Dream, Glory, Legend, or Valor?

outdoorlady79

So I'm trying to plam my first cruise and have pretty much narrowed it down to Carnival and the week of March 5th as it coincides with my spring break from grad school (earlier than all the other schools around here, hoping it's still a bit early for most schools to be on break). I'm 30, DH is 47, no children will be accompanying us. We know we want to see some ruins but beyond that haven't delved to much into shore excursions yet. Not saying it's the most important thing but we both like our food a little too much too (I'm not big on seafood)

All of these ships leave either March 5th or 6th and sail to Grand Cayman, Roatan Honduras, Belize, and Cozumel except for the Dream which swaps Costa Maya for Grand Cayman.

I have read a bunch of reviews and will continue to do so but I'd like to here from people who have sailed these ships (preferably more than one of the ships) and hear what they most/least liked about the ship or why they would pick one ship over the other. I had sort of ruled out Valor after reading that supposedly the flow through the main floors wasn't that great (either had to go through smoky areas to get from one end to the other or had to take elevators to bypass areas- think I read that in a Frommer's or Fodor's book) but after reading a few more reviews it's back in the list of possibilities.

Thanks for any feedback provided, I hope to book within the next week so.

You are taking some reviews way to seriously.

All of them are excellent ways to go.

Would go with combo best price and itinerary you like.

Yes I might well be taking this pretty seriously, it's taken me 5 years to convince DH to try a cruise and I'm afraid if it isn't right and very enjoyable for him then he won't be willing to try another one.

Yes I might well be taking this pretty seriously, it's taken me 5 years to convince DH to try a cruise and I'm afraid if it isn't right and very enjoyable for him then he won't be willing to try another one.

It took me 15 years so I understand. Now he loves it!! I would go with best price!

It really depends on how your DH feels about crowds.

I have been on both the Conquest & the Liberty which are sister ships to both the Glory & Valor being identical in layout, We found this class of ship to be very congested at night...all the clubs, piano bar, lounges are stuffed into one general area at the front of the ship the layout really can be overcrowded. Other than that the ships pool area with the stadium sitting allowed for less crowding.

We're giving the Legend a try this time I have read alot of really good reviews on the Spirit class ships being better layout with alot better flow of traffic. The passenger ship size ratio works out better for our lifestyle...just my 2 cents good luck!:)

So I'm trying to plam my first cruise and have pretty much narrowed it down to Carnival and the week of March 5th as it coincides with my spring break from grad school (earlier than all the other schools around here, hoping it's still a bit early for most schools to be on break). I'm 30, DH is 47, no children will be accompanying us. We know we want to see some ruins but beyond that haven't delved to much into shore excursions yet. Not saying it's the most important thing but we both like our food a little too much too (I'm not big on seafood)

All of these ships leave either March 5th or 6th and sail to Grand Cayman, Roatan Honduras, Belize, and Cozumel except for the Dream which swaps Costa Maya for Grand Cayman.

I have read a bunch of reviews and will continue to do so but I'd like to here from people who have sailed these ships (preferably more than one of the ships) and hear what they most/least liked about the ship or why they would pick one ship over the other. I had sort of ruled out Valor after reading that supposedly the flow through the main floors wasn't that great (either had to go through smoky areas to get from one end to the other or had to take elevators to bypass areas- think I read that in a Frommer's or Fodor's book) but after reading a few more reviews it's back in the list of possibilities.

Thanks for any feedback provided, I hope to book within the next week so.

Ill be sailing on the Valor in April, so I cant talk about the big ships. I have only been on the medium class.

But talking about destinations, I have been all over Mexico, Key west, Nassau, etc etc...

If Ruins are your thing and you want to see them, I would base my cruise on that... Every ship I have been on has been great. All are unique in the decor area, but otherwise, they are all great. So I would base the cruise on destinations.

Does Costa Maya have ruins? If so that may be your best bet. Im pretty certain Grand Cayman, Belize, and Roatan do not. Cozumel has some sort of ruins shore excursion, but I do not remember much about it. (I didnt do it) ....

The last piece of advice I can give is, do not take the reviews so seriously, because, one persons observations may not be your own, even if you see the same exact thing. Also, sometimes, some people just have a bad experience and let it ruin the whole vacation. When that happens, the room stewards could dance and lay a golden egg, and they wouldnt like it. Not anyone I have seen on here, just my personal observation. Some of the best reviews have lots of pictures. That way you can see the ship, the destinations, and make your own judgment call,

All in all take everything I say with a grain of sea salt. Im just a rambling pre cruiser... Bored and waiting for single digits to show up.:D

Does Costa Maya have ruins? If so that may be your best bet. Im pretty certain Grand Cayman, Belize, and Roatan do not. Cozumel has some sort of ruins shore excursion, but I do not remember much about it. (I didnt do it) ....

Costa Maya, Belize and Cozumel all have ruin excursions.

