How much cash is required to put on S&S card?

taliacamp

Hi all..after reading some posts I'm considering using cash rather than a debit card to avoid the whole "hold" issue. We are going on a seven night on the Glory. How much is required to put down? My husband doesn't drink at all and I drink very little so we're not big spenders on the ship. On our last cruise 2 years ago we did use a debit card but it was only a four night and I don't recall having any issues with holds but I'd rather avoid it all together. Thanks in advance!:)

There is no 'required' amount... only recommendations...

From Carnival:

For cash accounts, the guest must deposit money at the Guest Services Desk on the first day of the cruise.

The following minimum cash deposits (or credit card holds) are recommended:

2 - 4 day cruise: $100 per person

5 - 8 day cruise: $200 per person

9 day or longer: $350 per person

:)

[/color][/size][/font]

There is no set amount you have to give them. I would always put 100 down first and then when it got close I'd put more money down. You can monitor it yourself, but if you get to a negative amount they will slip a statement under your cabin door!

We each put $200.00 down when we got onboard. A few days later my DBF ordered a bucket of beer from the lido deck bar and instead of the S&S normal receipt you get, he got a notification that we were out of monies on his account. We went down to the Purser's desk and paid for the negative balance and then put an additional $100 on each of our cards.

I really wish they had the folios on the TV like the have on Triumph on the Fantasy. That made it so much easier to keep track of.

Remember that tips are automatically put on your shipboard account, so be sure to cover that.

Another question: Can I go onto the CCL website, give myself an OBC (say of $300) and NOT have to put a credit card on file or deposit more cash when I board?

Remember that tips are automatically put on your shipboard account, so be sure to cover that.

Another question: Can I go onto the CCL website, give myself an OBC (say of $300) and NOT have to put a credit card on file or deposit more cash when I board?

You can actually pay your tips with your cruise ahead of time. That's what we did so we don't have to worry about it

Yes, you can. Here's a link:

http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/AddToCart.aspx?cat=giftcertificates&pid=FSD

Put your booking number in the address block to make sure the money is added as OBC.

Alternatively, you can call the Bon Voyage Department at 800-906-7603 and add money, up to 14 days prior to your departure. Ask that they send you a confirming email. Print it and take it along with you in the event something falls through the cracks...

Put your booking number in the address block to make sure the money is added as OBC.

Alternatively, you can call the Bon Voyage Department at 800-906-7603 and add money, up to 14 days prior to your departure. Ask that they send you a confirming email. Print it and take it along with you in the event something falls through the cracks...

Great, thanks for the info!!

• 2 weeks later...

If it is used as an OBC, can you use it to pay for tips, gambling, booze and get a refund if you don't use it all?

I guess the minimum would be $70, because that is the amount they will charge you automatically for a week's gratuity. So that would leave you with zero on the card, which is adequate for most people if all you need to do with the card is open your cabin door and get on and off the ship.

Add to that $70 anything you think you will spend onboard. That's totally up to you. No one can decide what you spend your money on but you!

Cash is King!

I always put $500.00 down on my acct. and retrive what's left the last night of the cruise.

I do the same thing...$500 cash on my S&S. Plus I always pre-pay the gratuities so the $500 is pure spending money. If I go over that amount then I make it up with more cash. Saves a lot of grief. :D

Archived