Getting in Shape for Cruise...what's your plan?

5326jan

I'm 59, 5'4" and my weight is 120. It used to be much less. If I was given an ultimatum about my weight, whoever gave it would be sleeping with one eye open. My (then) husband, used to playfully say I was getting "fluffy" when I would gain a pound (from 107 to 108) GRRRRRRRRR...This was one of the criteria that led to his status now as "single".......I hate exercise too, and now have some heart problems. My plan is to save enough money to hire a driver. I walk and that's about all I can handle and I'll do it at the "site" but I won't be walking to whatever I want to see. I'll be in a car, taxi, or some form of transportation. it's great if you can exercise more, but it just takes something out of me to feel that I HAVE to do the "no pain, no gain" thing.

I usually get really motivated to lose about 5-7 lbs before my cruise and I usually go to the gym a couple times a week but since my last cruise in Feb 2010 I injured my back coming home from the cruise (at least it was after the cruise) and so I haven't made it to the gym or had the motivation, until now. I signed up to do a half marathon in Dec, a couple weeks before my next cruise!

Nothing motivates me more than knowing I've got a vacation planned:D

I go to WW and have lost 23 so far and hope to lose 15-20 before our next cruise in January. It really works if you do it right. Drink water and track. I have a pedometer and am suprised some days how much I walk.

CTP, that's awesome! How long have you been on WW?

As if today, 19 pounds since March. Watching my carbs and power walking. I use the treadmill at the gym so I can be walking uphill a good part of the time. About 50 minutes 3-4 times a week. Trying to lose 6 more by the end of the month. :D

As if today, 19 pounds since March. Watching my carbs and power walking. I use the treadmill at the gym so I can be walking uphill a good part of the time. About 50 minutes 3-4 times a week. Trying to lose 6 more by the end of the month. :D

Hey, My name is Janet Z too! Congrats on the weight loss!

Hi All, we're cruising in Europe next year and I know for sure that we'll be visiting several sites that require climbing a lot of stairs. The Monestaries in Meteora, Greece for instance! I know that I need to get into shape in order to get to the top ...with some dignity left. :rolleyes:

The problem is that I HATE exercise!!! I'd rather lick the floor than get on a stairmaster! :( I plan to start walking as soon as it cools off enough. Anyone have a workout routine that is fun? I think I can go to the mall and walk on bad days in the winter and climb the stairs there without drawing too much attention to myself. I'm 57 and slightly overweight. I've already joined ww to take care of the extra weight. HELP!!

Former Personal trainer here...

A while back I started a thread ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=597343&highlight=

...designed to help people get into shape for cruising and life, using just the stuff we've got at home.

Good luck!

Mike

If you have an ipod touch and or iphone there is a free app called lose it that you can use to keep track of your food & wieght. It works kinda like wieght watchers, its pretty neat you can pretty much eat anything just smaller porportions.

Elequieu ... If you really want to have fun and look silly (if you are like me) at the same time try Zumba. I am a 61 year old female with absolutely no rhythm and we do Zumba after work 3 times a week. Within 10 minutes we are all sweating but we get a great workout. We have anywhere from 3 to 6 ladies at the office that stays after work to Zum Zum Zum, no men are allowed. I only started because I have osteoporosis, high cholesterol and am just starting to get arthritis in my knees but I refuse to let all these set backs stop me from enjoying life and cruising. And now that I stared the Zumba routine I find that I am losing inches around my waist and hip areas.

Go to you library and borrow the tapes first to try them out. I promise you, you will have fun.

I started walking four miles every morning for about a year but it was boring so I started on a bike - not a stationary bike but a real bicycle. I ride every morning between 15 and 18 miles and take a different route every morning. My wife still walks - doesn't like the bike. She walks three miles every morning and goes to the gym three times a week. I am 71 and my wife is 72. Get a bike. You would be surprised what you'll see!

I'm a ww member also.

I hate exercise. Exercise is painful for my fibro.

I do love to walk. So I've been walking the puppy several times a day and going for one long walk myself 4 or 5 times a week. My puppy can't make it 3-4 miles.

If the weather is bad, I do a walking dvd. I have Leslie Sansone, and like them ok.

My husband and I love to go dancing, so we do that several times a month.

Sometimes I spend 10 minutes walking up and down my steps. We are planning to only take the steps on our cruise, so I better up this huh?

I'm a ww member also.

I hate exercise. Exercise is painful for my fibro.

I do love to walk. So I've been walking the puppy several times a day and going for one long walk myself 4 or 5 times a week. My puppy can't make it 3-4 miles.

If the weather is bad, I do a walking dvd. I have Leslie Sansone, and like them ok.

My husband and I love to go dancing, so we do that several times a month.

Sometimes I spend 10 minutes walking up and down my steps. We are planning to only take the steps on our cruise, so I better up this huh?

My daughter is 22. She has Fibro and exercise is what the doctor tells her she needs to do. You sound like your doing enough. Dancing is a great thing! :) Wish my DH liked to dance.

I'm 59, 5'4" and my weight is 120. It used to be much less. If I was given an ultimatum about my weight, whoever gave it would be sleeping with one eye open. My (then) husband, used to playfully say I was getting "fluffy" when I would gain a pound (from 107 to 108) GRRRRRRRRR...This was one of the criteria that led to his status now as "single".......I hate exercise too, and now have some heart problems. My plan is to save enough money to hire a driver. I walk and that's about all I can handle and I'll do it at the "site" but I won't be walking to whatever I want to see. I'll be in a car, taxi, or some form of transportation. it's great if you can exercise more, but it just takes something out of me to feel that I HAVE to do the "no pain, no gain" thing.

Holy crap, I'm 5'4" and thought I was small framed, but 107 or 108? Seems way too low! Glad you ditched the idiot withthe fluffy comments. Any chance he's got a big ole gut about now?

hope your heart condition improves thru whatever means work for you.

Archived