Howard Johnson Plaza de Armas in OSJ

CaribbeanAmphibian

Has anyone stayed here? We are looking for an inexpensive place to stay and we would like to stay in Old San Juan in order to be able to walk around. I've some reviews and for the most part they are decent. Anyone on here stayed there and if so what were your thoughts and if anyone has some pictures that would be great since I'm tired of looking at the same 6 that the web sites put up.

We stayed at HoJo Plaza de Armas for 3 days pre-cruise in Feb. Loved the location. Staff was great, rooms are clean, cold AC (little noisy). Just remember this is a very old building and is not a resort hotel, no pool, no spa, etc. Most rooms do not have windows, if you want a window ask for the rooms at the front of the building. For us this was a great hotel as we enjoyed being able to come and go to tour OSJ. Most every thing is in walking distance. There is a free trolly stop and taxi stand in front of the hotel. many places to eat and get a drink close by. The Plaza de Armas is across the street and there is a food booth that is open 24/7. Walgreens, radio shack, McDonalds, and others are just across the plaza. The elevator is very very slow and very small. We used the stairs, only using the elevator to take our luggage up and down, so if you can't handle stairs, ask for a room on the first floor. The area is very safe, police station next door to the hotel and lots of police patrols day and night. We never felt unsafe at any hour. There is a coffee shop in the hotel, did not eat there, just got mourning coffee. We will stay here again on our next trip to San Juan.

We stayed at the HoJo Plaza de Armas for one night last year pre-cruise. We booked it based upon price which was roughly $100 per night. As the previous poster stated. It was clean and staff were curteous. It is not a resort by any means though and I think that might be where the bad reviews stem from is when people expect it to be more than it is.

The phone wasn't working (wires were pulled out of wall) in my sister's and BIL's room but since my husband is a phone guy buy profession we fixed that in a flash rather than calling downstairs! :)

We booked 2 balcony rooms which was very nice to watch the buzz down on the square! These rooms are bigger than the interior rooms too.

The elevater was fun and quirky! It literally fit 2 women and 2 suitcases stacked on each other! We ate in the little coffee shop for breakfast and it was good food but very basic.

The BEST part of the whole stay was that there was immediate access to a Wendy's, Starbucks (the last one I had for a week) and a Walgreen's right on the square!

Oh yeah, it's one block off Calle Christo which is where the outlet store are (Coach, Burbery, etc)!

We almost booked the HoJo again for next month but decided to try another quirky mom and pop hotel instead. We are staying at the Hotel Casablanca next month. I hope we don't regret it!

We almost booked the HoJo again for next month but decided to try another quirky mom and pop hotel instead. We are staying at the Hotel Casablanca next month. I hope we don't regret it!

That's funny because we have booked the Casablanca for February and have considered changing to the HOJO (or somewhere else), based on some sketchy reviews of the Casablanca. Be sure to post your experiences at the Casablanca so we can decide which would be better.

I've stayed at the HOJO's twice in OSJ. The interior is a mixture of clean and modern in an old historic building. I'm partial to the front rooms that have balconies overlooking the Plaza. My sister and I slept with the balcony doors open both times. I guess the noise might bother some-but not me. I've read the other rooms don't have windows. The hotel is in a fabulous location-within walking distance of just about everything.

There are really no frills here- but it works for me

King suite room:

DSC02499.jpg

same room- door to balcony

DSC02496.jpg

view of water from balcony:

DSC02500.jpg

view of Plaza from blacony:

DSC02501.jpg

My sis & BIL have stayed there before, and they and my DH & I have booked it for 2 days prior to our B2B in April. We just got inside rooms because we are basically there to shower and sleep. I love the fact that we are right on the plaza and there is so much to do around us. We paid $100 per night through Hotwire.

Love the pics that are posted! I am so excited to get back to San Juan--it's been 3 yrs!!

Why would anyone admit to being a Packerfan???? Ick... ;)

Greetings from the "good" side of the line :)

Thanks for the hotel information. I am also looking for someplace cheap in January, since we don't get in until 10 at night, all we need is someplace clean with a bed!!

#1packerfan??? I think not. I hate to tell you this, but I happen to be the number 1 Packer fan...I even have that name as part of my e-mail address. ;)

But thanks for the hotel info.

I think there are probably alot of us #1 fans!! My whole computer desk at home is all Packer stuff. My DH hates football, I am the one glued to the TV every week watching any games I get. I can't wait for the season to start tomorrow night, of course, hopefully, it goes the way I want it to.:)

That's funny because we have booked the Casablanca for February and have considered changing to the HOJO (or somewhere else), based on some sketchy reviews of the Casablanca. Be sure to post your experiences at the Casablanca so we can decide which would be better.

Will do!

Did you see the pics on tripadvisor for the Casablanca with the bath tubs on the roof?? :eek:

LOL.....now THAT'S worth the price of admission alone! I do believe a pic of us in the tub will become my new avatar...:p

Actually All the pics I have seen of that hotel have been very nice....including the tubs!

The Packers can't be too bad since the Viqueens take a lot of our has-beens...:p...including the latest washed up diva/drama queen.

OMG!!! I know...I can't STAND him. My husband is all pumped about it, and I threatened to boycott the Vikes till he's gone. But at least we don't wear wedges of cheese on our heads as hats :D

Thank you for all the info. I think this is the place that we are going to stay. We really only need a place to sleep since we are going to be in San Juan for less then 24 hours but we want to be able to walk around some. Thanks for the pictures also.

To the Vike and Packer fans, while your two teams talk about who is going to win the division Da Bears will walk up behind both and take it (ok one can hope right).

Has anyone stayed here? We are looking for an inexpensive place to stay and we would like to stay in Old San Juan in order to be able to walk around. I've some reviews and for the most part they are decent. Anyone on here stayed there and if so what were your thoughts and if anyone has some pictures that would be great since I'm tired of looking at the same 6 that the web sites put up.

Hello Neighbor,

We just booked this hotel a month ago for our February cruise. I got the hotel for $100 + tax on Hotels.com. I booked because of the recommendations from previous guests. We have stayed in OSJ before and know that the location of this hotel can't be beat. I think as long as we keep our expectations average we will be alright.

• 1 month later...
Is this hotel close enough to walk to the port with all your bags?

It's about six blocks (downhill) to the pier. You can walk it, but remember that the streets and sidewalks are very narrow. When we were there in Feb. of this year there was some construction being down on some of the streets. We took a taxi, something like $8 for the six of us. They dropped us off right in front of the Victory, gave our luggage to the porters, and away we went, around the lines with people checking in thier own luggage.

Archived