Mazatlan or Puerto Vallarta?

smoosh21

Which city is nicer to walk around in, and more of a "don't miss"? I am trying to plan my excurions and if I plan one that takes me outside of the port all day, giving me little time to explore the city, which one would you say is the better one to visit.

By nicer to visit, I am looking for a town with a nice area to walk around in, a nice restaurant to stop in and some nice shops to look through. Some of the excursions only give you an hour or so to see the towns and if one is much nicer than the other, I want to see the nicer town.

Thank you for your input.

I agree, P.V. is nicer for walking around. Stop at the Cathedral, too. Lots of nice shops. And a local market for tourist stuff. A nice promenade along the ocean.

It's my favorite port in Mexico.

If you are interested in a massage before returning to the ship, there is a little local massage place right across from the shops at the pier. It's in a small shopping area. Last year I got a very relaxing massage for a very reasonable price. About $25, I think. I'm looking forward to another visit in April.

Happy cruising, Joanne

Both are fun to visit. In PV you can just go downtown to the square and wander around. In Mazatlan, take a cab to the opera house and there is a small plaza there that is very nice and the buildings are similar to those found in New Orleans. You can walk to the ocean from there or to the cathedral and the large plaza which is more commercial. In both cases a cab will run $4-5 each way from the ship.

Gary

Have been to both many times.

If your are considering a tour in Matzalan, it will include a stop at the ship's designated shopping area - over the years we have noticed that it is very run down!

Also in Puerto Vallarta the ship's tour will include a shopping tour - a little better than Matzalan.

Neither of the ports have great shopping at the pier.

Puerto Vallarta does have a "flea" market within walking distance of the pier - HAL no longer is at the main pier - a new pier has been built which is further away from the "flea" market shops.

We actually prefer Puerto Vallarta as there are more tours offered here and the stores and restaurants are much better. JOHO

Also HAL ships tend to have longer hours in Puerto Vallarta giving you a chance to tour, shop and enjoy the town.

When we were in Puerto Vallarata we did not take the ship's tour, which was in a bus. At the port they were offering van tours for $20.00. We took a 3 hour tour, that took us to the new tourist area, (The one you see to the north of where you dock.) Buses are unable to go to Gringo Gulch, because of the hills. Here we saw the famous Eliz. Taylor-Richard Burton house. I recommend this tour. We had not been to P.V. for 10 years. It has really grown.

We've been to both places twice. PV is a "turista" city, but NOT handicap friendly, not that Mazatlan is either, but probably easier walking. Mazatlan is less of a tourist city IMO--I would say that the section frequented by tourists in Mazatlan is much smaller than in PV. We have not taken any excursions in PV but have seen it on our own with no difficulties.

There is a shopping arcade of sorts at the pier at Mazatlan with all kinds of shops -you take a tram from the ship to the arcade. If you want to go into town from the arcade, you wil need a taxi. The tram is free and you will have to take it back from the arcade to the ship upon return.

In PV, it is a very long walk from the pier to the shopping district-taxis are abundant but pay attention to the port lecturer about which ones to avoid.

Our preference for shopping between PV and Mazatlan, is PV, but for the Mexican Riviera, Cabo is our overall favorite shopping location. Hope this helps.

You dock at a cargo area in Mazatlan but there is a free shuttle to take you from the ship to the "CruiseTerminal" where there are a few assorted shops and vendors. Unless you are good walkers, you would need a taxi to go further into the town.

In PV you are docked at a pier from which you can walk to the "flea market". Prices are high wherever you go. You are also within easy walking distance of the N. American institution - WalMart and Sam's club. Too bad they spoil the view from the ship.

I can tell you from personal experience that PV is not easy to navigate if you have mobility issues. There is a lot of traffic, the streets have cobblestones, and the curbs are VERY high. The malecon, however, is located on the ocean side of the main road , and is quite easy to navigate. Very broad and smooth, and some beautiful sculptures to look at as well. As long as you take a taxi or bus to the Malecon, you'll be fine, but DO NOT attempt to walk elsewhere!

P. Vallarta......

If you take a bus or cab to the beginning of the Malecon (the sea blvd), you can make a nice long walk along the sea. Plenty of benches to sit down. You have a nice niew over the bay.

Across the street there are many shops and restaurants.

At the end of malecon there is an island in Rio Cuale with more shops.

Ditto Ine's post. We have been to both many times on land cruises. Considering the amount of time you have take a taxi to the Malecon. In addition to the shops and restaurants you can watch the parasailors up close. The Rio Cuale flea market is one of the best and there are some nice restaurants on the river. We took my stepdad who is mobile though very slow and needs a rest every city block or so. Took us 6 or 7 hours to walk the Malecon and Rio Cuale area.

The OP did ask which city is "nicer" to walk around in and I've got to think Mazatlan wins hands down.

The MacDonald's at the top of the Malecon in PV is the only one I've seen recently with a security card on the door.

There were no "local" restaurant's in the Cathedral/Plaza Principale area of PV - just chains like Carlos & Charlies, Senor Frogs, No-Name Cafe, etc. THe major feature of each, based on the signs in their windows, was the weekly wet t-shirt contest.

In contrast, the cathedral/plaza principale area of Mazatlan had many local, well-patronized eateries and you could walk the Malecon (and even the hyper-touristy zona dorada) without being importuned every 5 steps.

