western Caribbean cruisers--passport question

A friend and I will be traveling on the Mariner to Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Mexico.I went to my safety deposit box at the bank to retreive my passport only to discover that it had expired quite awhile back. My question---do I really need a passport for this trip? Right now I am thinking that it is just one more thing to add to my "to do" list!

At this time, you do not need a passport to visit those ports while on a cruiseship. A birth certificate with a raised seal and photo ID is sufficient. However, the opinion that has been frequently expressed on CC is that the time is coming when you will need a passport for any travel outside the US. Please consider getting your passport renewed in the near future.

[img]http://www.bensleyraceteam.com/Ani_Gif_Images/bookworm2.gif[/img]

Navigator OTS 10/04
Legend 04/04
Grand Princess 09/03
Dawn Princess 01/03
Enchantment OTS 10/02
Destiny 01/02
Sensation 08/99

you don't need it but it sure makes checking in a LOT easier. If it were me I'd add it to my to do list.

Diane
Explorer of the Sea 12/5/04
Legend of the Sea 9/12/04
Voyager of the Sea 8/24/03
Sovereign of the Sea 07/01

Judith - You didn't indicate how soon you were leaving. But, if <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>A) Your passport has not been damaged.<LI>B) Was originally issued less than 15 years ago,<LI>C) Was originally issued after your 16 birthday.<LI>D) You have not changed your name.[/list], you can apply by mail.

Go to [url="http://travel.state.gov/passport_renewal.html"]Passport Renewal[/url]I agree that a passport is the way to go. The renewal is $55 for 10 years. That's about a penny and a half per day.

Judith, we just returned last night from the Western Caribbean Mariner cruise. My passport stayed in the safe the entire cruise - you do not need it once on board. The other posters are correct; it makes check in easier. However, I went on a cruise last summer and used my expired passport (18 months or so)and it worked just fine. I got it renewed this year because of some business travel, but I found no difference between expired vs. current passport as far as the cruise line is concerned.

Just back from this intinerary - didn't need a passport in any of those places. If you check in with one (at the terminal), you need it on the way out (at the terminal to go through customs and immigration), but my dh used a birth certificate and did just fine.

Cruise addict in the making

MOS June 6, 2004

Archived