Can we hire a Donkey Cart once we are in the Walled City?

Duck Duck Cruise

We have mapped out several places we want to see in the Walled City and only have a few hours to do so. Given the distance from Los Bovidas shops to the University which is about a mile I would need some sort of transportation. Our other stops are all within 2 blocks from each other so those would be no problem to get to.

We are having a taxi take us to the Dungeon Shops first thing, I have read that once inside the Walled city that you must walk. Although, I have seen cars in photos people have taken. Confused? Yes!

Thanks,

Lin

You can take a taxi in the walled city. No problem, although some roads are one way and some might be closed for special activities. But don't worry, taxi is your best option if you don't want to walk. Don't pay more than 3,000 to 4,000 pesos for the ride (about $2 USD).

Donkey carts are not available to rent but you can also go on a horse and carriage ride. These rides are more of a stroll throuhg one part of the walled city and the guide giving you info as you pass each place.

• 4 weeks later...
You can take a taxi in the walled city. No problem, although some roads are one way and some might be closed for special activities. But don't worry, taxi is your best option if you don't want to walk. Don't pay more than 3,000 to 4,000 pesos for the ride (about $2 USD).

Donkey carts are not available to rent but you can also go on a horse and carriage ride. These rides are more of a stroll throuhg one part of the walled city and the guide giving you info as you pass each place.

I'm just curious as to whether the taxi price is per person or per ride.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for all your help re this fabulous city! We were there last year at Xmas time and loved it! This Xmas we would like to take the carriage ride..but not booked with Princess....can you tell me where we would go to find the "start" place for the carriage ride? Thank you! LuAnn

Thank you for all your help re this fabulous city! We were there last year at Xmas time and loved it! This Xmas we would like to take the carriage ride..but not booked with Princess....can you tell me where we would go to find the "start" place for the carriage ride? Thank you! LuAnn

They start the tours there in the plaza in front of the gold museum and the inquisition museum. I don't recall the name of that plaza right at the moment. Also, since you will be right there, if you didn't check out the gold museum last time, be sure to do so. It is free. It won't take long, it has a small but nice collection.

They start the tours there in the plaza in front of the gold museum and the inquisition museum. I don't recall the name of that plaza right at the moment. Also, since you will be right there, if you didn't check out the gold museum last time, be sure to do so. It is free. It won't take long, it has a small but nice collection.

We'll head straight there! We did the inquisition museum last time (very scary!!) and will take in the gold one this time...I'm sure it will be less gruesome!! LuAnn

• 2 weeks later...

The heart of Cartagena's walled city, the area right around Plaza Bolivar (where Gold Museum and Palace of Inquisition are located) and the area from Plaza Santo Domingo to the walls at the Clock Tower and up to the Church of San Pedro Claver is closed to vehicular traffic on cruise ship days. So if you are going to see those key parts of the Old City you need to park the vehicle and walk in and around. The whole area is not more than three or four blocks square that is closed off.

There is a simple map at

http://www.destinationcartagena.com/get_there.html?q=cartagena_map.html

The port-vetted taxi drivers in blue shirts will want a min of $10-15 per car to take you into the Old City. The minimum cab fare (per car) for cabs on the street (not the cabbies working in the port) is currently 5,000 Pesos. From the Port to the Old City may be something like 7,000 for locals. Current exchange rate: 1800-1900 Pesos to the Dollar

Archived