Need help getting to the pier?!?!

cruisincantwait

We are sailing on the Carnival Conquest June 26. We plan to fly in on June 25, & stay overnight at the Hampton Inn at 1201 Convention Center Blvd. We have 4 adults & 3 children in our party. 2 of the adults are over 80 yrs old, but ambulatory not even a walker or a cane needed. 2 of the kids are under 5yrs old.

How would you suggest we get to the Carnival port? Or would you suggest staying somewhere else? If so, where????

Thanks for any help you can provide!

This is where we're staying too. The hotel told us the port is right around the corner (walking distance). Somebody posted it is the closest hotel to the port. But, others have said this is not true. So.......I will be checking this post to see what replies come up. If we have to take a taxi, I've heard it's $7pp, from any hotel in the city.

PS.........did you make your reservations recently? If not, check their website because the summer rates have been lowered. I originally booked for $111 (including taxes), but a couple of nights ago was able to change the rate to $71 (including taxes). Not bad for a place with free breakfast!

You can walk, but hauling your luggage? Especially the 80+ and under 5. It it is warm and humid in June.

Taxis are $7pp from any of the hotels in the downtown area, not from any hotel in the city. $10 if only one person. Doesn't matter if they take you 1 block or 10. Quite a racket, but that's how it is.

It is the closest to the Conquest if you are a pigeon. But between you and the ship is the convention center and you can't cut through it. You need to go to Julia Street or Henderson Street to cut over. Even so, it might be the closest if you go the Henderson Street route.

http://www.google.com/local?q=hampton+inn&hl=en&lr=&sa=G&near=new+orleans,+la&sl=1&sc=1&latlng=29954444,-90075000,17823203760473050969&radius=0.000000&dm=large

And zoom in a couple of clicks for the hotel.

The Conquest will be where it says Cruise terminal Number 1 loading:

http://www.portno.com/cruise_parking.htm

I stay with relatives, not hotels in New Orleans, so am not sure of the amnenities, etc., but I might be tempted to stay at the Holiday Inn Select on Convention Blvd and take the shuttle from the Fulton Street Garage (across the street) to the ship (but think your hotel is probably nicer). Some hotels seem to have shuttles to the ships. You hotel may be one (or you may be able to bribe them):

http://www.neworleanshamptoninns.com/conventioncenter.html

http://www.hamptoninn.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml;jsessionid=5JUY3IPFFAKVECSGBIYMVCQKIYFCXUUC?moreDesc=true&ctyhocn=MSYLAHX

If not, from your hotel, perhaps some could walk and some could taxi?

We have stayed at the Hampton Inn. Very nice and very convenient. No shuttle to the port though.(They do have one to the French Quarter that runs 'till around mid-night. I would take a taxi(s). It would be quite a walk.

It it is warm and humid in June.

It is HOT in June. Don't want to be walking around in the sun if you don't have to.

cruisincantwait,

I looked at the map and Hampton Inn would be a long walk for you.

Like I posted on my thread. Courtyard by Marriott and Embassy Suites are 3 blocks from port. We wheeled our luggage down Julia and turned right at the railroad tracks, it was one more block to the terminal entrance. We had 14 people and a lot of luggage. One group left the hotel at 11:00 and we arrived 10 min. later. Then 3 people went back to get more luggage and my elderly parents (70 and 76). By the time we had everyone at the port and all the luggage it was 11:30. Either one of these hotels would work for you.

Thanks Indiaksue!

I might try pricing out rooms at those places. I just want it to be as easy as it can be for my grandparents. This is their Christmas present from us for 2005. YEAH!!! They are both very excited! They cruised some 20yrs ago, & cant wait to see how it has changed & enjoy all the food. LOL!!

• 2 weeks later...

We took a taxi from the Ambassador Hotel to the cruise terminal. It cost $15 for two passengers. The taxi driver said traffic was bad and he would drop us off one block over from the terminal. He went on to say it was an easy walk.

At the time I did not relize the taxi was a set price. I'm used to a meter ticking. Well I agreed thinking it would save a few dollar. This turned out to be a bad decision. The "one block' walk carrying two very large pieces of luggage was more like 4 blocks. We went down one block toward the river, then had to cross some railroad tracks at a crossing with no sidewalks. Then turn north and brave the trucks, buses, taxis and cars on a congested pier that had no sidewalks. Often I had to press up against a building as traffic went by.

There was a steady stream of others cruisers walking the same route. Made me feel bad to see elderly people stuggling to get to the Conquest. I feel that the taxi driver was deceptive and only wanted to get me out of his cab as soon as possible so he could go on to pick up his next victim.

My advice is to tell the cab driver to take you all the way to the terminal and drop you off in front of the terminal door where the ship's porters will check in your bags. Front door service does not cost extra.

:o You've had your share of bad luck in N.O. First the hotel, and then the walk. Yes, I agree that the cab driver really did you a bad turn. That's uncalled for, and shameful that he took advantage of you.

After all that - I hope y'all had a GREAT and FANTASTIC voyage!:confused:

Archived