Star AB suite, enough privacy for 3?

jagergirl55

Hey everybody. I'm in the process of booking our next cruise on the Star, and I need some advice. Generally we get an AE/AD aft suite just for the 2 of us, and our friends who come with us get what ever room they want (inside, balcony, etc.)

Well we are going, and a very good friend of ours is coming along too. Last year we booked our suite, and he booked an inside cabin on the same floor by himself. He ended up spending the majority of the time in our cabin or on our balcony and only slept in his cabin.

So we're thinking that this time around maybe we should get the "2 bedroom" AB suite, and that way he can save money on not paying the double occupancy on an inside room, and he can have the suite perks with us, and get to eat at Cagney's etc.

So my question is, is the AB suite big enough, and are the bedrooms private at all? I've checked out pictures of them online, but I just can't trust the pictures! It looks like it would be ok, and that he would still have a tiny little "inside" type room with a little bathroom all to himself.

Ok, so hopefully this isn't too confusing, but I'm just trying to figure out if it would work for 3 adults (btw we're not really worried about THAT much privacy, just that we can all have our space to do our own thing and get away from eachother if we want!)

Thanks in advance!

OH another quick question, what's the best AB on the Star? Also, if our other friends get a mini suite that's next to our AB can we open the balconies between the 2 rooms?

Hey everybody. I'm in the process of booking our next cruise on the Star, and I need some advice. Generally we get an AE/AD aft suite just for the 2 of us, and our friends who come with us get what ever room they want (inside, balcony, etc.)

Well we are going, and a very good friend of ours is coming along too. Last year we booked out suite, and he booked an inside cabin on the same floor by himself and he ended up spending the majority of the time in our cabin or on our balcony and only slept in his cabin.

So we're thinking that this time around maybe we should get the "2 bedroom" AB suite, and that way he can save money on not paying the double occupancy on an inside room, and he can have the suite perks with us, and get to eat at Cagney's etc.

So my question is, is the AB suite big enough, and are the bedrooms private at all? I've checked out pictures of them online, but I just can't trust the pictures! It looks like it would be ok, and that he would still have a tiny little "inside" type room with a little bathroom all to himself.

Ok, so hopefully this isn't too confusing, but I'm just trying to figure out if it would work for 3 adults (btw we're not really worried about THAT much privacy, just that we can all have our space to do our own thing and get away from eachother if we want!)

Thanks in advance!

OH another quick question, what's the best AB on the Star? Also, if our other friends get a mini suite that's next to our AB can we open the balconies between the 2 rooms?

It should be fine for you. We had a friend that went with us in January on our 14 day Panama Canal cruise on the Star. We had AB 11030. There is a small "inside" type room separate from the other area. It has it's own bath and closet. The bed is very small though. When the bed is made up it goes from wall to wall. Our friend had the steward just leave the bed made up all the time. He did have a egg crate put on the bed and said it wasn't bad. The door to the small bedroom opens into a small foyer, then there is another door that opens into the living area. The master bedroom and bath has a double sliding door that separates it from the living area.

I think the small room would be fine for a single person. I don't think it's large enough for a couple though.

It should be fine for you. We had a friend that went with us in January on our 14 day Panama Canal cruise on the Star. We had AB 11030. There is a small "inside" type room separate from the other area. It has it's own bath and closet. The bed is very small though. When the bed is made up it goes from wall to wall. Our friend had the steward just leave the bed made up all the time. He did have a egg crate put on the bed and said it wasn't bad. The door to the small bedroom opens into a small foyer, then there is another door that opens into the living area. The master bedroom and bath has a double sliding door that separates it from the living area.

I think the small room would be fine for a single person. I don't think it's large enough for a couple though.

Thank you so much! Sounds like it would be perfect for us. He's pretty easy to please, so he'd be fine in a little closet room with a bed! I think it's a much better idea for us than to have him pay a lot more money, for just an inside room.

Thanks for your response. I really appreciate it!

I think you will have plenty of privacy. We did this on the Jewel and I think it is a similar configuration--the door of the small bedroom opening to the entry foyer--and there is an additional door there. So there are actually two doors separating you if you choose to close both of them.

The best thing is that this takes away all the controversy regarding whether or not your friend can share in the suite perks. The friend will be able to do absolutely everything with you--without any of the suite police complaining. That is why we booked this as you are doing--hahaha--and we had three college age kids in that tiny bedroom!! And we thought it was aboslutely fine. So although small--it will be perfect--especially if your friend is not that demanding. We also got an egg crate--somone mentioned that--and it really helps as the mattress was quite hard. The AB suite is the best kept almost secret. By the way--the bathroom is I think the same size as a bathroom in an inside room--at least it seemed to me to be so. Incidentally--when we added the third person rate to our suite--it was only like $189 more--wheeras the inside room was going to be much more than that. It actually SAVED a lot of money--and the third person gets all those suite perks on top of the savings. It's a win-win.