OP I was doing similar research for my family's spring break cruise at the end of March. We ended up chosing based on price and number of ships in port. Good luck with your decision! I'm sure your sweetie will love cruising and you'll have a great time! :)

I'm not sure where the Valor, Dream or Glory depart from (I'm booked on the Legend out of Tampa), but I assume you are flying to the departure city. Have you checked airfare? That would be a factor in my decision since I have to fly to cruise, especially if I needed airfare for two people.

Just my opinion, but I think I would go with a mid-size ship for your husbands first cruise. I usually cruise with a family group, 5-12 of us. We prefer the mid-size ships. The bigger ones are nice and have lots of things... but that = more people and more walking from location to location on board. That may be overwhelming(?) to a first time cruiser, thinking more about the number of fellow passengers than the walking distances. BUT... only you would know what types of things would be problematic for him.

I would look at airfare first since the Dream is out of Port Canaveral (Orlando) and the others out of Miami. Also, look at FLL flights since they are usually cheaper than MIA. The week of March 5th will be the beginning of spring break. Be prepared...it will be busy and hotels, etc., pre-post are at peak rates. We typically cruise in March...we know it will be busy and full of spring breakers in addition to peak season. I assume most people know this but just wanted to mention it to be sure. In terms of ships, they are all pretty much the same...some newer than others. Itinerary would be a factor for me but know it's not for others.

We need the legend in 2009 and the Valor this past July. My husband and I both agree we liked the decor better on the Legend and the food and service was just a step better as well. Plus the sail from Tampa was awesome I can think of the name of the bridge you will sail under but it's amazing....

The Valor was nice but in deciding on the two I would choose the Legend hands down!

I've done 'em all, and any of them will be a winner. Personally, I prefer "Legend", then Glory or Valor, and last Dream. I just prefer the slightly smaller ships, with fewer people, and for what I do when aboard, "Legend" works.

Whatever you decide, I have no doubt that you'll have a GREAT cruise.

"SKY"

Ill be sailing on the Valor in April, so I cant talk about the big ships. I have only been on the medium class.

But talking about destinations, I have been all over Mexico, Key west, Nassau, etc etc...

If Ruins are your thing and you want to see them, I would base my cruise on that... Every ship I have been on has been great. All are unique in the decor area, but otherwise, they are all great. So I would base the cruise on destinations.

The last piece of advice I can give is, do not take the reviews so seriously, because, one persons observations may not be your own, even if you see the same exact thing. Also, sometimes, some people just have a bad experience and let it ruin the whole vacation. When that happens, the room stewards could dance and lay a golden egg, and they wouldnt like it. Not anyone I have seen on here, just my personal observation. Some of the best reviews have lots of pictures. That way you can see the ship, the destinations, and make your own judgment call,

All in all take everything I say with a grain of sea salt. Im just a rambling pre cruiser... Bored and waiting for single digits to show up.:D

Cozumel has a tour to the ruins of Tulum, which is unigue as the only Mayan ruins on the coast i think. Cozumel also has a tour to another site, don't know the name. i have been to Tulum and it was neat, but i prefer the ruins in Belize. in Belize you can go to Altun Ha (sp?). in my opinion those ruins are much better. more to see and you can climb to the top of several.

as far as picking a ship i personally would do one that leaves on Sunday. this is assuming that you will not be able to fly out on Friday due to school. i think most people would agree that you want to fly to port a day early

Cozumel has a tour to the ruins of Tulum, which is unigue as the only Mayan ruins on the coast i think. Cozumel also has a tour to another site, don't know the name. i have been to Tulum and it was neat, but i prefer the ruins in Belize. in Belize you can go to Altun Ha (sp?). in my opinion those ruins are much better. more to see and you can climb to the top of several.

as far as picking a ship i personally would do one that leaves on Sunday. this is assuming that you will not be able to fly out on Friday due to school. i think most people would agree that you want to fly to port a day early

I can fly out Friday as long as I make sure my final is complete before I leave, not a problem in the least.

Right now I'm thinking Glory (fewer ships in each port based on cruisett.com info) or Legend based on the comments here. We're not huge crowd people so I think I'll stay away from the Dream for this one which will visit Cozumel when six ships are in port.

I haven't cruised yet but I recently made the same decision you are debating so I will put in my 2 cents. DH and I were deciding between the Legend out of Tampa or the Dream out of Port Canaveral (Orlando). We chose the Legend becuase Grand Cayman seems like a great port and friends who have been there all want to go back. Costa Maya on the other hand seemed like a Carnival made port (ie added a dock to a fishing village, some gift shops appear and now you have a port of call).

Also, the Legend was $140 dollars cheaper for comparable rooms. To me, that is a really nice excursion. While the spa features on the Dream sounded great I'm couldn't justify spending more just to have the opportunity to use the spa (which I probably wouldn't since I'm cheap). So for us, better ports on a nearly identical travel path (Roatan and Belize are why we were debating either itenerary) and cheaper rates sealed the deal.

Archived