Stay in Fort Lauderdale or Miami?

addicted2cruizin

Hello,

I am in charge of planning my family's cruise next summer. There will be 12 of us (10 adults and 2 teens). We are all flying in at different times (some into FLL and some into MIA) I will be flying into MCO a couple days early and driving down.

I am looking for hotels with short walks to restaurants & shopping. I am interested in several of the hotels on 17th Street in Fort Lauderdale, such as Embassy Suites. Is there a neighborhood in Miami with similar amenities?

Thanks

Addicted

The 17th Street equivalent in Miami would be Blue Lagoon, or Doral. Blue Lagoon area is an enormous office park complex and there are similar mid-priced hotels and chain restaurants. You'll probably be able to stumble across some half-way decent Cuban food in the area.

Doral is out by the legendary golf course. It's also closer to MIA so many of the properties out there will have shuttles from MIA, most will be able to arrange for shuttle transport to POM from there. Doral has good Cuban food (Las Vegas) and lots of drug stores for things you might want to take on the ship with you (soda, water, wine, etc.)

The Embassy Suites-Airport has a fly, sleep, cruise deal. For $159 you get free shuttle from airport, one seat on a POM shuttle (additional seats are $10), hot breakfast and manager's reception. What's nice about Embassy Suites is that there's a bedroom and a sitting room, super-good for families with teens.

Given that you'll be in Florida in the summer, you might be able to swing a deal on Miami Beach. Check out the Sagamore. It's a boutique-type hotel with different rooms. With as large a party as you have, you might get a great deal.

Another option would be the Westin Diplomat resort in Hollywood. No free shuttles, but a wonderful property with one of the best pools in South Florida. A few good restaurants in the area, with a trolley that will take you to the beach/boardwalk. I've seen rates like $89-$109.

You have plenty of time to plan. The one thing I'd caution about is hurricanes. Be SURE to get the insurance, just in case!

Archived