Panorama shot issue

R. Wethereyet

My daughter uses a Fuji Finepix S1800 for her photography. She was experimenting with the panorama mode and most of the time it worked well ...

But there were times when the clouds turned PINK while the rest of the photo seemed to be okay!!!??

4984302235_bc385ceb95.jpg

The next shot turned out fine ...

4984902966_ec39bd3e5c.jpg

Both shots were set to "custom white balance and normal saturation" I am pretty sure she wouldn't have changed the settings between the 2 photos. Has anyone else run into this issue? Any suggestions on what may have caused it ... and how to prevent it from happening in the future?

I don't think the problem is with the Panorama Mode.

I think the camera is highlighting the extremely bright areas in the photo. Certain parts of the clouds in the photo are much much brighter than the rest of the photo. These extremely bright areas can also be known as "blown-out highlights."

The "pink" areas don't appear in the 2nd photo because she was taking a different photo, where darker clouds appeared above the scene.

Page 107 and 115 of your camera's user manual (link) show that white or purple "smears" may appear in the photo if you've got a very bright object in the scene. Apparently, these "smears" aren't recorded in the photographs, but may appear in your videos. I wonder if your camera considers Panorama Mode similar to taking a video.

Archived