Saint John, New Brunswick

rdavie

My wife and I will be visiting Saint John on Oct. 6th from the Caribbean Princess from 8000 to 1700. We are hikers, how far is it to Lapreau Falls and Dipper Harbor. Would Peggy's Cove be doable in the time we have. How about other places to hike from where the ship docks? I believe it will be docking at the Marco Polo Cruise terminal.

My wife and I will be visiting Saint John on Oct. 6th from the Caribbean Princess from 8000 to 1700. We are hikers, how far is it to Lapreau Falls and Dipper Harbor. Would Peggy's Cove be doable in the time we have. How about other places to hike from where the ship docks? I believe it will be docking at the Marco Polo Cruise terminal.

Peggy's Cove is a Halifax excursion. Lepreau and Dipper Harbour are 25 minutes by car from ship. I recommend hiking in Irving Nature Park - a 10 to 12 minute taxi ride. You can hike along the coastline perimeter trail - it is 4.5 miles long.

http://www.jdirving.com/environment.aspx?id=314&ekmensel=8_submenu_106_btnlink

Peggy's Cove is a Halifax excursion. Lepreau and Dipper Harbour are 25 minutes by car from ship. I recommend hiking in Irving Nature Park - a 10 to 12 minute taxi ride. You can hike along the coastline perimeter trail - it is 4.5 miles long.

http://www.jdirving.com/environment.aspx?id=314&ekmensel=8_submenu_106_btnlink

I am a little confused is the coastline perimeter trail within easy walking distance from the cruise ships? I read about a walkway , but that it was closed in parts due to contruction - is that over? Is this different too from Irving Nature Park?

Thank you.

I am a little confused is the coastline perimeter trail within easy walking distance from the cruise ships? I read about a walkway , but that it was closed in parts due to contruction - is that over? Is this different too from Irving Nature Park?

Thank you.

You are thinking of Harbour Passage Walking Trail - which is closed in a major section. The Irving Nature Park is a taxi ride away and is "coastal" as opposed to "harbour".

We will be on this cruise as well and are looking for hikes. Have you decided what you'll be doing in Bar Harbor? We would like to do some hiking in Arcadia but haven't narrowed it down yet.

We are considering going to the Irving Nature Park for the coastal hike. I emailed their office for more information but was referred back to their website that was less than helpful.

Would also like to do a hike at Acadia Nat. Park. We're also interested in going to the Irving Nature Park. I will also look for information about hiking there. Hiking along the coast, hopefully, could be spectacular. Maybe if it works out we could share a cab to the trail head.

We have previously visited many of the stops on this upcoming cruise. The only one new to us is St. John. Acadia was years ago when our daughters were little. Our youngest daughter is currently going to school in Boston so have visited there a few times.

We have cruised about ten times and have gotten away from ship sponsored tours and like to do things on our own or with people we meet on the ship. Bob J.

Yes, sharing a cab might work. We usually do things on the cheap and will be looking for free trans when we can but I don't remember that I found anything to Irvine.

You may want to consider joining the roll call for our cruise. One of the posters just posted the list of who will be involved.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1144753

Rocky & Della

When in Saint John in August, we rented a car from Enterprise and drove to St. Martins. It turned out to be a great day, with gorgeous weather, and for four of us it cost $70 with fuel. There is a new scenic drive along the fundy coast just past St. Martins which looked very interesting as well.

Archived