Lindblad to Antarctica

My DH and I are booked on the January 6, 2011 sailing to Antarctica with Lindblad. Does anyone have any tips/suggestions to help us have a great trip? Can you give us an idea what a typical day on the Explorer is like?

We traveled with Lindblad to Galapagos and it was without a doubt the best trip we have taken so far. Our expectations for the Antarctica trip are very high.

Thanks,

Linda

Your high expectations will be met and exceeded! It is a travel experience never to be forgotten. We have been there twice - once on the original Explorer with A&K ( now sadly on the bottom of the Antarctic waters) and a second time (including South Georgia) with Lindblad. First, the "crossing", Drakes passage has a well deserved reputation for rough waters - in our 4 crossings, 3 were smooth and 1 wasn't! Just be ready for the worst and it will be OK. Once you get to the penninsula, most areas are sheltered.Second, it is cold - surprise! It takes time to "dress" for landings - long johns, water proof pants and tops,sweat shirt, parka, wool cap, boots (google "NEOS" for a substitute) cameras, binoculars etc. But, once on shore, it is spectacular! The Explorer is luxurious compared to other Lindblad boats (did you do Endeavour or Polaris in the Galapagos?) The landings are handled well, but with 150 pax, there are lines. The daily routine is much like Galapagos - evening recap in lounge, sometimes with lectures - the staff is outstanding.

We envy you - we have talked about heading way south for another Antarctic adventure. But, later this morning, we head to Moscow and will board Explorer in St Petersburg for a month long B2B ending in Lisbon - so, Antarctica will have to wait!

Thanks for the quick reply. Since we live in Western PA we are used to cold weather and don't think that will bother us very much. As luck would have it we already have all the cold weather clothing we'll need. We did buy the Arctic Sport boots and waterproof pants. They will come in handy if we have another winter like last year.

Were there any restrictions on the weight/amount of luggage allowed on the LAN flight or charter from Santiago to Ushuaia?

We were on the Islander in the Galapagos and although spotless it was a little threadbare in spots. But, we didn't go to Galapagos for the ship.

Have a great trip!

We went on the Hanseatic and regardless of which ship you take you will have an amazing time. They provided us with parkas and rubber boots.

Here are the things I was glad to have:

A hat with earflaps for the cold Zodiac rides

Mittens that fold back to expose the fingers, with glove liners underneath. Great for handling cameras without exposing the skin.

Rubber pants that fishermen use - layered with polypropylene longjohns and fleece pants (not sweat pants but fleece)

Really good UV protection sunglasses and sunscreen. The sun on the ice and snow is brilliant.

Ziplock bags - great for the cameras during Zodiac rides, and for stinky things we took home.

Sock liners and really good wool socks

This is not a glamour cruise and I just cared about being warm. We're from New York so we know cold. The weather in Antarctica can change quickly so you go from cold to sweating to cold again very easily. The poly longjohns wick away sweat and keep you from getting cold if you were sweating earlier in the day. The key to being comfortable in the cold is to stay DRY.

We brought our rubber pants home thinking that they would be handy to have around, but after several washings they still stunk like guano so we tossed them. There is no dirt on Antarctica, only rock and snow and ice, so if it looks like mud it's POO. And it is stinky.

The Drake Passage can be very difficult, and even people who never get seasick have problems, so be prepared with meds. However, even the guy on our ship who fell and broke his nose said he wouldn't have missed this trip for the world. You're in for an amazing adventure!

We just booked the Islander to Galapagos. Any tips for us?

Thanks for the tips. I had read somewhere else about the penguin guano and the smell.

We loved the trip on the Islander. The naturalists and crew were fantastic. Here is a link to our pictures:

http://home.comcast.net/~pvwoods/2009/Galapagos/index.html

Some folks had Keen sandals that were great for the wet landings. They didn't have to worry about taking shoes off and on. Otherwise good hiking boots/shoes. Lots of sunscreen on this trip, too.

They provide all the equipment you will need for snorkeling including a wet suit.

There was a lot of gentle rocking motion on the ship but it didn't seem as though anyone had a problem with seasickness.

Linda

I went to the Antarctic several years ago on the Explorer. Typically, we had landings in the mornings, with another landing or zodiac ride or other activity in the afternoon.

I did want to mention that carry on bags for the charter flight from Ushuaia to Santiago are limited to 8 kilos. The limit is enforced sporadically, but I ended up having to gate check my bag and it took three days for it to arrive at my final destination. In Santiago, the carry on bags were hand-checked at the gate, which slowed boarding considerably.

I wished that I had brought a second pair of waterproof pants and another set of long underwear! The pants became rather messy from the guano and salt water.

Don't forget a bathing suit if you wish to try swimming in the Antarctic.

Thanks for sharing your amazing photos. I especially appreciate the ones of the ship since I haven't seen any of the interior anywhere.

