Best snorkeling / zip line bet?

marcaroh

We're cruising to St. Croix, St. Kitts, Grenada, Dominica and Tobago in December '10. What's the best snorkeling opportunity? We'll probably only want to snorkel in one of them (maybe two) and looking at the excursions, there doesn't seem to be a clear "best" choice. Also, DW has expressed a keen interest in zip lining and we could use some help with that too...

Anyone have any opinions or advice?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
We're cruising to St. Croix, St. Kitts, Grenada, Dominica and Tobago in December '10. What's the best snorkeling opportunity? We'll probably only want to snorkel in one of them (maybe two) and looking at the excursions, there doesn't seem to be a clear "best" choice. Also, DW has expressed a keen interest in zip lining and we could use some help with that too...

Anyone have any opinions or advice?

You may have already decided what you're doing but in case you haven't, I'll give my opinion. I've snorkeled at all these islands. (You must be sailing on the Summit) Don't bother trying to snorkel in Grenada based on the other places you'll be visiting. I've had good luck snorkeling in St. Kitts, Dominica, St. Croix and Tobago. Of course, the ocean varies from day to day but I found the water very clear in all 4 place. Try Speedy4Charters in St. Kitts. Go to Champagne Bay in Dominica.

Never ziplined so I'm no help there.

• 2 weeks later...

We've been to Champagne Bay twice in the past two years and snorkelling was great both times, but the water was rough last week and a couple people got scraped on the rocks when they were getting in and out of the water. As with most snorkel sites, you are never guaranteed as to what you'll find when you get there. The same place can be great or poor from one week to the next depending on the weather, tides, etc.

Monika

Yes--the water was rough at the Champagne Reef when we were there on the 17th. Oh well something to go back for.

We did Cane Bay in St Croix, no snorkeling in Grenanda, and snorkeled at Reggae Beach at the end of our tour in St Kitt's. And actually Reggae beach was the best. I enjoyed Cane Bay--but the area that had the best snorkeling was really shallow when we were there. Saw a small sea turtle as we went in. At Reggae we snorkeled along the rocks at the far left of the beach--and there was some great coral, fish, shells, etc. My niece saw several starfish. I saw three lobsters grouped together. Too bad I'd already had my lunch. :)

Archived