Newark airport to manhatten cruise port

ehogan

What is the best way to get from Newark airport to the Manhatten terminal - taxi or shuttle.

Time will be a bit of an issue - our ship overnights at the terminal but they are indicating a last check in at 8 p.m. and we will arrive at 5 p.m.

Any idea of costs?

You can either arrange for Princess transfers or take a taxi. Do you arrive at the port at 5:00 or the airport at 5:00? That is right in the middle of rush hour and traffic is very heavy at that time. A taxi should cost around $45-$50 plus any tolls.

Personally... I'd arrange for a towncar to pick you up. A trip like that would be somewhere in the neighborhood of like $70. Yellow Taxi from Newark.... I can't really say. But I'd take a guess that in the end it would be comparable.

Try Dial (http://www.dial7.com) or XYZ (http://www.xyzcar.com).

You can either have them meet you in baggage claim or at passenger pickup outside the terminal.

What is the best way to get from Newark airport to the Manhattan terminal - taxi or shuttle.

This is a PRINCESS board. PRINCESS ships use the terminal in Brooklyn. They (usually) use Brooklyn for turn-arounds, where one would embark or disembark; only Manhattan (and only occasionally) when New York is a mid-cruise port call.

I would suggest using the PRINCESS transfer. Taxi costs can be expensive, since a state line (and franchise issues) come into play here. (The taxi cannot pick up a return passenger in another state, and must return empty; this additional cost must be factored in.) Besides, the transfer driver will know where to find the terminal; an out-of-state taxi driver may not!

Frankly you have no margin for error. I have lived in New Jersey most of my life and have been through EWR at least a hundred times. You could easily spent an hour disembarking, collecting your luggage and stepping out to the curb. As posted previously, traffic is fierce at that time of day going to your destination if it's Manhattan, should you need to go to Brooklyn, that's even worse. What if the plane is late? Your best bet is a Princess transfer.

Time will be a bit of an issue - our ship overnights at the terminal but they are indicating a last check in at 8 p.m. and we will arrive at 5 p.m.

Likely, if sailing time is 8:00PM, the PRINCESS transfers will have ceased operation by that time. A 5:00PM flight arrival is WAY too late, since you must be on board no later than 7:00PM (or, maybe 6:30PM). Can you change your flight ... earlier? A 5:00PM arrival may work for a LaGuardia arrival (due to proximity); but, even that is VERY risky.

does anyone know what time you can board the cruise ship in newyork

(costa- new england cruise)

any help would be appreciated

most cruise lines begin boarding about 4-5 hours before sailing time. So if its 4-5 pm sailing sailing 11-12 or so boarding.

BTW a 5 pm arrival for an 8 pm sailing is almost impossible. If you are late at all you risk missing the ship. DHS regulations require the transmittal of the final manifest 1 hour before the ship sails. In order for the manifest to be transmitted, the cruise line closes it to further additions at least 90 minutes before sailing. So by 6:30 the manifest is closed. If you are going through customs and immigration, it will take you at least an hour to get through EWR and during this time of night an hour or more may be necessary to get to the Brooklyn Cruise terminal.

I suggest you come in earlier or use LGA if possible and come in earlier as well.

If the ship is overnighting in Brooklyn they normally will not close the manifest until the following day and if people are leaving the ship they need the same security as they have when people are checking in. if that is the case you can always check in on board although they may not have anu one to check your luggage....

Archived