Stingray City

october37

All I want to do on our stop in Grand Cayman is swim with these stingrays. Can anyone comment on either booking thru the cruise line or finding an independent tour operator? Just want to make this a good experience from start to finish.

Thanks,

Michelle & Jeff

All I want to do on our stop in Grand Cayman is swim with these stingrays. Can anyone comment on either booking thru the cruise line or finding an independent tour operator? Just want to make this a good experience from start to finish.

Thanks,

Michelle & Jeff

There's a lot of posts all throughout this forum about private tour companies that go to the stingray sandbar. Just spend a bit of time looking on this page and the previous several and you will find alot of info.

I would definately book with a private company rather than a ship tour. It will be cheaper and the boat will be smaller with fewer people. Also most of them include one or two snorkel stops. Even if you don't want to snorkel, the time out on the boat on the water is enjoyable.

We have read great things about many different tour companies on here. We chose stingraysailing...they have a catamaran that holds 28 ppl max and they stop at stingray city and another shorkel spot. We will be going next month.

used Capt Marvins to take us to Sandbar to snorkel with stingrays. Stingray city is a different spot. Stingray city is 15' deep and great for scuba. Sandbar is where most tourists go (and think they are going to stingray city) to stand in waist high water with the southern rays. Very cool experience indeed!

Capt Marvins price was very fair and their quality of service was great. I cant post their website here but do a search on the net.

we did stingray city thru RCI.

It is definitely worth it.

We made the mistake of booking the beach lunch with it. Now mind you the beach and lunch was great but........getting off the ship waiting for a bus, then getting to stingray pier area....waiting to get on boat........the excursion was worth every moment......then getting back to shore......waiting for a bus......going to beach luncheon which was good, swimming.......then waiting for a bus to go back to ship.

Just do stingray, go back to pier or ship.

safe travels.

We did Captain Marvin's, and they were fantastic. Also, we purchased the photos that their professional photographer takes while you are in the water with the stingrays. So glad we did because our disposable underwater camera did not produce any photos at all.

We were on the Legend and used Moby Dick Tours. We were on the late tour. Most of the other tours had left and we were ounumbered by the stingrays. We had a great experience. There are 4 guides that go out with all the guests and help you hold and feed the stingrays. They do not have a photographer, but make sure you have great interaction with them. A word of caution for Legend cruisers: We barely made it back to tender on time and got on the very last tender. They told us if we got there any sooner we would just spend more time in line and less with the stingrays. They do this every week and know the schedule well. I would still book with them, but would feel better if I was on a ship that left a little later.

We also used Nativeways and loved the small group here are a few photos. The boats loaded to the brim with people I think must be the cruise line sponsored excursions. Our trip with Nativeways had maybe 12 people with 2 guides. Our boat is in the background.

On the Natvieways tour Did you do the island tour also (Hell and turtle farm)? Were you able to snorkel and see anything? Did they take food for the stingrays?

How long were you at each place?

On the Natvieways tour Did you do the island tour also (Hell and turtle farm)? Were you able to snorkel and see anything? Did they take food for the stingrays?

How long were you at each place?

This is how the day played out wait to tender off the ship, once in port meet Nativeway guide wait for others booked for this tour, load into a bus for a short ride to the dock where the boat is, boat ride to Stingrays on the most amazing blue water I've every seen, arrive at stingrays boat captain has food for stingrays, stay there maybe 30-45 minutes, move the boat a very short distance snorkel 30 minutes really good snorkeling lots of fish, boat ride to Rum Point for a lunch that is included with your tour. Order a few drinks (not included) swim for a very short time. Back in the boat, back to the dock, off boat into bus to port. Run into Margaritaville buy a quick souvenir, get in a crazy long line to catch one of the last tenders back to the ship. We were in port 7 AM - 4 PM. The time flies by especially since you need to tender in and out.

Loved, loved this tour just wished we could have stayed longer everywhere we went.

• 2 weeks later...

We booked the excursion through Carnival. We tendered in from the ship, hopped on another boat that took us out to the sandbar. It is definitely something I would highly recommend! There were a lot of people on the excursion but we had plenty of time with the stingrays. One piece of advice: when the first stingray comes up and brushes up against you, try not to scream. There were so many people screaming in the first few minutes that it made my ears hurt!

Archived