Princess newbie with liquor question???

murphyis1

I'm not new to cruising, just to Princess. A rez rep told me I could buy liquor at the non-duty free price on board and take it to my room for consumption. Someone I know who cruised with Princess two weeks ago told me that was not the case on their cruise. I know reps frequently give out incorrect info, so I know my Cruise Critic friends will know for sure. Thanks for your help!

The information that Princess posts as their policy is different than what actually happens on the ship most of the time. Here's their official policy in the Passage Contract:

No alcohol may be purchased or consumed by any Passengers under the age of 21. No Passenger under the age of 21 shall be permitted to engage in any gaming activities on board the ship. No Passenger under the age of 18 shall be permitted to purchase cigarettes or tobacco products. Passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind (except wine and champagne) on board for consumption. You must surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last day of the voyage. A corkage fee of $15.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship's restaurants.

People break this policy by bringing aboard beer or liquor in their checked baggage or carry-on without Princess saying anything most of the time, but like so many other policies they have in place Princess is terrible about showing any kind of consistency.

Wine and champagne has never been a problem to bring on board. I have seen the liquor rule enforced by security at ports tho some manage to sneak in on at embarkation in their checked luggage.

You can by liquor on board thru room service... I believe all are 375 ml bottles....they seemed pricy to me. You cannot take liquor purchased at the duty free shop on board to your room.

You CANNOT buy liquor on board as duty free and take it to your room. You CAN buy 375ml packages for an exhorbitant price to have in your room - or - you can purchase liquor before the cruise annd place it in your checked luggage. It has always worked for me.

Some posters are going to tell you that you can carry it on. Do not take this as FACT. It may or may not be confiscated. Why take the chance??

People break this policy by bringing aboard beer or liquor in their checked baggage or carry-on without Princess saying anything most of the time, but like so many other policies they have in place Princess is terrible about showing any kind of consistency.

Since liquor policy seems to be enforced a bit arbitrary ship to ship, does anyone have direct experience sailing on the Sea Princess? We are going to bring 2 or 3 bottles of wine on board at embarcation in San Francisco on Oct 9th. Will they take and hold any wine bought subsequently at one of the ports of call?

Thanks

We have purchased beer in several ports on our travels over 9 cruises and just carry it on the ship. Beer is allowed for carry on as well as wine and bubbly. When we pass through security they always ask where the party is but have never taken our beer.

Yes you can bring wine on purchased in port.

We have purchased beer in several ports on our travels over 9 cruises and just carry it on the ship. Beer is allowed for carry on as well as wine and bubbly. When we pass through security they always ask where the party is but have never taken our beer.

Yes you can bring wine on purchased in port.

That has been our experience as well. Once in Roatan we boarded with a case of Port Royal and sat it on the scanner. One security person asked, "What is your cabin number?" I sheepishly told him and then he said, "We will be up later to help you sample that":D

We have never had any problems openly boarding with beer and wine.

Mike:)

On Princess the odds that they'll confiscate you liquor is definitely in your favor. In over 25 years of cruising Princess we've never had it confiscated at embarkation or turned it over for safe keeping at other ports.

I'm sure you are speaking from authority. I don't know which cruiselines or which ships you have cruised on but in my 28 Princess cruises I HAVE seen carryon liquor confiscated both at ports of call and embarcation ports. Which is why I will not advise people to carry on liquor when it is safer and just as easy to put it in your checked luggage. I have never had a problem this way.

That has been our experience as well. Once in Roatan we boarded with a case of Port Royal and sat it on the scanner. One security person asked, "What is your cabin number?" I sheepishly told him and then he said, "We will be up later to help you sample that":D

We have never had any problems openly boarding with beer and wine.

Mike:)

Mike , we often get asked our room number too!! Especially if we have both beer and wine.

Forunately Princess security seems to be more interested in actual security than being the booze police.

Haven't noticed lately but several years ago most of the security personnel were retired Gurkas. Not to be messed with.

I'm sure you are speaking from authority. I don't know which cruiselines or which ships you have cruised on but in my 28 Princess cruises I HAVE seen carryon liquor confiscated both at ports of call and embarcation ports. Which is why I will not advise people to carry on liquor when it is safer and just as easy to put it in your checked luggage. I have never had a problem this way.

If you check luggage then it's best as you say but we don't ever check anything & still have never had it confiscated. Either way when embarking the ship they just done care or check. If they did there would be a lot of unhappy sober cruisers.

If you check luggage then it's best as you say but we don't ever check anything & still have never had it confiscated. Either way when embarking the ship they just done care or check. If they did there would be a lot of unhappy sober cruisers.

Then explain why have I seen it confiscated upon embarcation????

So..some say there is no problem...some say there is...

bottom line is it is against Princess policy ...taking it aboard as a carry-on is a risk.... checking it in your luggage greatly minimizes that risk. Out of all the many posts on this subject, I don't recall anyone ever saying liquor was confiscated in their checked luggage.

I have sailed 9 times with Princess on 6 of her ships and have always brought wine on board at embarkation with my back pack-I have brought up to six btls of wine and never had them taken. Princess does not care about wine/champagne or if you purchase a btl or two at the liquor shop when you check in.

They will however take your btls when you go to island ports and bring them on board-they will hold them till the end of the cruise.

I have seen luggage tags placed on cases of water and beer when you arrive to embark and never an issue. This was out of Ft lauderdale and SJU.

I always bring enough liquor aboard for DW and I to have a drink before dinner. I use the Rum Runner flasks and put them checked luggage. I often bring a 6 pack of beer aboard in hand luggage in port cities and never had a problem.

However a couple of weeks ago on a B/B I purchased some duty free liquor in the ship's shop and it was delivered to our cabin on the last full day of our first cruise...I don't know if this is always the case or a mix-up on the part of the shop.

I always bring enough liquor aboard for DW and I to have a drink before dinner. I use the Rum Runner flasks and put them checked luggage. I often bring a 6 pack of beer aboard in hand luggage in port cities and never had a problem.

However a couple of weeks ago on a B/B I purchased some duty free liquor in the ship's shop and it was delivered to our cabin on the last full day of our first cruise...I don't know if this is always the case or a mix-up on the part of the shop.

If you buy it on board then they always hold it till the last day. Most people who buy it on board intend to take it home anyway.

UtterCaro,

Thanks for the link. I think many people misunderstood my question. I'm not trying to smuggle liquor onboard. I'm simply asking if I can buy liquor onboard (non-duty-free prices) and drink it in my room. Glad to know I can!

Murphy

You're more than welcome. Yep, misunderstanding happens a lot on these boards, and nearly every thread containing the word "liquor" turns into a smuggling/confiscation discussion. Glad I could help.

Caro

Archived