Safety or Smuggling?

CDorsey1981

I can not understand WHY people create posts about smuggling alcohol and the ports they were able to smuggle it into. If anyone recalls the plot 4 years ago with terrorists planning to destroy airplanes with liquid explosives which is why there is a liquid ban for carry on luggage on airplanes. WHY would ANYONE want to give terrorists an idea of how to smuggle liquids onto a cruise ship and the places they've done it at? Maybe im being overly dramatic but I just had to get that off my chest. Does anyone feel the same way I do? Let the flames begin, im ready.

apples and oranges.

Airplane: An airplane is pressurized and flying at altitude. If one has direct access to even a small bomb (ie: liquids in their CARRY-ON luggage) they can cause an explosion that will bring down the plane and kill everyone on board, not to mention the carnage on the ground if it falls to a populated area. In flight decompression and fire on board are deadly.

Cruise ship: A steel hull ship, floating on water with life boats. Yes, if there is a powerfull enough explosion it might sink eventually but will not kill everyone on board. Decompression is not an issue and while fire is certainly dangerous, you will have 100+ crew members fighting this fire. It will not cause asphyxiation of all on board. Secondly, people on cruises have full access to all their luggage, carry on and checked and are alone to do so in their cabins. It would not be very difficult to cause an explosion on a cruise ship since a terrorsist would not have to "smuggle" anything, just put whatever supplies they need (liquid or otherwise) in their luggage and have it delivered right to their rooms.

Terrorists aren't sitting at home saying "Oh Achmed, If only there was a way for us to get 3 litres of liquid on board, we could blow up the ship..." :p Please tell me you're not naive enough to think they hadn't though of dumping out water bottles and filling them with explosives... if they wanted to...

What is wrong with the cruise line making the "almighty" dollar? I believe that is what they are in business for. To make as much profit as they can. Not to give free rides.

I completely agree. But it is HOW they make money that is at issue, not IF they should make money.

As we all know too well, there are a gazillion ways for the cruise line to make money. My issue is simply an intrusion into personal space, and the notion that if you are a drinker, and you cruise, you must pay dearly for every drop of alcohol.

I am fine with them charging whatever they like for booze at the bar, because I have to choice to buy it or not. I'm not OK with them saying I cannot drink my own booze in the cabin. I'm not OK with the idea that I can only drink if I buy something.

To those who say alcohol is a safety issue, I would simply say to get tough with the people who get drunk, and if they cause any problems, search the cabin, including the safe, and take all alcohol away. Or kick them off the ship.

Archived