Vatican tickets and Florence by train from Rome

DanManBob

1. A friend mentioned that I can purchase Vatican tickets in advance and avoid lines. Suggestions on this from anyone - yes/no? if yes, when/where/how? (October 4)

2. Plan to take high speed train from Rome to Florence for a long day. Should we do this in advance? Etc. (October 3)

Yes, do purchase your tickets for the Vatican museums in advance, directly from the Vatican. There's no point waiting in lines that can be so easily avoided.

As for the train tickets, there's no need to purchase them far in advance and, in fact, you probably can't anyway as the Trenitalia site generally rejects all but Italian credit cards for on line purchase.

If you will be in Rome for a day or more prior to your trip to Florence, you can easily purchase your train tickets at any station or at any travel agent displaying the Trenitalia logo in their window (which is just about every travel agent). There is no additional fee for buying through a travel agent.

However, if you can't manage to get the tickets, don't worry. The trains between Rome and Florence are frequent and it's not hard to get tickets. You may not be able to get four seats exactly together at the last minute, but you'll certainly get on.

1. A friend mentioned that I can purchase Vatican tickets in advance and avoid lines. Suggestions on this from anyone - yes/no? if yes, when/where/how? (October 4)

http://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/do?action=booking

But I am afraid that for the good times the tickets are sold out. I am checking to change for tickets for the afternoon of October 4 but all sold out and only morning tours were available a couple of days before.

2. Plan to take high speed train from Rome to Florence for a long day. Should we do this in advance? Etc. (October 3)

As long-distance trains in Italy are mandantory to reserve I would book by internet.

Especially you get bargains like 30% off if you book a couple of weeks ahead:

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=ad1ce14114bc9110VgnVCM10000080a3e90aRCRD

If you buy at least 15 days ahead of your travel you can get upto 30% discounts (called nemo 30-tickets).

So if you wait until you are travelling you can only buy full fare tickets.

Once the tickets are sold out you cannot get any discounted tickets for the train.

So the earlier you book the higher the chance that you get cheaper tickets.

CAUTION: you must be registered with Verified by Visa or Secured Master Card-Programme to make payments. If you do not have it:

your transaction will not be authorised and if you try it a few times: do not wonder if you get no immediate authorisation when you try to make a domestic purchase.

Regards

HeinBloed

As long-distance trains in Italy are mandantory to reserve I would book by internet.

Especially you get bargains like 30% off if you book a couple of weeks ahead:

If you buy at least 15 days ahead of your travel you can get upto 30% discounts (called nemo 30-tickets).

So if you wait until you are travelling you can only buy full fare tickets.

Once the tickets are sold out you cannot get any discounted tickets for the train.

So the earlier you book the higher the chance that you get cheaper tickets.

CAUTION: you must be registered with Verified by Visa or Secured Master Card-Programme to make payments. If you do not have it:

your transaction will not be authorised and if you try it a few times: do not wonder if you get no immediate authorisation when you try to make a domestic purchase.

While what HeinBloed says is true, it is generally not applicable to those purchasing from the United States.

Also, while reservations are necessary, they can be made moments before the train departs, it does not need to be far in advance.

There is no need to book train tickets in advance. In the very first train station you are in, buy your train tickets (even if its several days in advance). For the Eurostar (fast) trains, be absolutely certain of what train you want to take. Tickets are train number, train car, and seat number specific. Changes and refunds are next to impossible (unless you live in Italy).

There is no need to book train tickets in advance. In the very first train station you are in, buy your train tickets (even if its several days in advance). For the Eurostar (fast) trains, be absolutely certain of what train you want to take. Tickets are train number, train car, and seat number specific. Changes and refunds are next to impossible (unless you live in Italy).

Thanks. Yes, we traveled via Eurostar to/from Paris/London several years ago, so I have some familiarity with the need for a specific reservation.

I am surprised about everybody's advise NOT to pre-book the tickets for the train:

FSRomFirES02-vi.jpg

I. e. if you buy short-notice at the counter you have to pay 44.00 EUR or 55.00 EUR for Rome - Florence.

If you buy at least 7 days in advance you pay 37.00 EUR.

If you buy at least 15 days in advance you pay only 31.00 EUR.

So why paying more for the same train if you are able to plan your tour???

Regards

HeinBloed

Archived