I have a Canon digital camera with a good zoom but I assume you were using an SLR with a telephoto to get those great bird closeups. In Antarctica I had the best luck by sitting quietly away from the group and waiting for the animals to come to me. We were told to remain 10 feet away, unless they approached us which was fine. One woman had a chinstrap come up and chew on her coatsleeve. I learned to avoid being on a Zodiac with loud people (you would be amazed at how people behave sometimes).

Just talking about it makes me want to go back so much.

Margaret,

So glad you liked the pictures from our trip to Galapagos. I can only take credit for a few of the photos, my husband took the majority and does have a Nikon SLR. I have a Canon point and shoot that takes great pics but not the depth he has with the Nikon. There was a videographer on the ship and we bought the dvd (about $50) - it is great for reliving the trip.

That is a great tip about the loud talkers, thanks.

Linda

Hi Linda,

It is nice to see someone else going this year on Nat Geo Explorer. I am going on the Nov. 27th trip. You should be getting some paperwork in the next week or so (mine came four months before my departure). That will tell you about the luggage rules for the charter flight. I can't seem to find my info but I think it was - 2 checked bags for a total of 60 lbs and one carry on for 15 lbs.

For an idea about the days activities on the Explorer you can go read, on the Lindblad site, last years "daily expedition reports". I enjoyed reading them all last winter. I just hope I have nice weather like they seemed to have.

Julie

Hi Julie,

Your trip will be here before you know it. We are starting to buy the things we'll need for our trip. The boots were the biggest so far, not just the cost, my DH wears a size 13.:eek:

We haven't gotten anything yet from Lindblad but will be looking for it to come in the mail in the next few weeks. I read a couple of the books from the suggested reading list. Fortunately they were available from the library.

I was following the daily reports since we booked. :)

We'll look forward to hearing all about your trip when you get home.

Linda

My DH and I are booked on the January 6, 2011 sailing to Antarctica with Lindblad. Can you give us an idea what a typical day on the Explorer is like?

I can't speak for the Explorer since we did this trip on Lindblad's Endeavour but I would think the typical days would be similar.

The best description of our days can be found at http://www.cruisecritic.com/virtual/virtual.cfm?ID=29

Ben Lyons, the author, did a far better job describing it than I could.

I also recommend looking at the Daily Expedition Reports on Lindblad's website http://www.expeditions.com/Daily_Expedition_Rep54.asp

We traveled with Lindblad to Galapagos and it was without a doubt the best trip we have taken so far. Our expectations for the Antarctica trip are very high.

We had quite a number of folks on our trip who had done Galapagos with Lindblad & they also spoke very highly of that experience. There was no one on our ship who was disappointed in our Antarctica experience. I would predict your high expectations will be met or exceeded. Lindblad & Antarctica are a great combination.

• 3 months later...

Linda,

We are also on your cruise...my wife is stressing out over boots, carting boots from Chicago to Antarctica and then carrying them on our post Antarctica trip to Patagonia is a problem because of weight. Any suggestions? Also we would like to know what boots you purchased and where? Thanks. Rick

Linda,

We are also on your cruise...my wife is stressing out over boots, carting boots from Chicago to Antarctica and then carrying them on our post Antarctica trip to Patagonia is a problem because of weight. Any suggestions? Also we would like to know what boots you purchased and where? Thanks. Rick

Rick,

We got the Arctic Sport boots recommended on the Lindblad website from Cabella's. They had a good price and free shipping when I ordered them in August. They are a little bulky but not very heavy and pretty comfortable. If we have another winter like the last one they will get a lot of use after this trip.

http://muckbootsdirect.net/outdoor-and-sporting/sport-boots/muck-boots-arctic-sport-extreme-conditions-sport-boot.html

Could you ship the boots home from Argentina or Chile via UPS or FedEx?

Our trip documents came yesterday via UPS.

Linda

Just purchased NEOS Trekkers, they appear to be a good solution light weight, waterproof and warm for getting off of the zodiacs and hiking around on the ice Thank you for the suggestion. Linda, thank you too...we've received our cruise info and we are getting excited.

... The best description of our days can be found at http://www.cruisecritic.com/virtual/virtual.cfm?ID=29

Ben Lyons, the author, did a far better job describing it than I could.

I'm not sure how long ago Ben wrote that review; he has been interested in ships since he was very young. He went on to the US Merchant Marine Academy and is now the Chief Officer on board the NG Explorer!

Aloha,

John

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the tips. I had read somewhere else about the penguin guano and the smell.

We loved the trip on the Islander. The naturalists and crew were fantastic. Here is a link to our pictures:

http://home.comcast.net/~pvwoods/2009/Galapagos/index.html

Some folks had Keen sandals that were great for the wet landings. They didn't have to worry about taking shoes off and on. Otherwise good hiking boots/shoes. Lots of sunscreen on this trip, too.

They provide all the equipment you will need for snorkeling including a wet suit.

There was a lot of gentle rocking motion on the ship but it didn't seem as though anyone had a problem with seasickness.

Linda

Thanks for posting the pictures. You got some great shots! I've been looking at the Galapagos brochures for over a year now and would really like to book a trip.

Archived