Star Clipper beds, staterooms

SoBaycruiser

My husband and I are considering one of the Treasure Island cruises. It would be our first time on a Star Clipper ship. The description of the beds uses the term "double" bed. Is this in the European sense that it accommodates two people or the US description of a shorter narrower bed for two? My husband and I are both tall and like at least an 80 inch length. Also some rooms say fixed double. Does that imply something less desireable? Are there any undesireable Cat 2 rooms? I should mention that we are boaters and so sea sickness isn not a problem. However, I do hate a lot of noise. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!

We've been on the Star Flyer & Royal Clipper. The Double in most cabins will be two twins pushed together...essentially making a queen. Have not had one of the fixed doubles, but my understanding is it is a little smaller than the two twins together would be. But, you don't have to deal with the gap that's between the two twins.

We had a 2 on the Flyer,#330 on the Clipper Deck. Good location just back of the Pursers office with easy access to the Main Deck. The cabin was quiet, but there was something between the wall & outer hull that made a constant vibration that you could feel, but not really hear....maybe a little hum. Don't know what it was and whether it was specific to that cabin or all. Maybe a cable or something. Didn't bother me, but it did my wife a little. Needless to say, I slept on the side of the bed by the wall:D There is a small staircase of 2 or 3 steps just ahead of the cabin, so you are above the Pursers Office & don't really get any noise from there. At the base of the stairway, there is a Cat.3 cabin that appeared to be roughly the same size as the 2. That cabin seems to be popular because it is a little less $'s.

Mike

My husband and I are considering one of the Treasure Island cruises. It would be our first time on a Star Clipper ship. The description of the beds uses the term "double" bed. Is this in the European sense that it accommodates two people or the US description of a shorter narrower bed for two? My husband and I are both tall and like at least an 80 inch length. Also some rooms say fixed double. Does that imply something less desireable? Are there any undesireable Cat 2 rooms? I should mention that we are boaters and so sea sickness isn not a problem. However, I do hate a lot of noise. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!

We sailed Royal Clipper on one of their Caribbean routes in March 2009. We had a Cat 2 cabin, #234, on the Clipper Deck. It was a good size cabin and a very quiet part of the ship. The only possible negative ... one of the tenders they used to ferry passengers ashore while in port was located directly above the cabin. It did make a bit of a racket while being lowered past our cabin in the morning. We are early risers so it didn't bother us at all but may be a problem for those who sleep in every morning.

Beds ... like most cruise ships, the twin beds can be pushed together to create a queen. I think it was pretty close to a standard American queen in length. The outboard bed is fixed while the inboard bed is joined to it. The person that sleeps in the outboard position will crawl off the end or over the other passenger to exit the bed. Cabins listed as having "fixed" beds are located in a portion of the ship where hull shape (or other structure) limits the cabin configuration. I understand these cabins may have the beds stacked like bunk beds and fixed to the hull. I believe one of the other threads here has a picture of this type cabin with fixed beds.

Enjoy!

Archived