Balmoral dining options

Topaz2

We have just booked a cruise on Balmoral but I am unclear about the dining venue options and the website doesn't really help. I assumed we would be allocated a table in the main dining room, but then there is mention of the Avon and Spey rooms where the menus and service are said to be the same. They look to be very appealing options but how do you get to use them? Do you have to request them pre-cruise, onboard or is it pot luck? Any help would be appreciated.

We have just booked a cruise on Balmoral but I am unclear about the dining venue options and the website doesn't really help. I assumed we would be allocated a table in the main dining room, but then there is mention of the Avon and Spey rooms where the menus and service are said to be the same. They look to be very appealing options but how do you get to use them? Do you have to request them pre-cruise, onboard or is it pot luck? Any help would be appreciated.

Haven't been on Balmoral, but on the Braemar you are allocated a table in one of the

dining rooms. I assume the Balmoral is the same. You can also use the buffet if you wish.

When you book your cruise or shortly after you will be asked what size of table you require for dinner. On the "Balmoral" you should also be asked which dining room you wish to be placed in. The Ballindalloch is the main, larger one which is pleasant and has a good ambiance. The Avon and Spey restaurants are on deck 10 and are smaller and more intimate. They also have magnificent sea views. The latter two are usually much in demand so early booking is essential. The menu is these three restaurants is the same.

Breakfast and lunch may be taken in any of these places or in the Palms cafe.

In several cruises on this ship I have found the food very good indeed.

Hope this helps.:)

We booked very early and just asked for 1st sitting and a table for 6 or 8. We got a table for 4 in the Spey even though our cabin was practically next door to the Ballinloch ! As it happens we thought the Spey and Avon are very much better than the Ballinloch for the sea views and a more intimate atmosphere. We ended up having lunch up there too. Some people think the Ballinloch gets very noisy too but I cannot comment on this.

Food - in some ways better than P&O but in some ways worse - so overall if you thought P&O grub was good you will be fine on Balmoral.

We have a mini cruise booked next year and we requested a 6 or 8 table in Avon or Spey. We have got the Spey so are v happy.

Have a great time - and it is true - when you walk in they will know your name.

Archived