How is seating assigned?

Kjsnbrd

I was wondering how seating was assigned on the cruise ships for dinner? It is both my boyfriend and I, both in our ealy twenties. While I am very sociable he is not. I would not mind sitting with another couple or two in our age group however, it may be a bit awkward to be seated with a family or an older couple. I have never seen any complaints about seating assignments and was curios to see if there was a technique that carnival uses. :D - Sorry if this offends anybody- but being that my other half is a lot more quite than I, I would like to avoid an awkward situation. Thanks!

From what I have seen, families are usually seated with families with age groups defined.

Parents seem to be grouped with people their age as well.

Young adults are usually seated with others their age.. etc, etc. :)

I would guess that their computer system is able to do a lot of the sorting, and tables are assigned from this point. As always, if you are not happy with your pre-assigned table or table-mates, you can always ask to have it changed.. :D

More familes and older couples book early seating than late. You might end up getting seating with singles/couples at a large table or maybe a smaller table with another couple, just hard to say. If you dont like your assignment feel free to ask for a change and the Maitre D' will do the best to accomodate you.

My DH and I were on the Paradise in the Western Caribbean last March. We were both 21 at the time and booked the late seating. We were sat with 3 other couples (all dating, we were the only married ones) in their 20's and 30's. We had an awesome time and hung out with them all over the ship and in Cozumel. My husband is fairly quiet and doesn't like to small talk (aka BS) but being on a cruise, he was more talkative than usual. By the end of the week you get more comfortable with those people and I think you both will have fun with your tablemates. Second seating is a better chance of similar tablemates, though.

Have fun!

On Holland America, they assigne seating according to your cabin catagory.And they take into account age and family in that catagory.Most cruise lines do this.Next time you are seated at a large table you will find most of your table mates have the same outside ,balcony or inside cabin you have.

How and when do you request a private booth or table? I'll be with my dad and stepmom, and none of us want to sit with strangers. We'd much rather have a nice relaxing meal as a family. Do we ask the maitre de when the dining room opens, or do we check in at some desk when we first board the ship? (First time cruiser here)

On Holland America, they assigne seating according to your cabin catagory.And they take into account age and family in that catagory.Most cruise lines do this.Next time you are seated at a large table you will find most of your table mates have the same outside ,balcony or inside cabin you have.

Hmm, that has never been the case at the tables I have sat at, there has been a cross section of ages and cabin categories. I think the primary factor with carnival is party sizes. They will do their best to put families together and singles together.

How and when do you request a private booth or table? I'll be with my dad and stepmom, and none of us want to sit with strangers. We'd much rather have a nice relaxing meal as a family. Do we ask the maitre de when the dining room opens, or do we check in at some desk when we first board the ship? (First time cruiser here)

When you get you board and get your sail and sign card it will have your dining assignment(dining room,table number and time) embossed on the front. There is usually a time set aside,which will be mentioned in your capers, to see the Maitre D to request changes. Normally if they can make a change for you, it might not be in effect until the second night.

Archived