Dive Gear Luggage

Hey Guys,

Need some help. I recently got some new dive gear(never owned, just rented) and need some help with purchasing some luggage for my gear. I would not like to spend ALOT of money, under 200, if I can. Any recommendations. Thanks

Hey Guys,

Need some help. I recently got some new dive gear(never owned, just rented) and need some help with purchasing some luggage for my gear. I would not like to spend ALOT of money, under 200, if I can. Any recommendations. Thanks

There is all kinds of SCUBA specific luggage out there complete with SCUBA gear manufacturer's logos and dive flags embroidered on them. They are like waving a flag and saying "Here, steal me now - I contain high dollar value SCUBA gear".

We own two such dedicated SCUBA bags, both with rollers, and they are convenient. We own our own plane so most of the time I fly us to our departure port. We do use these bags when I fly us there.

We NEVER use them when we fly commercially. What I did was use camouflage. I went to the Salvation Army store and bought a pair of older, hard sided Samsonite suitcases. Paid a whopping ten dollars for one and six bucks for the other. Both are on rollers and aren't that big of a hassle to move around. They are completely anonymous and don't look like they would likely contain anything very valuable. The baggage thieves leave them alone when there are so many other more attractive bags which they can steal.

We do have a really good briefcase style regulator bag for our regulators, dive computers, log books, etc. This bag ALWAYS stays with us as carry on no matter how we get to and then board the cruise ship. Even if everything else disappears we still have the most important things including our 'C' Cards.

Hope this info is helpful and this strategy does work.

:):):)

I bought a nice Akona bag because the mesh bags with gear are too heavy for me to carry far, especially once the gear is wet. I'm going to make a plain canvas cover with padding in the bottom to go over the bag when it's on the plane to disguise what it is and help protect the wheels from the gorillas.....er....luggage handlers.

WOW I have to thank oyu both. I have seen the SCUBA bags, and I never looked at it that way, people stealing the bag. That is great advice. Here I was looking for what SCUBA bags people have but now that I read that guess you are right. You both have been more helpful then you can imagine

Additionally, you need something to lug all your gear to the dive boat. They won't want you bring on anything fancy as space is limited. I take a simple duffle bag/sack. I'll bring it and all my dive gear in my regular luggage. Ziploc has these HUGE ziploc bags for laundry. I'll bring two of those. One for my dive gear and one for my dirty clothes.

I used to fly our dive equipment in a very fancy rolling dive bag that I won in a dive club raffle.

But then, in the middle of the San Juan airport, I realized that there were several folks eyeballing it, as it was totally obvious what it was, and what was inside. Fin pockets on the outside were a dead giveaway, even without the fairly discreet dive flag on top.

For the next trip, I bought a rolling bag at our local Bealls Outlet ($30 with multiple discounts), and now our dive gear looks like everyone else's luggage. I do line it with garbage bags first, to keep the bootie skank from permeating the bag on the trip home.

We bought mesh backpacks to take from the ship onto the boats, and it sure does work better for us than the roller bags. They have lasted about 10 trips so far, and are still going. YMMV, of course.

Have a great time, and some awesome dives!

Wendy

Here's something similar to what we bought:

http://www.diversdirect.com/scuba-diving/evo-deluxe-mesh-backpack/

ok Thanks wendy.

I have a question for you. The mesh bags, do they hold your regulator, you vest, mask snorkel, and fins and boots. I am looking for something that can hold all of my stuff. I understand about the luggage being plain looking. Even if the luggage is plain looking do you seperate the equiptment etc...... The reason i was thinking of dive bag is most of them have compartments for the various equiptment. I am just trying to figure it out regarding a regular piece of luggage.

Thanks

It depends on which configuration I'm using, but here goes...

Using a large rolly bag for two sets - I typically put snorkels (not used for diving) on the bottom, followed by dive skins, dive socks and my beanie to fill up the crevices between the handle tubes.

Then, I put hubby's XXL BC tank side down, with the bottom at the bottom end of the case.

The two 1st stages go in the bottom corners of the case, and I wind the 2nd stages around in the center, making sure that the cases are tucked down well, and not touching.

Then, I put my XL BC tank side up, reversed (neck at the bottom of the bag), so that I have a BC sandwich on top of the regs. Putting the BCs one up, one down reversed makes crevices for the 2nd stages - there is a method to my madness.

Then I put the 3 (not a typo) hard mask cases upright on end at the top of the bag, and the booties go alongside into the corners for cushioning.

The mesh bags and wetsuits get rolled and stuffed, or flat on top depending on which case (wide or deep).

We typically use soft duffels for our clothes, and the fins go on the top of those, upside down, fin pockets to the sides. Voila! non-squashable duffels.

The U/W camera and the computers typically go in my carry-on.

This next time, we are going one bag each for a 16 day trip, so I'll probably pack one set of gear in one bag each with our clothes, and put the HEAVY regs in a carry-on. I used to carry-on the regs, but always got someone at security that didn't know what they were, and would tear apart my carefully arranged bag.

Does that help?

Wendy

I like to bring my mesh bag. I can roll it up and put it in my suit case, along with my fins, towel, skin suits, and scuba excessoires. I bring my regulator, and perscription mask in my carry-on. Although I have my own BCD, I don't bring it often because it takes up so much room...so I prefer to just rent one.

Once on board I assemble my mesh dive bag and store it under the bed until dive days.

I like the mesh bag, easy to travel with and I use it like a backpack by flinging it over my shoulders. The straps are long enough and makes it easier to carry. Carrying it over one shoulder is a bit heavy, but I did it many times before I started to carry it like a backpack (much easier).

Here is a picture of mine....GOOD LUCK in finding the perfect bag for you.

025.jpg.efbee6940c54ef411776c0c4ad190717.jpg

Archived