Uniworld River Royale

mn2ga

-- Looking for some help before and after our cruise in May. We are beginning the cruise in Chalon Sur Saone and ending in Arles, so a few questions:

1. Is it better/easier to spend a night in Chalon or Lyon prior to the cruise? Any hotel recommendation?

2. I'm confused about the cruise transfer from Lyon to Chalon. Is it true that the transfer is included in our cruise price even if we did not book airfare with Uniworld? If not, do you know the cost?

3. At the end of the cruise, how much time do I need to allow for the transfer to the MRS airport before a flight to Paris?

4. Again, do we pay for that transfer separately or is it included?

5. After the cruise, does Uniworld offer a tour that would store our luggage and deliver us to the airport if we decide to take a later flight to CDG?

Thanks!

1. I'd be too nervous not to arrive before cruise day in case of airline or luggage problems. Air France was having problems and some folks arrived 2nd day. We did our own flights and spent 2 nights before cruise in Marseille (Hotel La Residence with view of Old Port) then 2 nights after in Lyon (Hotel des Celestins.) We went South to North.

Travel agent arranged the pre-cruise transfer with Uniworld. Our tickets came with the flight number and time of another couple arriving in MRS. We just had to get to the airport by that time. Transfers were free.

Call Uniworld and ask them about it.

3. Bus/Shuttle from MRS to Arles was about an hour. Shuttles to Lyon after Chalon were leaving 3:00 am to 1:00 pm. Early ones had Continental Breakfast, we left at 10:00 so had full buffet breakfast. Post-cruise arrangements for shuttle were made on-board 2 nights before end of cruise.

5. See 3.

cb

In the recent Uniworld brochure, it lists the Meridien Etoile as the hotel. It is terribel. I stayed there in May. It is a dump in a bad location. Rooms are small, dirty, and have bugs. I usually like Meridien Hotels. I am a starwoods rewards guest. This hotel is a tourist dump. There are many much better cleaner hotels in Paris. Read tripadvisor. I have stayed in Paris many times. My favorite locations are near Metro stops. I loved the Chateau Frontenac, a block off the Champs Elysee.

I take the North to South route in March, and need to get to Marseilles to get the TGV to Paris (it says the transfer is included, at least to the airport). Can anyone tell me what time or how long it takes to from disembarkation (usually about 9.00 am I think?) to transfer to Marseilles so I can book my TGV ticket for Paris?

Merci :)

Two nights before the end of the cruise they have everyone fill out a form with the time of their flights from Marseille. Just tell them the time of any flight around the time you want to leave Marseille. They do not need to know about the train from Marseille.

Shuttle takes about an hour to get to MRS. Shuttles leave all morning starting about 3:00 am. People are grouped on the shuttles to meet their flights.

No worries, cb

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know how far in advance Uniworld publishes on-line the planned optional tours for the south-to-north Rhone river cruise? My wife and I are on the trip from May 13-21. Are these optional tours worth taking or should we try arrange tours on our own for any ports where time permits?Thanks in advance for any advice.

You can call Uniworld and get the info. I don't recall them being on-line.

We were on the Oct. 30 South to North this year.

We went on all of the included tours and my husband went on the first 2 optional tours. He said they were very good. He skipped the last one because he had already gone on 2 wine-tastings, so we walked around the town of Chalon. There is a lot of activity on the included tours and I needed a rest.

It would be hard to arrange separate tours due to the schedules of the ship's sailing times each day. They do not announce the sailing times until the evening before. This might be due to their having to schedule times for going through the locks.

Just relax and try not to over-plan. It is a busy trip. You will have a great time!!

cb

Does anybody know how far in advance Uniworld publishes on-line the planned optional tours for the south-to-north Rhone river cruise? My wife and I are on the trip from May 13-21.

I think what you want is the 2012 Cruise Companion for your itinerary, which is already posted on the Uniworld web site at http://www.uniworld.com/Media/US-English/2012_France_CC-SE.pdf Your info begins on page 34.

We took the North-to-South itinerary this past April, and it was a very nice trip.

http://hillrisefarm.us/Uniworld_2011.html

I agree with "cb", it's difficult to set up shore excursions on your own due to the variable port arrival and departure times that are rarely available to passengers (or even Uniworld shore-side staff).

Have fun on your cruise!! Cheers!

...Karl

Still trying tidy up my transfers and wondered if anyone knows how far it is from where the ship docks to the Arles Railway Station? I am thinking it is going to be easier on my own with luggage to do this on TGV to Paris, rather than from Marseilles to Paris. It's only another 1/2 hour on TGV.

Is it far, I can't seem to find where the Royale actually docks in Arles?

Thank you!

Still trying tidy up my transfers and wondered if anyone knows how far it is from where the ship docks to the Arles Railway Station? Is it far, I can't seem to find where the Royale actually docks in Arles?

When we disembarked in Arles this past May 1st, I'm pretty sure I remember in the talk the night before the train station was "only a long walk" from where we were tied up. It was implied you could actually drag your rolling luggage there yourself. (From my documentation, the ship was at address: "Quai du 8 Mai 45"). If you can locate the train station on Google Earth, the tie-up was on the same side of the river as the train station, right next to a bombed-out bridge. (The remaining abuttments have lions atop them). On Google Earth, it looks like perhaps the train station is no more than three or four Royale-lengths away, although there will be lots of ups-and-downs that don't show from Google Earth's perspective. ;) Hope that helps somewhat.

Have a terrific cruise!!