Now, I'll defer to those with more time than I in these cities if they'll point out particular areas to visit (I don't recommend the area near the dock in either city), but for the cruise passenger working from a guide book I'd say there's no choice but Mazatlan is "nicer" to walk around in.

• 3 weeks later...

WOW! Thanks everyone for your help on the mobility issue. It's taken me awhile to find this post again but I'm so glad that I did. We have kind of decided that for my hubby we're going to go Mazatlan as our "touring" day and realize that we'll just have to use cabs whenever we need to. Does anyone have any "do not miss" places for Mazatlan? DaCrewser (sp?) you seemed to really love Mazatlan, anything really special there that you would suggest?

Thanks for everyone's help!!

We sailed the PAcific Itinerary last summer ( and were shocked by how cool - as in cold - the water was......guess we're spoiled by the Caribbean). However - not really impressed with either port for a walkabout exploring. In PV we rented a car - and had a great time getting out of the city and exploring. In Mazatlan we booked our own tour with Randi's Happy Horses - found her from these boards......it was the VERY BEST horseback tour we've ever booked.......loved it - nice long ride on a beautiful beach followed by lunch, drinks and beachtime at Victor's - and Randi & crew were wonderful.

Smooz

We just took the tour of the Sierra madre, Concordia and Copala! It was great!

We enjoyed the drive, the local brick-making, small furniture shop, the Mexican colonial town of Concordia and especially Copala---cobblestone streets, brightly-painted buildings and the old plaza. (Only 900 people in the village.) I strongly recommend. Everyone on our tour seemed to really enjoy. Back on the ship those on the tour spoke in very positively about our day.:)

If going into PV, remember, The Carnival Pride gets the dock and the Oosterdam tenders in. It's a real trick trying to get INTO the tenders if you try to return to the ship when the tide goes out (around 2PM when we were there. in Feb.) You'll have to step down two or three narrow concrete steps on the pier into the tenders that has raised wooden steps down into the boat itself. (While ducking to NOT hit your head) Everyone got in safely, but it is difficult for those with mobility problems. You might ask the officiers on the dock when it would be best to take tender back to ship.

If going into PV, remember, The Carnival Pride gets the dock and the Oosterdam tenders in. It's a real trick trying to get INTO the tenders if you try to return to the ship when the tide goes out (around 2PM when we were there. in Feb.) You'll have to step down two or three narrow concrete steps on the pier into the tenders that has raised wooden steps down into the boat itself. (While ducking to NOT hit your head) Everyone got in safely, but it is difficult for those with mobility problems. You might ask the officiers on the dock when it would be best to take tender back to ship.

OMG! Thank you SO much for that info! I'll make sure the boys and my brother-in-law are there to help. That could be very embarassing for him. Thank you again!

We sailed the PAcific Itinerary last summer ( and were shocked by how cool - as in cold - the water was......guess we're spoiled by the Caribbean). However - not really impressed with either port for a walkabout exploring. In PV we rented a car - and had a great time getting out of the city and exploring. In Mazatlan we booked our own tour with Randi's Happy Horses - found her from these boards......it was the VERY BEST horseback tour we've ever booked.......loved it - nice long ride on a beautiful beach followed by lunch, drinks and beachtime at Victor's - and Randi & crew were wonderful.

I have emailed her to see if she still has room for us. There is no information though as to how long the ride is for, can you tell me how long your ride was and what time you got back to the ship? How far is it from the ship? Do they take you back? I'm thinking it would be fun for my husband and daughter to meet us at Victor's for lunch and we can all go back to the ship after lunch or at least into the town area to do some sightseeing. Those pulmeria's look like a lot of fun too!! I have to thank everyone, this was the one port that I wasn't very excited about and now I can't wait to get there!

I think the whole trip took between 3 & 4 hours.....which left plenty of time to shop & explore when we got back tothe ship (I'm a shopper - much to my DH's dismay). This was a VERY unique trip....reminds one of the movie "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.....Randi will meet you after you come ashore......near the little shops.....they (all the tour guides - except those booked through the ship)are not allowed to come out to the boat anymore. Everyone waits until all the reserved guests have arived....then off you go. First journey was by truck....to the docks.....where you catch a local ferry that Randi has prearranged. The docks are very 3rd world - we took tons of pictures.....buy this time - my husband and friends were questioning my sanity and what I had gotten them into. After the ferry ride - anothe ride - tractor If I remember correctly - to the horses.....again - you might see just about anything on this leg of the trip.....only a select few can live on Stone Island - those with deed to raise the coconuts. Again - my DH and friends were pretty unsure of the situation.....I had read plenty about Randi - so I was still confident that it would be an experience of a lifetime.

We mounted the horses....good horses - Randi takes care - and they are great......no old nags here.....and of to ride through the coconut plantation......suddenly - you break through to the deserted beach....as far as you can see.....and off you go. We are all riders - so this gave us a chance to run....others took their time and we would go back and forth.....between the view, the fresh salt air, the great horses and ride - it was THRILLING! My DH & friends agreed - it was the BEST shore tour ever ( and we all travel & cruise alot). Sad to end our great ride - we next went to Victors for great food, drink, and fellowship - you can also swim and bargin withthe peddlers.....Randi chases away those she does not approve of. Bring your camera for great shots from the beach - and group & individual photo's on horseback.

Archived