Hertz Car Rental

Berk987

HELP ME PLEASE !!!! I have had the most painful conversation with the Hertz girl. We're planning to rent a car for one day to tour El Yunque.

Rainforest girl suggested it was better than go private ($350). We're still exploring our options but December will be here before you know it.

I've read postings on Hertz/Sheraton OSJ and Charlie Car Rental. Called Charlie and the agent wasn't very nice on the phone or responsive and cannot guarantee me two boosters unless I call the day before which I told him, I'll be at sea and can't.

So Charlie is a no good and the next on the list is Hertz since I've read so many postings.

OK....Sheraton, they close at 4pm (why? don't know plus they are closed for lunch 12-1 so I can't get a car earlier than 1pm). Which is fine since ship docks at noon. Problem, we CANNOT return it to valet, pay the extra and get valet to return it to Hertz the next day. They apparently don't do that anymore - true? Hotel wants to keep more parking spaces for themselves is what the Hertz agent said. NO LATE DROP OFF per Hertz agent. They used to before but not now. Darn it. I could p/up from Sheraton and return to Caribe Hilton. no extra fee, park in the designated Hertz spots and drop off key and paperwork in the drop box at the hotel lobby. NO EXTRA FEE - great.

Problem...GPS tracker not allowed since it is p/up at one location and drop off at another ---darn it.

Next solution....p/up and do late drop off at Caribe Hilton.

So is all this true? How far is the Caribe Hilton from the pier, assuming Holland America comes in between pier 1-6 and not the Pan American Pier.

taxi costs back and forth?

Plus I must get a mid-size car to get the GPS. Fine.

Mid-size, GPS, 2 booster seats, about $89. Doesn't include extra insurance or paying for gas to fill up. So I'm guessing the whole day might cost us under $200. Still cheaper than private tour of $350 but will it be stressful?

How is driving from OSJ to El Yunque? Tell me the truth? bad roads? Good signs? If it was just me and DH I wouldn't worry so much but with 2 kids, I always worry. Ship leaves at 8pm, boarding probably 7ish so we have at least 6 hours to get there, tour around, get back. cross fingers that we don't get too lost. I speak Spanish so that is a saving grace.

Anyone know if there are lots of gas stations around or should we get their package where you pay for a full tank and return it back whatever way and no refunds. How much gas do we need to/from El Yunque? Where is the nearest gas station? Regular stations like Shell, BP and Amoco?

Any of what the Hertz agent said makes sense? I was on the phone with her for at least 30 mins. HELP. Thanks.

We did a car rental through Hertz Sheraton OSJ (Nov,'09) very convenient. It ist just across the street from where HAL docks. We were able to return to Sheraton using the valet, but sounds as though they changed their policy, so can't help you there.

Gas stations, easy to find.

GPS-we had it, but probably would have done better had we looked at maps before we got there and known our exit numbers. Had one or two "recalculations" on the way to the rainforest, no problems coming home. GPS really came in handy when we were finished at the rainforest, and we found out we were only a few minutes from the beach so got to spend some time there.

Drivers were a little crazy but nothing worse than any major city in the US

Do you have a smartphone with GPS in it? You can use that instead of renting a designated GPS unit.[/QUOte]

That's what we did. A map or directions would have been just fine, though (although the GPS helped us when I got us lost getting gas before turning the car in to the airport!)

I am planning a similar trip for October 30th. If you use AAA card (3 digit club code) as the CDP code it's about $10 off and includes one child seat.

The Hertz.com's Sheraton location says "Located across from Pier 1 thru 6. Panamerican pier is not within walking distance from the Sheraton. It is 6 miles. After Hours - After hours returns are allowed using the hotel valet service. A $18.00 service fee will apply. Vehicle may be returned to the San Juan Airport at no additional charge" as of this morning. If you are not comfortable relying on the web info, return the car to the Marriot, Caribe location, or airport - I believe it's a short cab ride back to the pier.

If your trip is before 10/30, let me know how you make out.

We are on X Summit, hopefully that's Pier 1-6? Does someone know where X docks?

You should be fine with timing, if anything you'll run out of time before the park closes.

It's an easy drive, highway/4-lane roads until you get near the rainforest, then windy 2-lane roads up into the park.

Sorry to hear hertz doesn't allow you to return to the valet, that would have been the best option. Would it be possible for you to take your own boosters and rent from Charlie's?

Archived