Have a great time,

yoyocruiser

Here's a link with some really good pics of an AB on the Star. http://community.webshots.com/slideshow/570930974euSdMl?mediaPosition=2

I just got home and looked at your pictures. Thank you so much, gives me a better idea of how the suite is set up. Did you think the balcony was an ok size?

On another note, how funny your title for the pictures were 8th anniversary cruise, and we'll be celebrating our 8 year anniversary in Feb, on our cruise to the Mexican Riviera. lol.

I think you will have plenty of privacy. We did this on the Jewel and I think it is a similar configuration--the door of the small bedroom opening to the entry foyer--and there is an additional door there. So there are actually two doors separating you if you choose to close both of them.

The best thing is that this takes away all the controversy regarding whether or not your friend can share in the suite perks. The friend will be able to do absolutely everything with you--without any of the suite police complaining. That is why we booked this as you are doing--hahaha--and we had three college age kids in that tiny bedroom!! And we thought it was aboslutely fine. So although small--it will be perfect--especially if your friend is not that demanding. We also got an egg crate--somone mentioned that--and it really helps as the mattress was quite hard. The AB suite is the best kept almost secret. By the way--the bathroom is I think the same size as a bathroom in an inside room--at least it seemed to me to be so. Incidentally--when we added the third person rate to our suite--it was only like $189 more--wheeras the inside room was going to be much more than that. It actually SAVED a lot of money--and the third person gets all those suite perks on top of the savings. It's a win-win.

Have a great time,

yoyocruiser

Exactly what I was thinking! Great minds think alike! lol :D:D

Hi Carrie,

I'll send you photos of an AB on the Star. Can't answer your question about connecting the balconies - hopefully someone else will chime in.

BTW, the closet space in the AB is limited. We had a huge closet in the AC so it was surprising to see so little space in the AB. We used the 2nd closet in the AB for our luggage and the drawers for some of our clothes. The 2nd bath was just a little smaller than what we just had in our balcony room.

I just got home and looked at your pictures. Thank you so much, gives me a better idea of how the suite is set up. Did you think the balcony was an ok size?

On another note, how funny your title for the pictures were 8th anniversary cruise, and we'll be celebrating our 8 year anniversary in Feb, on our cruise to the Mexican Riviera. lol.

For the size of the suite, I thought the balcony was a little small. We did have 2 lounge chairs and a small table, but unless you turn the chairs sideways or leave the sliding door open you can't put the chairs down flat. :( When all 3 of us wanted to be on the balcony it was pretty crowded. One other word of warning. There is a window between the tub and the balcony. So be sure to pull the blind or whoever walks onto the balcony will get a show. :eek:;) And there is a full length window in the shower of the master bath. Be sure to watch out for the window washers. They scared me to death in January. :D Thank heaven I pulled the blinds. More for the window washer's benefit than mine.:p:eek:

For the size of the suite, I thought the balcony was a little small. We did have 2 lounge chairs and a small table, but unless you turn the chairs sideways or leave the sliding door open you can't put the chairs down flat. :( When all 3 of us wanted to be on the balcony it was pretty crowded. One other word of warning. There is a window between the tub and the balcony. So be sure to pull the blind or whoever walks onto the balcony will get a show. :eek:;) And there is a full length window in the shower of the master bath. Be sure to watch out for the window washers. They scared me to death in January. :D Thank heaven I pulled the blinds. More for the window washer's benefit than mine.:p:eek:

Yikes... I really like having a larger balcony because I love to layout and sun bathe in the privacy of my own balcony, that's why I love the aft suites so much. That might be a deal breaker...

Thank you so much for the heads up about the windows in the bathroom! haha. Knowing me I would have thought they were tinted or something and given everyone a show! lol.

I really appreciate all the info! You are great!

I think this is one of the best suites that NCL offers. You have that nice sitting and eating area open for everyone. The little inside rooms works great for one person, two in a stretch. The master bedroom has total privacy and is separate from the sitting area, unlike the aft suites. And the bath for the master is wonderful.

For your situation it is the perfect solution. You all now get the VIP perks, you have a nice area to spend time in. If any one of the parties wants to use the bath or even lay down, you have total privacy. Not available in the aft suites.

I think this is one of the best suites that NCL offers. You have that nice sitting and eating area open for everyone. The little inside rooms works great for one person, two in a stretch. The master bedroom has total privacy and is separate from the sitting area, unlike the aft suites. And the bath for the master is wonderful.

For your situation it is the perfect solution. You all now get the VIP perks, you have a nice area to spend time in. If any one of the parties wants to use the bath or even lay down, you have total privacy. Not available in the aft suites.

I think your right! After hearing all the perks, I may just have to live with the small balcony... luckily there is a lot of decks to lay out on!

Thank you so much everybody, I really, really appreciate it! I'll let you all know how it goes, and I'll take tons of pics!

Archived