...Karl

It was implied you could actually drag your rolling luggage there yourself.

Actually, from what we've seen on our five Uniworld Europe cruises, it wouldn't be out of character for Uniworld to just go ahead and offer to transport you and your luggage to the train station on the morning of disembarkation, since the station in Arles is so close. I'm thinking you just need to talk with your Cruise Manager the night they ask you to confirm your departure arrangements, and see what he/she says. Good luck! :)

...Karl

When we were on the cruise this past May one of the couples we met said that they walked from the train station to the dock with their luggage and it was a easy walk. I guess that depends on how many pieces you have, but it probably would be an easy thing to do on your own. I am sure that the cruiseline would also arrange for a cab (which they did for us in Chalon) if you choose that option. They are very accommodating!

B. Cole

Thank you for the info. I was first going to get the complimentary transfer to Marseille and get the TGV from there and early enquiries categorically said no, they would not drop me in Marseille at the railway station. I was going to consider the other suggestion that I not tell them but that left it all a bit much in the air for my peace of mind. I investigated the TGV from Arles which is only 1/2 hour more so negates the travel to Marseilles.

I was surprised however, that no offer of "complimentary transfers included" meant only the airport. AMA were very accommodating like that on our last cruise. It's my first with Uniworld. I understand they can't be transporting 100 people/couples to too many destinations, but I would have thought the train stations AND the airport wasn't too much to ask. Noble Caledonia managed that in Edinburgh with all their ups and downs in Admin!

So it will be walk or taxi if they don't wish to help me out (solo traveller who is hoping the foot condition to be totally healed by then!)

When we booked our trip for this coming May 2012, our travel agent was informed by Uniworld that the River Royale was scheduled to undergo a complete refurb, which has probably started by now in order to meet this spring's schedule. They said that it would be even nicer onboard than it currently is/was. Has anyone heard this same story? Not that it matters as we will be totally happy with the boat in its current config.:)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Kathy,

(I have no idea why I didn't see your post earlier... I usually get an email alert there's been a posting to the threads to which I've subscribed. Sorry.)

The hotel Uniworld used was Le Méridien Etoile. We had mixed feelings on this hotel after we'd stayed there. Before we booked, we looked on the hotel's web site, and it looked really good. What we found once we arrived: All of the public rooms and staff were great, and the included morning breakfast buffet was almost as good as what you'll find on the River Royale. Unfortunately, our room (and the room our friends were in at the other end of the same floor) left a lot to be desired. The king bed was a bowl; high on the sides and a deep depression in the middle. There was peeling paint in the WC. Housekeeping never left two sets of bath linens, so we always had to call to get a second set. For the entire three days, housekeeping never replaced our used water glasses. We think the higher floors are the nicer rooms, and the floor Uniworld books is the oldest, minimalist floor. Our room definitely didn't look anything like the rooms shown on the hotel's web site. Wi-fi was an additional 32 Euros for the three days, which we elected not to purchase. On the plus side, the hotel is next to the Congress mall / convention center, just a few blocks NE of the Arc de Triomphe. The train entrance is just half a block away, so you can get everywhere by train. There are several good/casual open-air restaurants within walking distance, too, so you're not limited to the hotel's restaurants and bars. The Uniworld price seems high, ($1000 US per person) but since it includes the breakfast buffet and the airport/ship transfers, it's probably minimally worth the extra money to be met at the airport by a Uniworld rep, and not to have to worry about the logistics. There is a Uniworld hostess who has a desk at the hotel, and she was there first thing in the morning and then again later in the day. Uniworld hosts a brief orientation talk in one of the hotel's lounges the first evening, with an included complementary bar drink. We didn't take any of the offered Uniworld hotel-based excursions, and just hopped into cabs wherever we went because one of our friends had ankle problems. Cabs aren't expensive, but you have to add 3 Euros and double-check the cab will take a fourth person.

Bottom line, if we had to do it over again, we'd either book into the hotel ourselves, and make sure we reserved a room on one of the renovated/updated floors in the hotel, or else we'd book another hotel. As always, though, your mileage may vary. ;)

...Karl

Has anyone else stayed here? They are still using that hotel for the Burgundy and Provence extension.

The video quality isn't very good (it's kind of dark and grainy). Eric and Emmanuelle are really subdued during their interviews (and not the lively, funny, animated, cordial, and charming people they are in person), but this might give folks another look into this itinerary. Cheers!

...Karl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6NcXf2ACgHg

KarlS--super video info--thanks! I realize this has been probably asked & answered elsewhere in this site, but I'm not sure I understand the limitations on luggage. My wife and I were planning on bringing a medium sized roll-around per person (too big to fit in airline overhead), and a shared smaller size roll-around (fits in overhead of airline). Leaving most of the tourist crap at home this time. Thanks in advance for an answer from anybody.

PS--bought a couple of bottles of wine from the lower Rhone region last week and found them very nice! Great price value, especially when compared to some of our local Northern California wines. :)

KarlS--super video info--thanks! I realize this has been probably asked & answered elsewhere in this site, but I'm not sure I understand the limitations on luggage. My wife and I were planning on bringing a medium sized roll-around per person (too big to fit in airline overhead), and a shared smaller size roll-around (fits in overhead of airline). Leaving most of the tourist crap at home this time. Thanks in advance for an answer from anybody.

PS--bought a couple of bottles of wine from the lower Rhone region last week and found them very nice! Great price value, especially when compared to some of our local Northern California wines. :)

Your luggage will fit under the bed with no problem! Enjoy your cruise :)

Archived