Hurricanes Canada/New England Cruise

pappy3393

Now that Earl is poised to create some havoc on the east coast, I was wondering how often hurricanes or remnants of hurricanes have caused route changes or rough seas on a Canada/New England cruise? Is it more prevalent in September vs October?

Hard to really say as the Atlantic Hurricane season is July to November. With August through October most active. Currently there is a string of storms coming off the northwest cost of Africa.

Hurricane Earl

Tropical Storm Fiona

Tropical Storm Gaston

Un-named Tropical Depression.

Not all Tropical Storms and Depression become Hurricanes.

Will that be same for October ? .... no way of knowing. The only thing for certain is the cruise line will reroute anytime they feel the ship, crew and passengers are in harms way and this even occurs in non-hurricane months.

Here's a good link to check out http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo_atl.shtml

BTW I'm leaving in 16 days for a NewEngland/Canada cruise. Hopefully the worst will be over, if not I still intend to enjoy myself.

Well, as far as living up here goes, we don't often get any real hurricanes come through. Last time we really got hit was by Bob in the early 90's. Most of the time when they get here they are vastly less powerful thanthey were in the tropics. But even though they are usually downgraded by the time they get here, they can still cause heavy seas (which can get heavy by october anyway) so could cause some problems.

I can tell you that the Caribbean Princess' Canada/NE cruise that was scheduled to visit Halifax, NS today, cancelled that port, and is heading into Manhattan instead. On Saturday morning, its usual turnaround day, it will relocate to the Brooklyn cruise terminal. According to Princess this itinerary change was made to get out of Earl's way.

Even though hurricane season officially starts on June 1st and ends on November 30th, the worst months for hurricanes are August and September, and early October. We don't book Caribbean cruises during that time. However, the hurricanes don't usually cause as much havoc in New England/Canada during that time. That's why we took a chance and booked the Queen Mary 2 for September 3rd - 12th. We played the odds and unfortunately, hurricane Earl is moving up the coast to New England and Canada. Fortunately, Cunard decided to leave NYC (Brooklyn) on Saturday morning at 5:00 a.m. instead of on Friday, September 3rd at 5:00 p.m. Timing is everything. We should be following the storm instead of riding through it. We will miss stopping in Newport, RI on Saturday, but the safety of the passengers and the ship is paramount. When you cruise during hurricane season, you have to be flexible as cruise itineraries can be changed.

Archived