Caribbean Seadream Questions

Sheltieluv

Hi All

Well, after looking at dozens of itineraries, ships, prices etc etc. until I'm cross-eyed and need a glass of wine, I keep bouncing back to Seadream. I'm looking at the November 19, 2011 cruise, which will put me on Jost van Dyke on the day of my 60th:eek:birthday, which will be Thanksgiving Day as well. Yes, I know I'm getting self-indulgent in my old age....but bear with me, as I need some advice--

This cruise starts in St. Thomas and ends in San Juan. We've been to St. Thomas but never to San Juan. So, I'm thinking that we could fly into San Juan a day early, see some of the sights, overnight there, and then fly over to St. Thomas to board SDII the next day. I looked at flights, and the cost of flying into St. Thomas the day before is pretty much the same as flying into San Juan (we'd be coming from Syracuse), including the hop from SJU to STT. Actually the schedules are much better into San Juan--fewer connections, etc. and we would have most of the afternoon to sightsee. (Please note that I used November 2010 dates just to get an idea of what's out there.)

There is an 11 a.m. (or thereabouts) flight on AA that flies from SJU to STT, and takes only a half hour, and we would do this the day of embarkation . Have any of you done something like this? With the added cab fares, etc. and throwing in that mini-flight, is this crazy to even think about? Comments/advice?

Thanks so much! :)

Hi All

So, I'm thinking that we could fly into San Juan a day early, see some of the sights, overnight there, and then fly over to St. Thomas to board SDII the next day. I looked at flights, and the cost of flying into St. Thomas the day before is pretty much the same as flying into San Juan (we'd be coming from Syracuse), including the hop from SJU to STT. .... Have any of you done something like this? With the added cab fares, etc. and throwing in that mini-flight, is this crazy to even think about? Comments/advice?

Thanks so much! :)

Hi,

We flew into SJU from Philadelphia (and before that the UK!) in January and stayed overnight in Old San Juan and had a great time.

We flew out next day to St Thomas, I think, and got the ferry to Jost.

We then spent a week on JVD - and saw Seadream 1 on the last day and waved hello to all from a dinghy - and then went on the return trip (ferry, taxi, plane, taxi) to SJU the next day to join SD 1 in SJU. Shame we couldn't just have slipped aboard on JVD and slept on the deck for the night!

Have to say, hopping between the islands was no problem, we used Cape Air and AA and they were very relaxed about us taking an earlier flight because we allowed plenty of time.

One concern might be that one day during our holidays there was an eruption on Montserrat and that day many flights in and out of SJU - and possibly STT - were cancelled because of the ash cloud.

But can recommend Old SJU for a night and day out. Well worth the extra for taxis etc. Go for it!

Have a morning in SJU and take a lunchtime flight. You can't board before 2pm anyway, and I would actually aim for 4pm or so and have a couple of extra hours in SJU. You get great canapes on SD to make up for a kissed lunch!

Last year we sailed on SD starting out in St. Thomas and ending up in San Juan. We wanted to spend extra time in San Juan so we just booked extra time in San Juan at the end of the voyage. I guess that doesn't work for you next year? Personally I prefer to keep travel arrangements as simple as possible so as to not tempt fate or the travel gods - one year there was a bomb threat on St. Thomas and the air port shut down for a couple of hours as an example, so we never wait until the day of the voyage to arrive but that's just because I hate to risk missing even one night on SD.

FT

Hi flygod and ft--Thank you for your replies.

I did think about spending an extra day in San Juan at the end of the cruise, but I'm not sure that would work for us. (DH would have to be back at work on Monday, and he likes a day to unwind after the joys of flying). Also, I have read that Sunday is very busy at sju airport as it is a turnaround day for the large ships?

However, we could try for a very early a.m. flight on Sunday before the cruise-ship crowds arrive to fly home. That might work.

It would also entail the expense of another hotel stay as we would fly into STT the day before embarkation to be on the safe side. I'll look at the schedules. And to top everything, it's Thanksgiving week, the busiest time of the year for travel!

I guess I could just make things easier and cruise earlier in November and just celebrate my b'day early. :p Lots to think about!

Hi Stan01

I did see Cape Air listed w/lots of flights; just not familiar with them.

I'm assuming we would have to check in in 2-3 hours prior for one of those short flights on the "puddle-hopper" planes from STT back to San Juan? Other posters have kindly suggested using porters to expedite the process; I'm assuming Security lines are the hold-up?

Thanks for your reply!

Mary (owned by an 8-year old sheltie and a 16-year old cat!):)

Leaving San Juan early on a Sunday is really feasible because the large ships don't disembark early enough to catch that early flight. I used Cape Air to fly between islands and they are sometimes kind of casual about the schedule, so allow yourself some extra time. But they do leave about every hour, so you should be fine. Have a great birthday. Jost van Dyke is a perfect spot to spend your birthday!

Surfklutz, and everyone--

Thanks for your input! I will look into Cape Air. With flights so frequent, we shouldn't have any problem getting back to San Juan from STT. It's amazing that flights to/from San Juan are so much cheaper than to St. Thomas from Syracuse, and the schedules are much "friendlier" too! St. Thomas is so close to PR one would think airfare/flight times would be similar.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Happy b'day Ragnar!

The flight itself is very interesting. They never gain much altitude between the islands so you can see both islands from a different view point. It is almost like a tour rather than a connection. Our pilot was about 490 years old and my sister in law had a death grip on me the whole flight - so it was even more interesting.

