it had been raked and smoothed before the resort opened a few hours previously. The chairs were all arranged in a very symmetrical order, with umbrellas up in anticipation of the coming sun. The floats were placed strategically all over the beach for anyone to grab and make use of. The pyramid and trampoline were in the water, and had a few users enjoying them as we walked to our chairs. We set about the business of relaxing and working on our tans, and the sun came out to cooperate. I ventured into the water, and managed to make a raft hold my girth so I could truly feel like I was in Paradise. After a nice swim, and baking on the beach, we moved to the main area for lunch.

The Food: I honestly expected to find the food adequate, and not too different from a chain style Mexican restaurant. I don’t know why I expected that, I just assumed that a beach club catering to American tourists would not want to stretch their culinary wings too far. Man, was I wrong. This food would not be out of place on the table of a five star restaurant. The freshly made tortilla chips and salsa and guacamole that we had as an appetizer were better than any we’ve ever had. I ordered the chimichanga and was again blown away by how good it was. It was perfectly cooked, not greasy, and offered with Mexican rice that was absolutely delicious. My girlfriend got the fried shrimp, and was also dazzled by the dish. The shrimps were cooked perfectly, and again not greasy and with a delicious coating. I had two beers while enjoying the meal, and was only slightly disappointed that Carta Blanca or Corona beers were not available. Trust me, if you go to Paradise Beach, have the chimichanga, you will not forget it anytime soon.

Paradise Beach Tom: When we finished our meal, we found Tom had arrived and received the goodies we brought for him. Tom is a real charmer, a friendly, funny and engaging man. He has a genuine concern for all of his customers, and obviously instills this concern in his employees. All of the staff members were courteous and polite, and glad to provide their services. Tom took the time to walk up and down the beach, meeting and greeting all of the sunbathers, and making sure everyone was having a great time. Whoever put him in this position is a genius, because he is perfect for the job. By the way, for all of the ladies who want to see a picture of Tom, I took several, and was planning to post them here in this review, but somehow, during the download to my computer, I lost all of them. So, I will suffice to say, he looks a little like a better looking and thinner version of me.

Leaving: Sadly, as the ship was only in town for 8 hours, we had to depart the beach. Taxis were readily available right outside the main door, and once we settled on a price we were on our way back to the ship.

Overall, I would without reservation recommend this beach to anyone who is looking for a relaxing, charming afternoon in paradise. The cleanliness, the excellent service, and the fabulous food make it a top notch experience in my book. On a personal note, Tom, thanks very much for your hospitality, sorry we had to leave to go shopping; I almost wanted to break my leg as your suggested. (a joke!!). Hope you enjoyed the raviolis and soup, next time I will bring the Peppercorn Pate.

Hi Randi

Sorry I missed you guys. We went to the beach after leaving the goodies for Tom and didn't see anyone around that looked familiar. We did meet up with Tom after we had lunch and had a nice talk with him. Still, a fabulous time spent in Paradise.....Mike

Wow! Thanks for the detailed review. Here I sit at my desk with a cold and the mid-winter blues. Reading your review, I can just feel the warm sunshine and pleasure of walking down the beach, enjoying a pineapple drink and refreshing swim. Ah, I can't wait for my turn at PB. Thanks!

I know what you mean about the mid-winter blues, they were suddenly and unwantedly thrust upon me Monday morning when I arrived in my office. Last night I looked at the video and pics that I took of PB and can't believe that it will probably be another year before I can rest easy on the beach again. Oh well, the price of not being rich and famous. Thanks again for the kind comments.......Mike :)

Hey Mike! Nice meeting and chatting with you that day. Yes, the treats were just fine, was getting tired of all that fresh fish and lobster on the island ;) !

Thanx so much for that detailed review, so glad you found PB to your liking, and thanx for the compliments! (We fixed that lock BTW :) )

Come back any 'ole time, and if you can actually get that pate here, you'll be greatly compensated :D !

Hasta la vista!

• 2 weeks later...

I will be coming to Cozumel in April with a bunch of co workers. Paradise Beach sounds like the place for us. I want to snorkel. Can I walk down to another beach and get a snorkel trip out to a reef. I was at Mr. Sanchos about a year ago and they had some available.

Susan

Sorry for the delay...lots of stuff goin on lately!!

Here's a post from last year about our snorkeling:

We were on the Carnival Triumph, just got back this morning. On Monday we were at Paradise Beach. WONDERFUL! There were at least 4 ships in port and no crowds at all. The beach is beautiful, bathrooms clean, service was great. The taxi's all know where it is so it's very easy to get too. We had 2 chairs and an umbrella and a nice table in between. We used the mats to float on. We also snorkled and for all you snorkel fans, it was way better than anticapated. If you snorkel out almost to the bouys, there are a couple of coral heads. They are not very big, but there was a lot of fish around them. The day had started out rainy and cloudy so the water was a litle stirred up and choppy but you could still see very well. I saw some of the biggest conch I've ever seen. We saw parrot fish, angel fish, blue tangs, lots of juveniles of different kinds, and a nice variety of other small fish. We shopped first so we didn't get there until around 1pm. Our server was fantastic. Tom, I wish I would have gotten his name! Anyway, if you are thinking of going, do it, you won't regret the decision. Next time we're in Cozumel, we're going back. The nachos were great! Our total bill was $33 and we had several drinks and the food. Can't beat that! I'll be glad to answer any questions.

Full snorkel equipment (incl. vests), floating mats, kayaks, climbing "iceberg" and water trampoline are included with the purchase of the $5USD water activities bracelet.

We don't officially have a minimum, but you are expected to buy something...if ya don't, we'll have to close!

Yes, loads of pineapples...have fun!

Archived