Dominica has been removed from Carnival Victory stops..

CALIBLUGIRL03

Caribbean Princess is my only option now that Carnival has pulled Dominica. I am not sure if I will switch as I am still reseraching the other ports and comparing them with Carnival ports. One thing is for sure, whichever ship I take (and I have little choice since non-refundable tickets to San Juan lock me in), I will NEVER SAIL WITH CARNIVAL AGAIN!

FYI princess is owned by Carnival.

High port fees and fuel costs are the reasons that Carnival is giving for not stopping in Dominica, begining Nov 2010, after 21 years as a port of call.

Many believe Carnival is no longer going to the island because of competition for shore excursions from local tour guides. Carnival charges WAY too much for their shore excursions, and the locals are beating them at their own game.

This is a heavy handed move by a major corporation trying to force the local government to do things in Carnival's favor. The other cruise lines Carnival owns are continuing to stop at Dominca, so it is not a concern for safety or cost. Carnival sucks for doing this the same way that the East India Company sucked back in the 1700's when they ran the Caribbean their way for profit.

If you believe this write and complain to Carnival!

I wrote to Carnival back when I first heard about the change. And while I really didn't expect anything to come out of it, I thought I would feel better knowing that they would at least know how disappointed I was. However, the generic customer service reply I got back emphasizing how it was a minor change and informing me that I could cancel and rebook just further aggravated me.

Wow, what a bummer! Fortunately for me, I will be on the last Carnival stop there cruising from San Juan 10/24 on Victory. It is so ironic that Carnival is changing so much. First, their 1A's and now this. What's next? This is my first Carnival cruise and probably my last if that is how they treat their customers. I can see how it could be the private excursions because Levi Baron and Bumping Tours can outdo them hands down!!

I'm in the process of booking a Princess cruise that's supposed to stop in Dominica in April. It is a ten day cruise and if they cancel a port, it may be a deal breaker for me. I prefer port days to sea days. I was really looking forward to going there.

Please tell me Princess won't cancel too:(. I have till Wednesday to cancel my hold.

Celebrity has an 11 night cruise of of San Juan on the Millennium, I am on it in Novemeber/December, we are calling at Dominica. If everyone here is so worried about not calling there and the impact on the local economy, then show support for the people on the island and give your money to an Non-Carnival affiliated cruise line. The only thing that they, Carnival, understand is money. Once you have made your switch, send a copy of your new reservation, with a letter explaining why you have booked with another cruise line, to the President of Carnival. and send a copy to the Tourist Board of Dominica to show them that they have the support of the outside world. If enough folks do that, Carnival WILL get the message

YOU CAN GET A FULL REFUND! We had booked a January Cruise on Carnival Victory with early saver discount. When I found out they cancelled our favorite port of call Dominica. I called and ask for a FULL REFUND. They gave me a full refund and didn't keep my $250 deposit toward a future cruise. If your disappointed cancel your cruise and get the message to Carnival - passengers want to stop in Dominica!

:confused:I agree with you. One of the only reasons I booked this cruise was because of no sea days. Now that's out the window, and I feel like they are not accommodating me at all.

Carnival is my favorite, but I am not happy with this decision.

and it sucks!!! I don't like being on ships for that long which is why I wanted a port a day. Now Carnival is gonna make loads of money for all the people who drink all day and are stuck on-board. Getting a refund on the port/gov fees does not make me feel any better about missing the port I have looked do forward to going to. :o:o:(:(

So far Carnival has not impressed me in any way. The least they could do is offer another island...I feel short sticked!!

I'm really trying to get over it. I keep telling myself that it's not that big of a deal. But, I keep going back to the hard stand that Carnival is taking.

I saw this news on the Carnival forum and posted a reply there, then came here to see if people were talking about it here. I’m glad to see I’m not the only one disappointed with this news.

We cruised the Victory in Jan. Carnival changed our itinerary for that cruise too. We were supposed to stop in Antigua and instead stopped in St. Maarten. At least they didn’t drop a port. So that’s two major itinerary changes in one year! (IMHO they should’ve dropped St. Lucia)

I don’t think dropping it has anything to do with people complaining of too many ports. If you don’t like that, don’t book it, or stay on the ship for a port of your choice. That reasoning is just ridiculous to me. So is so-called the fuel savings, as they cruise right by. I think they just want more of our money on a sea day.

We loved Dominica. It was one of our favorite ports. We did a private tour with Bumpiing. I think Carnival can’t compete whatsoever with excursions, since there are so many great tour ops there with decent prices.

I read a LOT of reviews of the Victory before and after our cruise. The people who loved that cruise did so BECAUSE of the port a day itinerary and no sea days. The ship itself is nothing to write home about. It was ok, but not a cruise people take for that ship. It was all about the itinerary for most of us.

We were considering doing another Victory cruise one day. Not likely now. At this rate there won’t be any ports left. We’ll definitely be looking at other cruise lines offering Southern Caribbean cruises now. The others have a sea too, so we might as well go on a different ship with new (better) ports... like including Dominica and not including St. Lucia... and maybe the ABC islands this time... Bye bye Carnival! This is the last straw for us.

• 2 weeks later...

They should've gotten rid of St. Kitts. My friend and I were looking for excursions this past weekend when she was visiting (we don't do cruiseline excursions) and there's not much to do in St. Kitts. There's plenty of stuff we were planning on doing with a private tour on Dominica, including the natural hot springs and great scenery and waterfalls!

I'm really perturbed about this. We did this cruise in May and LOVED Dominica. I was going to book this cruise again for April but without Dominca I don't think so. Now as for the violence, several years ago a friend of mine spent 2 years running a factory in Dominica and he would not let his family visit due to the violence. Personally I have felt more uncomfortable on my visits to St. Thomas than I did in Dominica.

• 3 weeks later...

Very sad :mad: Dominica was our favorite stop during a 10 day southern cruise with Princess. We were thinking of doing the 7 day southern cruise with Carnival just to go back to Dominica. They could have dropped any island but Doninica and I would have been okay with still going. But not now.

I agree Carnival needed to be sent a message, i cancelled my reservation too and received a full refund. Carnival's customer service is terrible. I just feel if you are no longer going to the port whey should i still pay for it, give me my port charges back. Its feels like the old bait and switch....:mad:

But a happier note, i book the Celebrity Summit and so far i am loving it. Last week i got upgraded to a veranda room.:D

YOU CAN GET A FULL REFUND! We had booked a January Cruise on Carnival Victory with early saver discount. When I found out they cancelled our favorite port of call Dominica. I called and ask for a FULL REFUND. They gave me a full refund and didn't keep my $250 deposit toward a future cruise. If your disappointed cancel your cruise and get the message to Carnival - passengers want to stop in Dominica!

• 1 month later...

Archived