Carnival Spirit 8/24/2010 Review

Sailor2Cruiser

This will not be a minute by minute review. This is just my thoughts on our first Carnival cruise.

The check-in process at Pier 91 cruise terminal in Seattle went very smoothly. I was surprised by the enthusiasm of the women working the sail and sign cards. One woman got done with the people she was working with and started waving and calling for the next group to come up. She looked like she enjoyed her job and it set a good tone for us. We arrived at the terminal at about 11:20 and was onboard in about 20 minutes. The vacation was in full swing in no time.

I wasn't ready for the size of the ship. I spent 21 years in the Navy, but I avoided aircraft carriers because I preferred small ships. I watched as the line handlers pulled the lines (using a forklift) off the moorings. I looked aft, but aft wasn't where I was used to seeing it. I kept turning my head and still no aft end of the ship. Finally I found it. Wow, I am impressed now.

We met our room steward almost immediately upon entering our stateroom and she was very nice and opened the connecting door between our stateroom and my SIL/BIL's stateroom. We asked to have our trash can filled with ice for our soft drinks and she had it filled twice a day. She greeted us by name everytime she saw us.

We were assigned a booth for 4 on the upper level of the Empire Room. Our headwaiter helped us with our dinner decisions each night and when we couldn't decide, he decided to bring both entrees. The assistant waiter was always ready with little comments that made us laugh. We never knew what he was going to do next.

We were blown away right from the first meal. The only thing I didn't like was the taste of the creme in the Black Forest Gateau. We ate almost every meal in the main dining room and enjoyed each one from start to finish. We ate lunch the first day and on Sunday in the buffets, and when we had early morning excursions, twice, we ordered room service. We were surprised to find a muffin from room service was a cupcake, but other than that, no complaints. The food was outstanding!

We ate in the Nouveau Steakhouse the evening we left Juneau. They seated us next to the window on the upper deck and that night the Humpback whales were everywhere! The passage was as calm as could be and we could see whales for miles. The meal was very good and like in the Empire Room, it seemed to never stop coming.

When we returned to the Empire Room the next evening, the Sr. Assistant Maitre 'D, stopped by our table and told us she noticed we were missing last night, was everything ok? We struck up a good relationship with her and the Junior Hostesses as at least one of us was wearing tie-dye at breakfast or lunch and they got a kick out of it.

We saw the The Big Easy and what a sensational performance that was! I wasn't aware that the Spirit had instituted the Punchliner comedy clubs when we arrived, but they had and they had 2 good comedians before we got to Juneau. We didn't see the 2 that came on in Juneau to finish out our cruise. They ran a PG rated show before 9:45 and then their R rated show after. Nobody under 18 was allowed for the R rated show.

We had GREAT weather for our port visits to Skagway and Juneau. It rained (a mist) in Ketchikan and also our transit of Tracy Arm Fjord. I was disappointed we couldn't get around the bend to see the glaciers in Tracy Arm Fjord, but we did see the upper portion of Sawyer Glacier and that was pretty exciting.

We took the Carcross Rail and Bus tour in Skagway. It was excellent! Our tour guide was great. I always wanted to go to the Yukon Territory, so I can check that off my bucket list. Emerald Lake and Blue/Green Lake were so colorful in the bright sunlight. The train ride was fun and I was glad we only took it one way.

We booked a Whale Watching/Mendenhall Glacier Combo Tour in Juneau. The jet boat was only about a 14 passenger boat and we got close to an island that was covered with seals and sea lions. And then there were the whales! We also got a pretty good view of Eagle Glacier during the ride.

My biggest complaint, and I know why they have it, was the single sided toilet paper.

As vacations go, this one will be hard to beat. We had an absolutely awesome time. It was hard to leave the ship, but they made us do it anyway.

We can't wait for our next cruise.

Mike

WOW Mike you started out cruising right at the top of the list with your first cruise being to Alaska.

The "mood" of an Alaska cruise is totally different than a Caribbean cruise so don't be shocked on future cruises.

Thanks for your review, very honest and forthcoming and well written.

One question, what type room were you in all week.

We sailed Alaska May 2009 with a balcony room and found that we did not use it much at all, too cool (we are FLoridians) and next time I'd probably book Inside and use the extra for excursions.

Definitely gorgeous sailing and country in Alaska.

Welcome home and happy future cruising!

Susan

We were in a balcony cabin forward on the Veranda (7th) deck on the starboard side. We used the balcony a lot. It was hot in Virginia before we left and the cool felt great!

We also learned you can fit 4 people on a balcony with no problem. We turned 2 chairs sideways, brought out the arm chair and the desk stool. The table can be moved somewhere to accomodate.

I know Alaska is about the pinnacle of cruising, but having lived there and my SIL/BIL never being there, it seemed the best choice for starters. And my SIL has MS so she does better in cool weather.

I won't say the whole week was perfect, but it was close enough. My DW says we had rough seas when we left Ketchikan, but that was the only time we felt the ship roll. When we laid in bed it felt like someone was shaking a foot to help them relax, but neither one of us was moving.

I can't say enough good things about this vacation. It made going back to work a little more bearable.

Archived