No more Progreso/Merida for me

scperk

I was greatly dissappointed with this stop as I had not been there before...Got ripped off by getting bus ticket at port and almost did not get off the bus in Merida...Walked around the square and shops and was constantly asked to buy something or harassed by beggers..Progreso was not much better when we got back there, constantly asked to buy something, finally went back to port and did what shopping that we wanted to do..will not book another cruise thru there or just stay on the ship......Dennis

I was greatly dissappointed with this stop as I had not been there before...Got ripped off by getting bus ticket at port and almost did not get off the bus in Merida...Walked around the square and shops and was constantly asked to buy something or harassed by beggers..Progreso was not much better when we got back there, constantly asked to buy something, finally went back to port and did what shopping that we wanted to do..will not book another cruise thru there or just stay on the ship......Dennis

Sorry the hear this. I have that port on my itenarary in October.

Melody. Keep reading this board and checkout http://www.yucatantoday.com for the many options available at this port. The vast majority of people's experience has been much more positive. We all are impressed by different things. After two portcalls spent in Merida, I've now been back for three two week vacations traveling the Yucatan state using Merida as my base. And last Monday another portcall spent in Merida. The street vendors are only trying to provide for their families in a troubled economy. Faced with thier prospects, I would probably do the same. I was somewhat disappointed in the tourist influenced changes in Progreso. Not greatly but somewhat. I prefer authenticiy in foreign ports. I've found that a polite "gracias, no" is sufficient to the vendors going their way.

If you decide to visit Merida, the bus ticket at the terminal, the round-trip price is $3.00 round trip. The busses are modern and fully airconditioned. Run about every 15 minutes each way.

I am sorry to hear this. In some ways, Progreso reminds me of Belize in that you have to research a bit more than most ports (thanks CC!) and plan ahead or you may be more likely not to enjoy the port. We just returned from Progreso and had a great day. Here is what we did (from my review):

We booked a private tour. We wanted to try something different but did not want to drive too far out. We hired a driver through Yucatan Transportation but Christine Baker, the lady that owns the wonderful restaurant, Casa De Piedra at Hacienda Xcanatun hotel, booked the driver for us because she said that she gets much better rates. We paid $80 total for my husband and I for a wonderful driver, all day, to take us first to Dzibilchanaltun ruins, then to eat and walk around the beautiful hotel and restaurant, then a quick stop to the Walmart there (interesting to see a Walmart in another country). It takes about 25 minutes to get to the ruins then another 5 to get to the restaurant so it was a perfect combination. The restaurant and hotel is a former sisal plantation (a Hacienda) that was restored by a couple that takes such pride in this beautiful place (her name is Christin Baker, hacienda@xcanatun.com). The food was excellent (restaurant has won many award) and our bill in US dollars was $47! Then they took us on a tour of the grounds (very lush and beautiful). She said that they can't do large group tours (like tours from the ship) but they like to do small groups and couples. They also have a spa there so you can book that in advance with her. We loved this place. The website is http://www.xcanatun.com It was peaceful, had great food and an interesting history. We also loved the ruins and did swim in the cenote, even though I was reluctant. The water looked green because it was the rainy season. It was hot at the ruins so go prepared. The swim felt great. Also, these are great ruins to visit if you don't want to travel too far and walk too much while there.

WE sat at the Farewell Party with a young couple from Mobile and they we harrassed by so many street vendors that they asked a cab driver and went to an all-inclusive for $40 a person...They said it was very nice and they had a good time, but I don't know which one they went too....Dennis

Dennis. I think there are two AIs in the general Progreso area. I've spent a couple of nights at the Reef Yucatan. They have a website. Beautiful facility, just so-so food provided for day trippers But the drinks are excellent. Private beach, gorgeous pools, tennis courts, etc. About 30 miles from Progreso. Tours can be purchased at the pier for $45-50. When we were checking out, 30 German tourists were checking in. Not real sure of the spelling but I think it's located near Telchack (sp).

We just went to Progreso and although it is rustic I thought it was a great stop. We were approached all day long by vendors on the town beach but not once did I feel harassed, in fact I was surprised at how sweet they all were.

We tried to speak Spanish and they tried to speak English and we managed to have fun in the course of the day with them. We bought a few things; in my book anyone who parades up and down a beach in 90+ temp and humidity :eek: all day deserves a sale.

I love Progreso! We are going back for the third time this Saturday. There is plenty to do and the people have always been friendly. We've been to Merida to see the old churches and to the Dzibilchaltun ruins and this time we are looking forward to going to Uxmal. The first time we went to Progreso we enjoyed walking around the market place and then took a taxi ride to Merida. When going to Progreso you should really get out and explore. It really is a wonderful place and I'm looking forward to going back again and again.

