Canadian 13 year old need passport on Carnival cruise?

thecarnivalkid

You should not ask any immigration/visa, etc. questions on a chat board.

Requirements for entering by air:

Air Travel

All international visitors regardless of country of origin must present a passport or secure document when entering the United States by air.

It doesn't matter how old the child is, they need a passport. Also, I see from your other posts you are traveling with your younger brother (?). If so, you will need to have a notarized Permission to Travel letter, signed by his legal guardians.

http://www.dhs.gov/files/crossingborders/travelers.shtm

thanks gang, driving though to this cruise, and it's my friends younger brother not mine. have drove into the States from Canada several times by car with the 13 year old and no issues with a birth certificate until he is 16 I am told. just trying to cover any issues that Carnival may have, I'll call them but their site seems to say just call the Consular Office. He will need a passport soon enough anyways but the family is waiting until needed at 16 which makes sense if the 13 age now discounts the need for one until 16, makes sense.

just cleared it up, not needed, off VTG site and verified with phone call:

Children under the age of 16 who are citizens of the U.S. or Canada are exempt from the passport requirement for land and sea border crossings. In lieu of a passport, children are able to use a birth certificate as proof of citizenship for entry into the U.S. by land or by sea. Children entering or re-entering the U.S. by air are required to have a valid passport.

That's interesting because when we travel to Canada you need a passport, or if driving a passport, enhanced driver's license or a passport card. Have you checked the US Immigration to see if you will be allowed into the US without a Canadian passport? BTW, this is the requirement for any US citizen regardless of age, so I'm not sure if the US reciprocates in this matter.

just a short little Key West and Nassau 5 dayer, but again not legally required until age 16, verified over several phone calls, but a good idea anyways. problems could crop up if there was an emergency flight or missed the ship and had to fly back to the ship somewhere as flight is passport mandatory, land or sea travel is not passport mandatory for children under 16.

just a short little Key West and Nassau 5 dayer, but again not legally required until age 16, verified over several phone calls, but a good idea anyways. problems could crop up if there was an emergency flight or missed the ship and had to fly back to the ship somewhere as flight is passport mandatory, land or sea travel is not passport mandatory for children under 16.

Do you have any idea how many posts over many years containing the the phrase "verified by phone calls" have been on this site? Get the Passport! (I know that in Canada they're only good for five years (??) while ours are good for ten years if you're over 16. As I've always advised my fellow Americans, "Get the Passport!!

Archived