QV Boarding Times

spucka4

Hi all,

We are exciting to be sailing on the QV Med Ancient Treasures cruise on 12 Nov 2010 in a Brittania balcony cabin (first time on Cunard & first time to the Med).

On our on-line personal travel summary details our boarding time is between 3pm - 345pm. However, we have been advised by Cunard in our home town that boarding is from midday.

I was wondering if the midday time would be a general start time and whether Cunard has a staggered boarding time for different passengers (which would make sense).

We do not want to arrive at port around 1pm only to have to wait till 3pm to board.

Any ideas from previous Cunarders would be appreciated.

Graeme:)

We had our first cruise on the queen Victoria in may this year. She is a wonderful ship and exceeded our high expectations. We so enjoyed our holiday that we went on her again about a month later as an extra little treat!

We too had a Britannia balcony and boarding was I think stated about 3pm. I think we arrived at 2.30 and were ushered straight through by friendly staff and were on board with luggage already delivered within about 40 minutes which was excellent.

I hope you enjoy your time on queen Victoria. We have booked again for next May, far too long to wait!

My understanding and experience is that boarding times issued to passengers are staggered to spread out the load, but you will not be told to wait if you arrive earlier than your assigned time. We were given a 2:30 boarding time (which was later updated to 3:00) for the QM2 in Brooklyn, but since we were driving in from a few hours away we arrived a little before 1 PM. There was a bit of a line but overall not bad. Later when I left the ship briefly around 3:00 the checkin area was almost empty. If I were to do it again I'd try to delay my arrival a bit, while still allowing for unplanned events en route to the pier.

Cunard do stagger their times to avoid queues which cause passengers to moan. That said the process normally starts at 12 noon or a little earlier and there is no problem if you wish to arrive earlier than scheduled. You run the risk of the queue but I have had that later in the day as well. It is really the luck of the draw. enjoy the experience, the QV is a lovely ship.

They always seem pretty relaxed about boarding times and do not hold you to your specified time, but you may have a delay with your luggage arriving in your stateroom. Early boarding gives you time to explore the ship and put your towels on the loungers:D

Early boarding gives you time to ... put your towels on the loungers:D

I hope you are speaking metaphorically! (Although, thinking about it, I doubt there'll be a problem getting a sun lounger in Southampton in November :eek: ) :)

Archived