Need help with Mobile hotel & parking

abbyndrewmom

Hi,

I am trying to find a hotel where we can stay the night before our cruise and leave our car. So far I have got a good quote from the Ashbury Hotel and Suites. I realize it is not very close to the port but it is close to the airport (MIL & FIL are flying in) and shopping. However I have read some BAD reviews about this hotel.

I checked with the Radisson but they didn't know what I was talking about with the parking.

The Holiday Inn Express downtown also gave me a good rate and said it was $5.00 a day to park there.

The Holiday Inn Bellingham also said they did not have a parking package.

I am going to try the Best Western Battleship as Dh really wants to see the ship and he maybe be able to do that Monday Morning before the cruise.

Any other suggestions, any opinions on the Ashbury Hotel & suites.

Also does anyone know anything about the Azela festival.

Thanks,

Allison

The Radisson has an attached parking deck. I'm pretty sure it is a public parking deck. I had to park there last year while when I was staying next door at the Lafayette Plaza (don't stay there :p )...my hotels parking was full. I'm sure you could leave your car there. The Riverview Plaza Hotel also has an attached public parking deck attached. It just right down the street from the terminal. I stayed there earlier this month for a seminar. It's ok...better than the Lafayette. I think parking is $10 a day. If you stay here eat lunch at the Little Kitchen Restaurant just around the corner on Canal Street. Its cafeteria style serving but they have the BEST fried chicken!

The Festival of Flowers will be held March 10-13. It's a wonderful festival, held on the campus of Spring Hill College. There will be literally thousands of blooming plants, garden displays, shopping, cafes, and seminars. As far as an azalea festival, don't know about that, but I'm sure there will be mega azaleas in bloom all around Mobile in March....and they are spectacular!

Lots of hotels located near the Port of Mobile in the downtown area; however, the airport is completely across the city from the port. If the Holiday Inn Express will let you park for $5 per day day while you're on the cruise, I'd consider that. Will they comp shuttle you to the pier? Port parking is $10 per day.

Also, if you stay at HI Express, you'll be closer to the battleship. (Your DH would LOVE the battleship, I'm sure.)

Forgot to mention, you might like to try an old Mobile tradition - Wintzell's Oyster House...a local favorite. I believe there are three locations now. BEST oysters and lots of other southern favorites.

Also - Hope y'all enjoy your holiday on the Holiday - my favorite ship!:)

Thanks Cotton & War Eagle,

I knew you would come through with good information!!! Any opinion on the Best Western Battleship.

Cotton, I will take your recommendation for the restaurant that was going to be one of my next questions. Can you give me an idea of what the weather maybe like when we are there mid March.

Thanks again,

Allison

Abby, just the morning may not be enough time to see the battleship. I've taken my boys there when they were little and we spent all day on the ship and never even went into the aircraft pavilion. If you don't make it onto the battleship you can see it in the movie Under Seige with Steven Sagal. They filmed it on board. Didn't take too long to see the submarine though. If you're claustrophobic stay outta the sub!!! Check out the Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit at the Exploreum if it's not sold out. Really hard to get into that one.

Hi,

We booked at the Radisson Admiral Semmes online and got a park and cruise rate of $99. We are spending the night there on Wed 2/23. It does include breakfast and shuttle to and from the terminal. (We are driving down from Bham). Also would like to hear from anyone else that might be taking this cruise (2/24 for 4 nights on the Holiday)

Lee & Brenda Allen

Archived