Cutting Cruise short?

Sarmty

ejeffo.....Well Said....or should I say Sung!

Being a workaholic myself I understand the value of family time and vacations. Time set aside is quality time for family, friends and most importantly yourself!.

I look forward to hearing the resolution.

Bon Voyage

djp

I think Firefly has the right advice here in terms of sheer logistics. Skype and/or internet cafe could probably take care of it.

But I'm sure your husband has other considerations that might mitigate against going on the cruise. Generally, people at work don't like covering for people. Similarly, folks on the other side or other participants may be put off by having to deal with a vacationer on conference call or Skype-- after all, they're at work. My guess is that your husband will have to prepare for his meeting and that would likely impact the other days of your cruise as well.

I guess if my importance was really needed even if only for appearances or for a critical work need, I'd probably, sadly, pass on the cruise. Those little intangibles like what one thinks of you at work can really affect a career.

Not trying to hijack, but to digress, I have a funny story from the days when I was a prince-of-the-universe in NYC way back when I was a puppy. I was in love-- my first real love with a beautiful woman at a time when I thought that everything in the future was mine. (Did I tell you I was really young?)

I had a house in the Hamptons and had planned a huge party to introduce my g/f to my family and friends. Then a big deal intruded. I had to work that weekend I learned about on the Thursday before the Saturday party. I was devastated. This was a big deal for me. I wanted to show off the house, my success and the g/f.

No problem, I spent an enormous amount of the client's money and flew 98 miles from NYC to East Hampton Saturday afternoon. The girlfriend, the cat, family and friends were already at my house. My GF picked me up at the airport at 5:30 for a 6:30 dinner. My plan was to leave at 7:30 the next morning in time for my next meeting.

What a disaster caused by my own arrogance! My brief appearance cost a fortune, stressed out everybody and was unbelievably pretentious both to family and friends and my colleagues on the transaction. I should have just cancelled the whole thing. Again, I was young and stupid then, but it taught me a lesson.

Hi -

We are scheduled to cruise on the Freedom in just over 2 weeks. My Hubby has just found out there is a huge meeting he has to attend during the time we are cruising. Is it allowed for him to get on the ship with us but when we stop in Key West he will just fly home? Is there a penalty we will have to pay for him leaving the ship? Would he be allowed to reboard the boat in Jamaica?

Does anyone know if there is any way to call into a meeting from the ship on a day at sea? I know the cost would be outrageous, but are the ship phones good quality or would it drop the call constantly?

We would cancel alltogether, but there is a group of family members going and it's not fair to cancel at this late date.

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated!

If you have trip insurance or airfare insurance, you might look at having him miss the ship in Fort Lauderdale and fly into Jamaica, or better Grand Cayman once the meetings are over. But that limits his cruise time. If a phone connection cannot be worked out or if he can't catch the ship in Grand Cayman, he might even consider dropping the cruise entirely.

My wife had her vacation approval in writing for 6 months, the night before the cruise her superviser calls and left a message that due to manpower shortage her vacation was cancelled.

We were like *****??? Ignored the message and came home to a certified termination notice and 6 months of unemployment(stretched out vacation)

Thanks MATC in Miramar

My wife had her vacation approval in writing for 6 months, the night before the cruise her superviser calls and left a message that due to manpower shortage her vacation was cancelled.

Ha! There is no way on earth I would stand for that, even if being fired was certain. Who in good conscience could work for an organization like that.

They may as well just have given her a bucket of horse manure and told her to pour it on her head or else she would be fired!

And what if she did not get the message? Fired for not checking home voice mail? Probably would not have reimbursed her for the lost cruise cost, not to mention the inconvenience to the family. I would have taken the severance and then found an attorney and soaked the idiots for every cent I could.:mad: You would have a hard time finding a jury that would NOT find in your favor!

We were like *****??? Ignored the message and came home to a certified termination notice and 6 months of unemployment(stretched out vacation)

Thanks MATC in Miramar

They did your wife a favor;)

I'm actually really curious about this too- if you miss the ship in a domestic port are you fined? Where if you miss it at a foreign port you're just screwed?

They are just passing on a fee...

See below.

The Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886 (sometimes abbreviated to PVSA, Passenger Services Act, or PSA) is a piece of United States legislation which came into force in 1886 relating to cabotage. Essentially, it says:

No foreign vessels shall transport passengers between ports or places in the United States, either directly or by way of a foreign port, under a penalty of $200 (now $300) for each passenger so transported and landed.

Thanks MATC in Miramar

How do they know that you didn't leave a day earlier. Like others say: it is not a place that I would want to work for or be associated with - also, I truly think you definitely have recourse and should take them to the labour board (if the US has such a thing which I believe you do) this is something that should be addressed if not for yourself but for others in similar situations.

The Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886 (sometimes abbreviated to PVSA, Passenger Services Act, or PSA) is a piece of United States legislation which came into force in 1886 relating to cabotage. Essentially, it says:

No foreign vessels shall transport passengers between ports or places in the United States, either directly or by way of a foreign port, under a penalty of $200 (now $300) for each passenger so transported and landed.

This may sound silly, but does that also apply to passengers who miss the ship?

I did just call Carnival. While they said it is possible, it would be a $300.00 fee.

Our Itnenerary is:

10/3 - FLL

10/4 - Key West

10/5 - Sea

10/6 - Grand Cayman

10/7 - Ocho Rios

10/8 - Sea

10/9 - FLL

His meeting is in DC on the 6th and 7th. If only we weren't at sea on the days on either side, he would miss less time.

I am interested in checking out the video conferencing option - I'll call Carnival about that.

Thank you all for your help!

So what would the "Fee" be if he "missed the ship" when leaving Key West? And he would have to make his own way to the next port. Darn it took a few extra days to get there.

Hi -

We are scheduled to cruise on the Freedom in just over 2 weeks. My Hubby has just found out there is a huge meeting he has to attend during the time we are cruising. Is it allowed for him to get on the ship with us but when we stop in Key West he will just fly home? Is there a penalty we will have to pay for him leaving the ship? Would he be allowed to reboard the boat in Jamaica?

Does anyone know if there is any way to call into a meeting from the ship on a day at sea? I know the cost would be outrageous, but are the ship phones good quality or would it drop the call constantly?

We would cancel alltogether, but there is a group of family members going and it's not fair to cancel at this late date.

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated!

The Carnival Freedom sails from Ft. Lauderdale to Key West. If your husband leaves the ship in Key West it would be a violation of the PVSA.

I don't know about the ship's phone performance. However, if your husband is going to call in, then I suggest he do so from a cell phone. The cost per minute will be less.

The other thing he can do is board with you on Sunday. Inform Carnival that he is leaving BEFORE THE SHIP LEAVES FT. LAUDERDALE, and that he will catch up with the ship in Grand Cayman. This way he will not be in violation of the PVSA.

The only two days this ship is at sea on this itinerary is between Key West and Grand Cayman and between Jamaica and Ft. Lauderdale. If the meeting is on Wednesday, then see if he can call in from Grand Cayman.

Thank you for all the suggestions! The main problem is my husband is pretty high up in the company and the even higher ups are all coming into town for the meeting. My husband has made an offer to fly to thier area the week after we return to have a one-on-one with the people. We are just waiting to hear back. It looks like if he has to be at the meeting, he will just have to stay home all together - it seems too crazy to try to meet up with us. I'll let you know what happens!

Thank you for all the suggestions! The main problem is my husband is pretty high up in the company and the even higher ups are all coming into town for the meeting. My husband has made an offer to fly to thier area the week after we return to have a one-on-one with the people. We are just waiting to hear back. It looks like if he has to be at the meeting, he will just have to stay home all together - it seems too crazy to try to meet up with us. I'll let you know what happens!

Well, it sure was nice of your husband's company to book a mandatory meeting on short notice right in the middle of a non-refundable vacation. I am sure glad I don't work there.

My DH had to miss a Mediterranean cruise with me because of a work situation. :( Stuff happens!

Now, what type of fare did you get? Will you be able to find someone else to go in your DH place, and pay to change the name on the reservation? Remember this cannot be done with Early Saver. I also don't think that insurance would take care of this. Hopefully, your husbands company will pay for his missed cruise.

I also like the idea of call in sick or get someone else to go

what an unreasonable situation

however....Grand Cayman is pretty "business' oriented with all those banks

surely they have internet cafes and probably even "business offices" /business service offices???

I would think Jamaica at least has internet cafes

also what about contacting hotels/resorts ...they may have business conferencing hook ups that could be rented by the hour??

I think it is just unreasonable to expect the poor guy to fly to Jamaica to board the ship for like 2 nights

Thanks MATC in Miramar

This has happened at my job also (well but the official firing). Vacations are bid in November of the year prior. Due to "staffing issues" the company cancelled everyone's vacations during a certain month. The problem was, the "staffing issues" were the company's own fault because they refused to hire anyone to be more cost effective.

It didn't fly and people called in sick during their respective vacation days.

Due to "staffing issues" the company cancelled everyone's vacations during a certain month. The problem was, the "staffing issues" were the company's own fault because they refused to hire anyone to be more cost effective.

It all boiled down to someone's greed trumping someone else's life.

During the economic downturn, people would probably fear for their jobs when faced with a firm order to cancel vacation. With the situation improving, I hope more people will tell company managers to solve their own problems and suffer the consequences of their own decsions.

Fortunately, most workplaces are not like that, and word gets around fast about the bad apples.

Archived