Distance From Cherbourg to Nomandy Beaches/Cemetery

Sascol

Can anyone advise us of the distance between the cruise port in Cherbourg and the Normandy beaches/cemetery? Also, are there any shuttle or taxi service at the port that would bring us there and would we need to schedule that in advance?

Thanks in advance.

Can anyone advise us of the distance between the cruise port in Cherbourg and the Normandy beaches/cemetery? Also, are there any shuttle or taxi service at the port that would bring us there and would we need to schedule that in advance?

Thanks in advance.

About 50 miles, one hour, mainly by the fast A13 highway to the American Cemetery, overlooking Omaha Beach, near Colleville-sur-mer, about 2 miles east of where googlemaps :rolleyes: puts it. You may then want to slot in Arromanches, just a little further east, before meandering back via other sites & museums such as Pointe du Hoc, the German Cemetery at La Cambe, Utah Beach & Ste Maire-Eglise. You probably wouldn't fit in even just the ones I've mentioned in a very full day, so research & decide in advance which sites to visit.

I've not cruised into Cherbourg, but you have the options of self-drive car rental (easy driving/navigation, but difficult to arrange a car for a sunday), or a tour van (expensive, but reasonable if shared - have you checked your roll-call?), both of which of course need to be pre-booked - and in good time.

Picking up a taxi at the port? I don't know if there are plenty or what they'd cost. Unless anyone comes up with reassurance I'd be inclined not to wing-it.

You'll also have the option of a ship's tour. Not my style, but each to their own.

You cannot do it by public transport. The only option is a train to Bayeux, then a taxi. Wasteful of time & restrictive, thus resulting in poor value.

Be prepared for a busy and, for some, an emotional day.

John Bull

Archived