*Alaska cruises-is it too cold to enjoy the pool deck etc? What do you do?

3redheads

I've never been on a cruise which didn't involve the Caribbean and warm weather. Would LOVE to cruise Alaska, but what the heck do you do in the off time?

While cruising the Caribbean, we usually sit on the pool deck and people watch or take in the sun. Is it warm enough for the pools?

I guess I'm imagining it being so cold that everyone stays inside. A big draw of a cruise is enjoying the outside areas.

Hello!

Personally I guess it would depend on what your likes and dislikes are.. I have been on 2 cruises in Alaska and loved them.. To be able to see whales and the scenery cruising the inside passage is so amazing. Most of the time you have more to look at than open water, (not that I don't enjoy that also!).. If it does happen to be chilly just bundle up and enjoy the vast beauty that is Alaska. There is no place quite like it..

You DO spend time on deck...but NOT lying by the pool. It's usually much too chilly for that.

What you spend time doing..dressed appropriately..is whale watching, bird watching, glacier watching (glaciers are, after all, one of the main attractions of Alaska, and are great walls of ice...), looking for other sea creatures (pointed out by the naturalist(s) that are usually on board), enjoying the scenery going by...quite unlike the Caribbean, for sure...

and Alaskan cruises are pretty port-intensive, so except for those days specifically set aside to be where most of the larger glaciers are, you're off the ship and on shore.

There really is more to cruising than just lying by the pool..something I've never done in all the cruises I've been on..and don't intend to do on my next cruise, for sure, where we'll be above the arctic circle.

When I first brought up an Alaskan cruise, my wife about crooked!! All of our crusies involved the caribbean and the weather you expect in the caribbean, so why would we want to go way up there?! Since we live in FL and have caribbean weather year round, I wanted to see the Last Frontier so we flew to Seattle and cruised to Alaska. I can tell you that it was without a doubt the best cruise we have ever been on to date!

We spent time in the hot tubs, watched the whales, saw seals and eagles fight over fish, witnessed ice falling in the fijords, and sat on our balcony in amazement that a place like Alaska existed.

I know I got off the OP's original question, but anytime I get the chance to rave about Alaska I do so. We are already planning a return trip out there. Its what Floridians do I guess :-)

im with Trooper about his post. I told my wife I wanted to do Alaska and she about flipped. We have always done Caribbean destinations where its nice and warm and we can enjoy scuba diving and taking in a little sun. We live in AZ where it is currently 108 degrees so I guess the thought of Alaskas cold weather freaked her out. A year of talking to her about it and she said shes game to do it :) So I am also looking to book Alaska now.

I went TO Alaska during the month of July a couple of years ago. The weather was spring-like. A few kids were in the outdoor pool, but I don't even go in when on a Caribbean cruise. My friend & I sat on the deck chairs wearing capris & long sleeved t-shirts. I did pick a ship that had an indoor pool & it was great. People don't equate swimming with Alaska so I had the pool almost all to myself. The indoor hot tub got some use but also was underutilized.

I've never been on a cruise which didn't involve the Caribbean and warm weather. Would LOVE to cruise Alaska, but what the heck do you do in the off time?

While cruising the Caribbean, we usually sit on the pool deck and people watch or take in the sun. Is it warm enough for the pools?

I guess I'm imagining it being so cold that everyone stays inside. A big draw of a cruise is enjoying the outside areas.

We have cruised Alaska twice and like others said, it’s a different cruising experience than warm ports like Caribbean/Mexico. For the warmer ports, you more or less can “veg” by the Lido/pool deck area. For Alaska, you are much more involved in looking at the scenery/wild life. One way to look at it is with Alaska, you look outside of the ship, whereas with Caribbean, you look inside.

You will be amazed how everyone will all of sudden drop everything and run for the nearest window when there’s some sighting of whales or dolphins along side of the ship. Won’t find that for the Caribbean cruise when people will only move to tan the other side of the body.

If your sailing goes through the inside passage area east of the Vancouver Island, there are many things to see as you sail the narrow channels.

As others have said, the hot tubs are always available. Have seen people using them when it’s 40 degrees outside during glacier viewing. If you are a pool person, look for ships that have indoor pools so you can swim even when the weather is cold outside. We swam in the indoor pool last year on the Alaska cruise.

Alaska July 2005. Took shorts...never wore them. Too cold for the pool. Bundled up most of the time....rainy a lot of the time.

Different than the Carribbean?.....Yes!

Did I miss the Carribbean warmth and sun?.....Yes!

Would I trade the experience for anything?.....NO!

It was breathtaking. Not for every year, but not to be missed.

We cruised Alaska in early May. We could swim one day and it was okay but quite cool. It was pants and long sleeves sort of weather with light jackets. We did not have rain much. On the Alaska cruises as other posters have said there are many other things to do other than swimming.

Archived