The flight itself is very interesting. They never gain much altitude between the islands so you can see both islands from a different view point. It is almost like a tour rather than a connection. Our pilot was about 490 years old and my sister in law had a death grip on me the whole flight - so it was even more interesting.

ROFL! I had a death grip on DJ's DH's arm when we flew from SJU to Tortola when I saw the pilot get out a feather duster to spruce up the control panel while we were at 5,000 feet:eek:

The views out the window really are beautiful!

Those "puddle-hopper" flights are "interesting," aren't they?

We once flew over to Andros, Bahamas w/ a former Canadian bush pilot. As we were taxi-ing down the runway, he had his door open and kept lifting his headphones, listening for only God knows what. :eek: Then, he finally shut the door and as we took off, a box of spare bolts came sliding out from under his seat. His comment was, "Spare parts, eh?!" The rest of the flight was uneventful, the scenery gorgeous, and, as Disney Jen, I finally relaxed my death grip on DH and enjoyed the view.:p

I do have a question for anyone who can help me out--in St. Thomas, is there a separate line for people who wouldn't be checking bags? (am going to TRY to just do carry-on's as we won't be taking scuba gear). Or does everyone have to stand in that long line to check in for any flight, including the flights back to SJU on the small planes, regardless? Can I use a porter to expedite the process if we aren't checking luggage and would just have a couple of carry-on bags? I'm still trying to decide whether to just pay the extra $ and deal w/ a less favorable schedule to fly home post-cruise from St. Thomas, or go back to SJU, and spend the night there, and then fly home. Confusing, I know.....:rolleyes: And I'm probably asking dumb ?'s.....sorry.....:o

Those "puddle-hopper" flights are "interesting," aren't they?

We once flew over to Andros, Bahamas w/ a former Canadian bush pilot. As we were taxi-ing down the runway, he had his door open and kept lifting his headphones, listening for only God knows what. :eek: Then, he finally shut the door and as we took off, a box of spare bolts came sliding out from under his seat. His comment was, "Spare parts, eh?!" The rest of the flight was uneventful, the scenery gorgeous, and, as Disney Jen, I finally relaxed my death grip on DH and enjoyed the view.:p

I do have a question for anyone who can help me out--in St. Thomas, is there a separate line for people who wouldn't be checking bags? (am going to TRY to just do carry-on's as we won't be taking scuba gear). Or does everyone have to stand in that long line to check in for any flight, including the flights back to SJU on the small planes, regardless? Can I use a porter to expedite the process if we aren't checking luggage and would just have a couple of carry-on bags? I'm still trying to decide whether to just pay the extra $ and deal w/ a less favorable schedule to fly home post-cruise from St. Thomas, or go back to SJU, and spend the night there, and then fly home. Confusing, I know.....:rolleyes: And I'm probably asking dumb ?'s.....sorry.....:o

No such thing as a dumb question;)

Regardless of whether you have carry ons or you check luggage you still have to get in line with your luggage for Customs and Immigration (yes, even though you just cleared a few hours ago on the yacht). You then get in another line. As you approach the Security area there are huge machines to your left where people with checked bags place their luggage and it is screened and people with just carry ons head right to the scanners. (We just did this last month when we were on STT for a week).

Everyone, regardless of which airline, has to go through the same process.

I don't know why you couldn't use a porter for carry ons. We always end up checking bags:rolleyes:

If memory serves, you will have to clear Customs and Immigration again on SJU if you don't have a connecting flight.

Hope this info helps!

Good morning, Jen

Yes, the information helps a lot; thank you!

Based on what you just said, I'm considering just biting the bullet and flying home from dreaded STT rather than returning to San Juan for an extra night and flying from there. My DH would never forgive me for dragging him through so many airports..... I wish Seadream had a round-trip from San Juan, or even St. Martin on their schedule for next November. Anything but STT!

Oh well, it is what it is....and I think from the positive posts I've read about this cruiseline...sorry, yachts.....:o the experience will more than make up for the flight concerns. We watched the dvd last night that Seadream sent us, and my husband's only comment was that there wasn't a balcony, but I told him we wouldn't be in the cabin much anyway. He did like the fact that the ship is small and all-inclusive.

Thanks again!

ps--do you know if they ever serve conch fritters?! Can't seem to find them up here in northern NY! :rolleyes:

Good morning, Jen

Yes, the information helps a lot; thank you!

Based on what you just said, I'm considering just biting the bullet and flying home from dreaded STT rather than returning to San Juan for an extra night and flying from there. My DH would never forgive me for dragging him through so many airports..... I wish Seadream had a round-trip from San Juan, or even St. Martin on their schedule for next November. Anything but STT!

Oh well, it is what it is....and I think from the positive posts I've read about this cruiseline...sorry, yachts.....:o the experience will more than make up for the flight concerns. We watched the dvd last night that Seadream sent us, and my husband's only comment was that there wasn't a balcony, but I told him we wouldn't be in the cabin much anyway. He did like the fact that the ship is small and all-inclusive.

Thanks again!

ps--do you know if they ever serve conch fritters?! Can't seem to find them up here in northern NY! :rolleyes:

Good morning to you too!

You're welcome ... glad I could help.

We aren't conch fritter fans and I don't recall seeing conch fritters on SD but that doesn't mean they don't have them as part of a lunch menu. You might be able to ask for them as a special request.

Archived