French transit strikes making me nervous

djaustin

We're flying into Nice, France Nov 8th getting on a cruise ship Nov 11th out of Savona, Italy. Our plans are to hop a train to Savona early morning of the cruise. France and London are just completing a 4 day strike with all areas of transit involved at some point. We do still have a few weeks to go but with all the unhappy workers in Europe I am getting a little nervous that my time frame could be selected for one of their strikes. Any suggestions if this should indeed happen? :confused:

It's only 30 miles to the Italian border (and 40 to the first town of any size, Ventimiglia). worst case you could rent a car and drive to Savona or hire a car or taxi to take you across the border and catch an Italian train.

Well, you are dealing with about 100 miles between Nice and Savona and there is no reason to expect a strike. Keep in mind that most of the strikes are annouced well in advance. Since you have chosen to take the train the day of your cruise (we never like this kind of planning) this limits your options. But, its always a good idea to have a Plan B in mind. In this case one possible Plan B would be to rent a car and drive (its only about 2 hours) but you would pay a big penalty for a one-way rental between France and Italy.

Hank

Archived