Just off Dawn 8/29 (category AC suite)

cs

We had a great cruise and did hit the aftermath of Earl. Friday night we had 30 foot waves (the captain said 9 meters but they could have been larger) and it was pretty bad at the front of the ship. During the night, the ship would go up a wave, feel like we were airborne for a couple of seconds, and then go back down hitting the water with a VERY LOUD BOOM. I was scared a couple of times because it was so very loud when we hit water and sometimes it felt like the ship was going to tip over on it's side. The captain said we were all vikings now! lol

For those wondering about the category AC - we could use the balcony most of the sea days; it really wasn't too windy to use (except for the stormy day).

There were quite a few kids on our sailing and the captain announced a few times that they shouldn't be running onboard, and basically reminded them to have courtesy to their fellow passengers.

They didn't have comment cards (or we didn't get any) but I would have liked to give good remarks to two deserving staff members. Our butler, Das, was excellent. And there was a bar server named Agus who was a pleasure to talk to and a great personality. A few other staff memebers were also awesome but I didn't catch their names.

It was a great trip! Feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to answer.

It's funny how different a butler can be on one sailing to the next. We sailed Aug. 8th in an AE we has Das as our butler he was the worst. When we called I felt like we were bothering him. We asked for things and never recieved. I think it's crazy if NCL has the butler handling the front & back of the ship at the same time. If the butler has to take care of the AE & AD's at the back of the ship & also get pulled to the front of the ship to handle the AC's this would explain why we felt ignored. Running front & back all day long can be exhuasting but There's no reason why my suite experience had to be so sour. NCL should have a butler dedicated to suites on the Aft & another butler for the front. We are suppose to go next year in an AD but because of our experience we may go back to a balcony where we were very happy. By the way I couldn't even tell you what Das looked like we only saw him once.

It's funny how different a butler can be on one sailing to the next. We sailed Aug. 8th in an AE we has Das as our butler he was the worst. When we called I felt like we were bothering him. We asked for things and never recieved. I think it's crazy if NCL has the butler handling the front & back of the ship at the same time. If the butler has to take care of the AE & AD's at the back of the ship & also get pulled to the front of the ship to handle the AC's this would explain why we felt ignored. Running front & back all day long can be exhuasting but There's no reason why my suite experience had to be so sour. NCL should have a butler dedicated to suites on the Aft & another butler for the front. We are suppose to go next year in an AD but because of our experience we may go back to a balcony where we were very happy. By the way I couldn't even tell you what Das looked like we only saw him once.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with him. We didn't use his services too much but when we did he was very easy to work with. We had coffee delivered to our stateroom every morning at 6:30 and one time we had dinner delievered to our suite. Other than that we didn't really need to use his services.

He is a very fun guy. We have sailed with him a few times and even had the pleasure of having dinner with him once. Did you know he has a twin brother that is also a Sea Captain.

PE

He has two brothers that are Captains,he is triplet!

Das was our butler in May for 2 suites and he was great. Was he busy, yes. But we were on vacation and relaxed if something took an extra 20 minutes to get to us, big whoop. We were in a suite, with a huge balcony and all the privacy we wanted. It was great. We treated him with respect and kindness and he did the same in return. You have to understand that if 10 suites call at once you won't get served within moments. Would it be great if they had more butlers, sure. But I would think the suite prices would reflect that and I'd rather wait a little longer for my brioche then pay an extra $1k for it. Oh, and here is a picture of Das with my mom:

das.jpg.3994c8e4d09414306989f6ac2412fa75.jpg

Das was our butler in May for 2 suites and he was great. Was he busy, yes. But we were on vacation and relaxed if something took an extra 20 minutes to get to us, big whoop. We were in a suite, with a huge balcony and all the privacy we wanted. It was great. We treated him with respect and kindness and he did the same in return. You have to understand that if 10 suites call at once you won't get served within moments. Would it be great if they had more butlers, sure. But I would think the suite prices would reflect that and I'd rather wait a little longer for my brioche then pay an extra $1k for it. Oh, and here is a picture of Das with my mom:

I am not the poster in question who didn't have a good experience with Das, but I felt I had to chime in here. It seems a lot of the problem is with attitude, the poster didn't say a thing about waiting an extra 20 minutes. We have had an excellent butler and then, on our last Gem cruise, a poor one who also made us feel that we were bothering him with any requests. And, we always treat all staff with respect and kindness. I don't think you can turn it back on the poster and say it was all her fault. Everyone here on cruise critic has their own experience to share -- yours apparently was different, but it doesn't guarantee that the poster was rude or impatient. Every butler should make his suites feel as if he is there to gladly serve them, no matter how many suites he has.

We had a great cruise and did hit the aftermath of Earl. Friday night we had 30 foot waves (the captain said 9 meters but they could have been larger) and it was pretty bad at the front of the ship. During the night, the ship would go up a wave, feel like we were airborne for a couple of seconds, and then go back down hitting the water with a VERY LOUD BOOM. I was scared a couple of times because it was so very loud when we hit water and sometimes it felt like the ship was going to tip over on it's side. The captain said we were all vikings now! lol

For those wondering about the category AC - we could use the balcony most of the sea days; it really wasn't too windy to use (except for the stormy day).

There were quite a few kids on our sailing and the captain announced a few times that they shouldn't be running onboard, and basically reminded them to have courtesy to their fellow passengers.

They didn't have comment cards (or we didn't get any) but I would have liked to give good remarks to two deserving staff members. Our butler, Das, was excellent. And there was a bar server named Agus who was a pleasure to talk to and a great personality. A few other staff memebers were also awesome but I didn't catch their names.

The comment cards now come in your email in a few days, if not call NCL.

Yes we also had a rough time, we were in a suite in the Aft and it was a wild night- I felt like I was going to fall out of bed a few times , I felt like we needed a seatbelt in bed. I/We hardly had any sleep at all , at times I /we were pretty scared. But we made it. I will never forget the experience that is for sure..... We liked our concerige , we hardly saw the butler. Our conceirge was Janoop and our butler was Jayson. It was nice to meet all of you on the ship and the Meet and Greet. Laundry is all done- I never felt like it was going to end. I wish they would bring back the laundry facilities.

I would not have minded wait 20 min. But we waited 48 hours for beach towels. We ended up calling Anoop and finally got them. We also wanted menus for in room dining when I called him he told us it was in the blue book. We wanted the menus from the dining rooms. We left the room when we came back the menu he brought us was the reg room service menu. I thought they discontinued in room dining from the main restuarants. When I came back I found out that wasn't the case.

9 meters = 30 feet about. Waves aren't exact some will be higher and some will be lower so a 30 foot sea would normally have waves between 25-35 feet....with an occasional rouge wave higher.

What you heard was the waves slapping the bow on the front of the ship. The higher the waves the higher the slap. They make a booming sound against the hull.

BTW if you have a problem with your butler, next time ask the conceirge to have the hotel director contact you. They will either call or visit.

and butler service includes serving you full meals in courses from the main dining room menu.

9 meters = 30 feet about. Waves aren't exact some will be higher and some will be lower so a 30 foot sea would normally have waves between 25-35 feet....with an occasional rouge wave higher.

What you heard was the waves slapping the bow on the front of the ship. The higher the waves the higher the slap. They make a booming sound against the hull.

I wouldn't be surprised if we had some rogue waves in there. Some of the booms were loud and some were scary loud.

The woman in our neighboring suite said she couldn't sleep and was watching outside. I know this is hearsay but she told us when the captain turned on the floodlights for a brief moment, she could see the waves as high as our 9th floor cabin. I don't know what the wave height would be for them to be as high as the 9th floor.

Archived