Suggestions on Snorkeling Gear?

pinkmaija

I will highly recommend some fins that we just read about a few weeks ago. They are called AlphaFins and are actually swim training fins. I'm pretty sure they will never work for diving, but we think they are fine for snorkeling.

Bought a pair at our local chain sporting goods store and tried them out at the beach yesterday. They are VERY light and will weight almost nothing in your luggage or when carrying around in port before or after your snorkeling time (double bonus points!). They cost $25 a pair at our local shop, comparable to any inexpensive snorkel fins. They are extremely comfortable and feel a bit like the crocs shoes, only a little softer. They float and have some grooves in them that make you just easily glide through the water with minimal effort.

Go to a local dive shop and try the mask and fins on. A good fitting mask makes all the difference between an enjoyable day snorkeling and a miserable day snorkeling.

Also wearing a pair of ankle length socks will help prevent blisters when snorkeling.

At least in my area dive shop prices are competitive with what you find online and you have the benefit of a knowledgeable sales person to answer all your questions and insure you are getting into properly fitted gear.

hard answer here

if you are going to buy cheap gear that undoubtedly won't fit well, you may as well use the rented/loaned stuff provided by the excusions.

If you want to buy crud gear so as to not worry about the loaned gear cleaning: well, that is your choice

if you plan to use the gear repeatedly it is worth the effort and cost to buy good stuff. I've been using the same pair of fins for 35 years - replacing only the heel straps (prob'ly 5 times now) and just replaced my dive boots after 25 years.

hard meaning I pull no punches . . .

Another option is to buy some decent gear, and if you won't be using it again, sell it on ebay when you get home.

Of course, not many people want to buy a used snorkel, but, even there, a replacement mouthpiece is available cheap on a decent quality snorkel.

Archived