How does RC handle Hurricanes?

Thought I would ask because I am scheduled to go to Bermuda next week and am watching hurricane Earl head up the coast. Do they cancel? I think we would have to go through him no matter what.

They won't cancel as long as the departure port is not in danger. They will alternate the route though if they need to.

Thought I would ask because I am scheduled to go to Bermuda next week and am watching hurricane Earl head up the coast. Do they cancel? I think we would have to go through him no matter what.
No way will they go through a Hurricane!! they will not cancel, Canada maybe?

When I took the Bermuda cruise a hurricane hit Bermuda (not badly) two days before we were going and another was coming up the coast. We packed extra long pants and capris in case we ended up in Canada as there are not a lot of options for a 5 day cruise.

We managed to sneak in between the two hurricanes and while is was pretty rough at Horseshoe Beach the weather was gorgeous and the Explorer handled the seas beautifully.

We met some others from the Norwegian ship and it didn't fare as well. Two people were so miserable that they were actually flying home from Bermuda rather then getting back on that ship.

To be deverted from Bermuda from NY/NJ is to go north. If I am not mistaken, Explorer is 5 days?

A few year back when a hurricane hit Bermuda all ships from NY/NJ went north. Folks flying in for the first sailing that did this did not ever know until they got to port. Bermuda was closed to ships for a few weeks. They all went to Canada, etc.

To be deverted from Bermuda from NY/NJ is to go north. If I am not mistaken, Explorer is 5 days?

A few year back when a hurricane hit Bermuda all ships from NY/NJ went north. Folks flying in for the first sailing that did this did not ever know until they got to port. Bermuda was closed to ships for a few weeks. They all went to Canada, etc.

Wasn't it only one sailing that got diverted?

How they handle hurricanes or other weather-related situations will vary according to the particular circumstances surrounding the storm (location, anticipated path, storm strength,timing) and you can't make any universal statements that will apply to all situations. They definitely will not place the ship, passengers and crew in harm's way, but hurricanes extend far beyond the storm's eye so you may well feel its effects even if you stay a good distance away. They may alter their itinerary from Bermuda to Eastern Canada, but even that is fraught with danger if the storm path follows the ship up into the north Atlantic and strikes New Brunswick or Nova Scotia.

About all you can do is hope for the best and prepare for the worst. :)

Royal Caribbean has altered the itineraries of both Oasis of the Seas and Enchantment of the Seas. Enchantment, which left Baltimore on Thursday, will call on San Juan tomorrow. On Monday, it will visit Samana, Dominican Republic instead of St. Thomas, as originally scheduled. It will stop in Labadee on Tuesday and spend Wednesday, Thursday and Friday at sea as it returns to Baltimore on Saturday.

Oasis will be unable to make its scheduled port calls in St. Thomas on Tuesday and St. Maarten on Wednesday. Instead, the ship will make an extended visit to Nassau on Sunday, spend Monday and Tuesday at sea, and call on Costa Maya on Wednesday and Cozumel on Thursday. It will then spend Friday at sea as it returns to Fort Lauderdale on Saturday, as scheduled.

Just read this on another thread.

I'd say Explorer could be an interesting one to switch around with Earl and likely Fiona not too far behind...ultimately spacing of those as well as likely impact points of each would cause RCCL to move Explorer out of danger etc... Aside from different ports, I would pack a couple extra pairs of clothes since depending on timing etc...of both storms it's entirely possible the ship could get an extra day added to the cruise....I guess it could get cut short as well.

Hurricanes are one good reason RCCL likes ships in the Med during the peak of hurricane season... not that weather there is always perfect. Hurricanes that cause delayed embarkation/disembarkations can get kind of costly for RCCL....or any other line for that matter.

Archived