I love Progreso! We are going back for the third time this Saturday. There is plenty to do and the people have always been friendly. We've been to Merida to see the old churches and to the Dzibilchaltun ruins and this time we are looking forward to going to Uxmal. The first time we went to Progreso we enjoyed walking around the market place and then took a taxi ride to Merida. When going to Progreso you should really get out and explore. It really is a wonderful place and I'm looking forward to going back again and again.

Thanks so much for all the information I have read here on Progresso. We are looking forward to the port and although none of us want to tour the ruins or Merida we will do some light shopping/sightseeing/beach and eat at the La Benit( mispelled I'm sure) mentioned so often on the forums.

Do try to get away from the beach/tourist zone and into the town and visit the market. The whole deep fried snapper at Saint Bonnet is great.

I thought Saint Bonnet was along the beachfront.. Is it within walking distance from where progresso lets you off or is Merida where I need to go to find this and market..

I thought Saint Bonnet was along the beachfront.. Is it within walking distance from where progresso lets you off or is Merida where I need to go to find this and market..

Le Saint Bonnet is on the beachfront and walkable from where the buses drop you off (at the market). There ae some interesting items at the market.

We did the DZ ruins tour through AutoProgreso in July. It was fabulous.

At the open market where you catch the bus to the ruins, vendors were trying to get us to buy their wares. I didn't find them any more pushy than we've experienced in Jamaica and other locations in the Caribbean. You just politely say thank you but no.

I do have to remember not to show interest unless I'm going to buy. When I showed interest in a pants and shirt set, the lady was really pushy about finding a price for me to purchase. I didn't like it that much.

I hate to hear that your stop was less than idea. In April and friend and I took the bus [/u]up to Merida and spent a few hours around.

Yes we did run into vendors asking us to buy stuff in the main square areas,but as we ventured away from this main area, we rarely had this to happen.

We did find quite a few people eager to practice their English skills with us. We also had a local student who we met that walk around with us.

But as a rule with any ports with the cruise ships go to, you will find vendors hawking their wares. I find a firm no and keep walking with work.

Now with Progreso, I can't say because we got off the ship dock bus and went right to the local bus station and on return to Progreso went right back to the ship.

Here's a tip I have picked up after living here for 20 plus years: when dealing with vendors, either sitting in a restaurant, on the beach or on the street, DO NOT make eye contact or acknowledge the vendor in any way. Looking at what they are selling will indicate to them some level of interest on your part and they will try to make the sale.

It is counter-intuitive to normal human contact and one doesn't want to be rude, but the vendor is intruding so don't feel bad.

Trust me, this works 95% of the time. Take it from a 'local'.

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter were in Progreso over the summer. We booked our own tour through AutoProgreso to the Dzib ruins. No complaints at all about AP-they delivered everything they promised. We were constantly approached by vendors on the beach but no one was intimidating-a "no thanks" was all we needed if we were not interested. Shopped in the open market where the tour busses depart from and had no problems there. The double decker tour bus was a blast and we'd have done it again if we'd had the time. Progreso is not a trendy resort area but rather more like the real Mexico.

Ah, to each his own:D. I loved Progreso, enjoyed beach bartering with the vendors (I hate shopping and it was a pleasure to buy some souveniers, beer in hand, and never move from my beach chair:p). I bought a poem and gave a tip to a little old lady who walked around with a piece of broken glass reminding everyone to keep their shoes on. I bought some trinkets from children....just enjoyed the people, the beach and the sunshine!

We went to Merida on Sept 20. There were 6 of us and took a taxi for 100.00 for 4 hours and they would pick us back up.

We all loved it. The church there is beautiful and if your are looking for Tourist Markets, you will not find them here. This is the real deal folks, this is where Mexico shops. We saw maybe 20 other american's shopping when we were headed for lunch. At first I was a little disappointed, but the futher into Mexico we walked the better I liked it. We had lunch at one of the hotel restaurants that was located by the plaza the taxi dropped us at. Lunch was awesome. We didn't even go to so called tourist nicknack shops by the plaza until we were waiting for our taxi. Of course he kept trying to tell us to go 2 blocks (which we thought was shopping) but it was for where he could pick us up. So the guy that took us on the church tour saw us sitting there and we were 30 minutes late for the taxi, so he was running down the street making sure we made it there before they left us... I would go visit - keep an open mind that this is not a normal stop. I was more disappoint in Cozumel, since they built the fake shopping area for the ship.

• 4 weeks later...

The folks that booked an excursion had a much better experience. Once could also stay on the ship. That's not all bad.

I didn't particularly like Progreso, but we didn't book an excursion. When we got there we were constantly asked to buy stuff, . I don't think they were bad people, just trying to make a living for their families. I just couldn't handle constantly being asked.

Either take an excursion to the ruins or stay on the ship. That's my take on it.

T. umphess:cool:

Archived