Ship Time vs Port Time

DWIN1050

Does anyone know whether the Sun changes it's clocks based on what time it is in port? Trying to figure out times for excursions not through the cruise line. I know on Celebrity the ship time and port time differed in two locations.

Thanks.

You can never be sure.

I have been on cruises where the ship's time and local time are the same and on others where the ship's time was different by an hour from the local time.

Be sure of the ship's time when you get off in a local port.

The more countries involved in an itinerary the more possible time changes there are despite not crossing time zone lines. Not every country use daylight savings time which can complicate matters considerably with local time. And even those who do use daylight savings time don't necessarily change their time at the same time or on the same day...

Be aware of ship's time all of the time...

Generally they change to match the port, as the ship could care less what time they are on. But, this is not 100% of course.

I would take the assumption you are on port time, and notify folks accordingly. In most of these ports, the locals know when you will arrive as they go through this weekly, sometimes daily.

P.S. - you did not mention the ports you are concerned about - which would help.

What about Belize?

It is my understanding that Mexico is on DST but other countries such as Belize and Honduran Islands like Roatan are not.

So, in my research for our May 2011 Spirit Western Caribbean trip, we are leaving from Central time zone, traveling only to ports in Central time zone, but Nola and the Mexican ports (in our case Costa Maya and Cozumel) will be on CDT while the other ports mentioned above will not.

Spirit will be 1 hour ahead of Belize and Roatan but in sync with the Mexican ports given in my example...I'm not sure if the Spirit will actually adjust their clocks to match the non Daylight Savings ports, or if I will just have to remember if it's 3 p.m. in Belize I'd better hurry up and suck up that last Panty Rippa and munch down those conch fritters quick so I don't miss the last tender (I'm thinking 3:30 p.m. CST/Belize time) and 4:30 p.m. CDT/ship time...

Archived