Best time to dine on westbound transatlantic?

fernem

Hi.

I am thinking that, although we prefer late dining, going westbound, where an hour is added each day, that eight forty five is going to feel like midnight in a few days!

Anyone have some thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Fern

We prefer traditional late dining, and also love the 25 hour days.

DITTO for me. Even with a limited number of ports, I still laze about and nap during the day. You'll be surprised how much there actually is to do on a cruise ship....

Then, a late dinner, with champagne; followed by a nightcap while getting ready for bed; and another extra hour of sleep.

WONDERFUL....:p

Hi.

I am thinking that, although we prefer late dining, going westbound, where an hour is added each day, that eight forty five is going to feel like midnight in a few days!

Thanks.

Fern

Fern

Honestly, not an issue. We had late dining on our TA and are not usually late eaters but preferred late dining to early on board.

Sue

Hi.

Thanks.

Fern

We had taken the Select Dining option to provide the time freedom for port days and to get me moving closer to our time zone on the crossing with a dining schedule that was similar to what we are accustomed to.

Actually, I found the opposite to be true. We chose late seating because of the original time change from the East Coast. Eating at 8:30 on the first night was like eating at 2:30 in the afternoon at home. As we sailed west, the dining time got closer to our normal time each day. By the time we reached Ft. Lauderdale, we were close to our normal hours.

I see that the OP is from the West Coast. You will experience a bigger time change at the beginning. I think eating later would be a better option for you.

I loved the Westbound Transatlantic crossing. We gained the hour at night. I wasn't as keen on the Eastbound because of the 23 hour days. We lost the hour at noon on the days of the time change.

Thanks for everyone's perspective.

I do not find select dining to have much appeal for several reasons. I like very much having the same waitstaff because I like to talk with them and get to hear about their countries and families and whatever they might share. I find it a real addition to cruising. I also do not mind a leisurely dinner. People who like select dining seem less interested in a longer dining experience and it moves along more quickly usually. I also like the waitstaff to know my needs and desires so I don't have to lay out what I like at every turn.

I think I will probably go back to late seating even though I know it could feel kind of late but we do not do the shows and we often walk the deck after dinner to digest and I imagine we will continue to do this. I might even try to learn to sleep in a bit even though I get too excited to start the day to sleep in very often on a cruise ship.

Thanks again.

Fern

Archived