First Cruise-Budget question

BarleyJack

btw....I plan like you do. I even went so far as to make envelopes for each port (cab fare, tips, etc) and for "possible extra" tips for cabin steward, etc with money before we left. It works really well to do that. Then your spending money is just that, your spending money.

HAVE A GREAT TRIP!

Don't know if anyone mentioned..aside from the normal 10 a day required tips, which you can pre-pay if you like..they also usually give a small tip to the cabin stewards on your own..depending on the service, also they give an envelope to tip the Maitre-D. the last night of the trip. Up to you if you wish to tip them, also your waiter which you have the same one every evening meal. We try to at least tip the cabin stew. and waiter, cause they make very little and work very hard. Most of them send what they make back to thier families, who I understand live in poverty. So I try to be conciderate to them!

Okie doke. I don't post a lot but I do read a lot on here, so bear with me and excuse my ignorance LOL

We are sailing on the Legend-first cruise-aft wrap (yay!) and I have a money related question.

Cruise is paid off. Shore excursions are all booked and paid for. We don't drink. Don't plan on gambling (much). Have a dinner booked at the Golden Fleece. We know about the daily tips/auto charge to S/S. We are not "spa" people. Will buy a soda card (and I yes I drink enough of it to make it worthwhile-will purchase while at sea to save on taxes). Have no plans of buying: jewelry, art, gemstones or sig souvies in ports. Maybe t shirts, coffee mugs, etc. May partake in the laundry "special".

Is it possible we could get away with planning 50$ a day each (2 of us)? Just trying to get an idea.

Oh! one excursion does not inlcude transpo--to playa mia in cozumel, will have to factor that in too.

Thanks for any/all input!

You should be fine! We dont drink either. I usually get a photo of us on Formal night which will run you about 20.00-22.00 for an 8x10.

That sounds like a good amount to me - we've actually done it on less when we needed to. I'll forgo the "trinkets" and "souveniers" in order to be on the cruise itself if I have to...

Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't know if anyone mentioned..aside from the normal 10 a day required tips, which you can pre-pay if you like..they also usually give a small tip to the cabin stewards on your own..depending on the service, also they give an envelope to tip the Maitre-D. the last night of the trip. Up to you if you wish to tip them, also your waiter which you have the same one every evening meal. We try to at least tip the cabin stew. and waiter, cause they make very little and work very hard. Most of them send what they make back to thier families, who I understand live in poverty. So I try to be conciderate to them!

Not sure who "they" is supposed to refer to. I'm not sure it is accurate to say that all passengers "usually" hand out extra tips as you describe. In my experience, there are some passengers who regularly tip above the auto-tips. But most passengers tip extra for exceptional service. By definition, "exceptional" service is the exception, not the norm.

Based on what you are saying you can get by on $20 pp/pd.

A side not regarding the soda card. Do not drink even one soda before you get to open sea (which is about 7:30) or the "savings" on the tax will be lost. The "tax" is only about $1.50 so it is really not worht the effort to wait.

I think that's when you're drinking your carry-on quota which, if you're like me, lasts for the whole cruise!

Even buying alcohol as we felt the urge, soda card and tips, my husband and I totaled 450 for the 7 day cruise. We purchased some souvenirs on board wine with dinner and even treated our cruise partners to a few drinks. This included an excursion.

The extra we spent on shore and for excursions not purchased on ships, we may have spent around 300 dollars if that much. Like has been stated before it is all inclusive. I often remind people considering cruising that it is a great deal. If you have self control, take advantage of the option to bring on your sodas, water, or wine and pre-pay tips, you can cruise for no additional money.:D Our "Dream" cruise in October is totally paid for with Carnival Fun Points, Airfare courtesy of Capital One and one week in our Orlando time share. Can't wait!!!!! 21 1/2 more days until we leave El Paso!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived