Leaving QM2 in Soton

hcrane

I know this has been asked a thousand times before, but what time can you expect to be off QM2 in Soton?

If you carry your own bags, can you leave at any time or do you have to be one of the first off?

If I'm flying out of Heathrow, what is a reasonable time for the fiight?

Lastly, am I correct in figuring about 90 minutes for the drive by car?

Thanks,

Crane

I know this has been asked a thousand times before, but what time can you expect to be off QM2 in Soton?

If you carry your own bags, can you leave at any time or do you have to be one of the first off?

If I'm flying out of Heathrow, what is a reasonable time for the fiight?

Lastly, am I correct in figuring about 90 minutes for the drive by car?

Thanks,

Crane

You forgot "How long is a piece of string....."

Seriously, if you self help you can get off early - assuming no problems. You'll be then into rush hour traffic. Ninety minutes is a very good time - but could be double that if there is trouble on the motorway.

If it were me, I'd be looking at a flight in the late afternoon, or early evening, having departed normally from the ship and then travelling over the later part of the morning.

The whole thing would be less stressful.

Why are you seeking to leave England so promptly?

You forgot "How long is a piece of string....."

Seriously, if you self help you can get off early - assuming no problems. You'll be then into rush hour traffic. Ninety minutes is a very good time - but could be double that if there is trouble on the motorway.

If it were me, I'd be looking at a flight in the late afternoon, or early evening, having departed normally from the ship and then travelling over the later part of the morning.

The whole thing would be less stressful.

Why are you seeking to leave England so promptly?

Maybe I should have asked how to push that piece of string?:rolleyes:

Thanks for your thoughts - yes, why rush off after a very relaxing time on QM2? As to why I want to leave England so promptly, I want to go someplace Nice:D (BA have a departure about 4pm from LHR).

Best regards

Crane

Maybe I should have asked how to push that piece of string?:rolleyes:

Thanks for your thoughts - yes, why rush off after a very relaxing time on QM2? As to why I want to leave England so promptly, I want to go someplace Nice:D (BA have a departure about 4pm from LHR).

Best regards

Crane

Eurostar/TGV would be my preference. Get to London, stay the night and catch a train the following morning.

Or go to Paris the day you dock, and then down to Nice the next day.....

You wont have a problem getting to Heathrow for a 4pm flight at all, how do you intend getting there, Train, car or bus.

Depending on traffice it is one hour to the airport, long if you hit the southampton traffic, if youleave the ship around 9am you miss the traffic and be there around 11am.

soton traffice is bad at times but only as far the motorway

You wont have a problem getting to Heathrow for a 4pm flight at all, how do you intend getting there, Train, car or bus.

Depending on traffice it is one hour to the airport, long if you hit the southampton traffic, if youleave the ship around 9am you miss the traffic and be there around 11am.

soton traffice is bad at times but only as far the motorway

Google suggests 82 minutes via M3/M25, 104 minutes A34/M4.

Eurostar/TGV would be my preference. Get to London, stay the night and catch a train the following morning.

Or go to Paris the day you dock, and then down to Nice the next day.....

I agree with this, anything to get away from heathrow,such a nice way to travel as well

On my last two crossings, self-help disembarkation started at 7:00. We were told we could disembark at any time after that. We had a leisurely breakfast and left about 8:00.

On our last crossing of QE2 in April 2008 we were told we had to disembark within 30 minutes of the start of self-help disembarkation and if we did not we would have to wait. It wasn't clear for what we would be waiting because, having registered for self-help, we did not have colour-coded luggage labels. So we left the QE2 by 7:30 and were at the railway station, with Britrail passes validated and ready to travel, by 8:00. Fortunately the QM2 has a more reasonable policy.

Agreed - we've done the rail trip a couple of times. Just to add, if you get the Eurostar direct to Lille from St Pancras, it's simply a matter of changing platforms before going onward to Nice; from Paris, you have to cross the city by taxi. You'll whizz down as far as Marseilles, thereafter the line is very slow, but much of this part of the journey is absolutely lovely.

A most civilised way of getting to a most civilised city.

Mary

It's been St. Pancras International for some while now. Much improved and a great option. Bang next door to Kings X as well.

I was there (Waterloo) 2 years ago, and thought I'd seen Eurostar signs.

Unless they were in the process of changing things that month.

Thanks for the info, WD. ;)

Archived